Updated three round mock | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated three round mock

I have one major problem with Joaquin Gonzalez. And this is an opinion of guys that know more about football than I do. If I am not mistaking, isn't the NFL Combine for the top 300 prospects in the nation? And also, if I'm not mistaking again, I don't recall Joaquin Gonzalez getting invited. It wasn't that he didn't go, I don't think he even got the invitation. That means that the guys who run the combine (or whoever invites the players) obviously didn't think he was very good. And they know a lot more than I do. Also, he is under-sized. I think we should pass on him.

Gonzalez worked out but I don't know about the combine. Gonzalez is certainly one of the top 300 players in the draft and he is projected to go in the third round by most people.

LeCharles Bentley

I don't know much about LeCharles Bentley, but Mel Kiper has had him ranked in his top twenty five for several weeks know and I've heard some buzz about him. He's an OL who is best at center but can also play anywhere. I don't think he will fall into the third round.
He'd look great in a dolphins uniform though! Also I can't see the Raiders taking a reciever in the first, or second round this year. Anyone who they do take will not be third reciever next year because they have Jerry Porter who is very talented, and I think will be a star. I think they will wait a year intill Rice or Brown retires to draft a reciever. Rember they get the extra first and second round pick next year too.

Actually they only get the first round pick next year. The other 2nd rounder is in 2004.

Bentley is borderline first round material now.

Do they have LaBentley switching to guard

because I can't see him as a 1st round center...
nice O-lineman don't get me wrong, but he is a little bit of a character problem according to some scouts, and when I saw him play he could run-block, but seemed to allow pass rush from DTs

Sorry, I mean LeCharles Bentley...

not Charles LaBentley...
names start to run together.

Bentley must have had some impressionable workouts because he has risen steeply up most draftboards. I thought he was boarderline 2nd-or early 3rd round prospect, but now he seems to have some temas looking seriously at him.

Like someone mentioned, he cracker Kiper's top 25.....although sometimes you have to wonder what Kiper is thinking/taking.....hehehe

Kiper is always wrong. I think this mock draft of mine which I now think has a bunch of mistakes is more accurate than what Kiper thinks.

A few disagreements Ice.

The main one is Stallworth - he will go at #8 or higher. San Diego would be smart to lock up their triumvirate (Brees, Tomlinson & Stallworth) by taking Stallworth at #5 and Kansas City would bite your arm off to get him at #8 IMO.

Mike Williams has replaced Bryant McKinnie in some drafts as the No1 OT. A matter of opinion I guess though my personal preference is for McKinnie.

I think that the run on DT's is about right as you have it but that more WR's will be taken earlier than you have them listed at the moment.

Ed Reed is about 15 places too high - no way he goes before #25 - there's too much other quality around.

Pearson is a reach there IMO - Levi Jones maybe but both should still be available after #20.

I also think that you have too many CB's too early - Rumph is a second rounder at best. All the right attributes except he's too stiff in the turn and doesn't have naturally fluid movement. He'll do OK for someone but not in the first round.

Freeney will go in the 1st for someone who thinks he can help in their 4-3, that 40 time will be too much for some to ignore - I would be stunned and appalled if the Steelers took him though.

The Steelers have a boner for Lamont Thompson - if they can't trade down or up (Harris) that's who my money'd be on - even if Ed Reed is still there.

50. Houston - Bryan Thomas DE Alabama-Birmingham - Houston is using a 3-4 and they already have 2 good linemen, and in a 3-4 you need 3 dominant lineman, and Thomas would be the third.

Thomas doesn't have the size to play end in the 3-4. He's not solid enough against the run. Houston would pick him to be the LOLB ala Jason Gildon and try and get him to drop some weight. He is suspect in coverage though so he may be a better fit as a 4-3 RDE.

The rest is totally subjective - after all, who had Quicy Carter going to Dallas last year?

Good job Ice, keep it up!

I agree with your assesment of Stallworth, he should be an early selection. But Freeney would be a reach in rd 1. He is a midgit, how many 6' DEs are there? Not many, can't even think of one right now.

I'd pass on Freeney at all costs, even if he is fast and has approx 265lbs on his frame. Saw him get absolutely handled by Mount McKinnie the week he was talking all that trash about getting a sack against him.....to be fair tho, McKinnnie IS one of the best OTs regardless, college or pro.

I agree about Thomas not playing 3-4 end ompletely....I have him going to Arizona in the second round in my Mock(it's here on the board somewhere). He could be a good edge rusher tho......fast fast fast

I used to have Lelie at 8 but in my view Stallworth is now the number one one WR. San Diego will definetly go with McKinnie if he is there, remember if he goes early (Buffalo) the whole mock draft would change. Thanks for the analysis on Thomas, I don't know too much about him so I am not familar with his size but he does have talent. KC won't take a WR since they have Morton now and still have Minnis and Morris who was selected in the first few rounds (maybe even first, I don't remember) only 2 years ago.

Taken from CNNSIs Don Banks:

Kansas City, receiver: "Caution" must be the buzz word here. The Chiefs were thrilled to over-pay in secure Morton's services last week, believing as they do that he walks in the door as their No. 1 receiver. And that he does. But will the signing preclude Kansas City from using their No. 8 pick to upgrade the same position?

Opinion is varied. While the Chiefs didn't have a wide-out with more than the 33 catches turned in by rookie Marvin Minnis -- and Kansas City still plans to make Derrick Alexander a June cap casualty -- the addition of Morton could prompt them to look elsewhere in the first round. Especially since they took Minnis in last year's third round and receiver Sylvester Morris in the first round of 2000.

The thinking may be to address the need for a defensive tackle in the first round -- the Chiefs love Sims -- and still get another receiver at some point during the draft's first day. But we offer these two caveats: If Harrington should last until their pick, the Chiefs won't be able to pass on him. Also, some are convinced that Kansas City won't let Hawaii receiver Ashley Lelie slip by them.

------------------------------------------------

So you're right Ice - the buzz was Lelie but he's small school and was blanked out against some of the bigger teams that he played against this year. I think that that and Stallworths phenomenal workout have lifted him to be the No.1 guy. However with the depth at WR it would be very easy for the Chiefs to go DT first and WR second.

It's just a hunch about the Chiefs taking him - particularly if Jammer goes at 3 and confuses the whole issue. Buffalo could then c0ck up and not take Harrington giving a number of teams big boners for a franchise QB - including the Chiefs.

In our mock draft at Steelers Nation both OTs went before San Diego's pick! I was picking for the Chargers and I had to take Jammer at that stage as the best player on the board but I agree that the Chargers should take a Tackle. Whether they can pass up a player like Stallworth or not is another question entirely.

Thomas will be a Marcellus Wiley clone for someone - hell of a player.

And Freeney will go in the first - I can't get it myself but there are too many people that see a pass rusher that got it done against everyone except McKinnie - and no one got it done against him! His junior year he sacked Michael Vick three times in the VA game - no mean feat. But he is short so I guess we'll find out whether the NFL's standards hold to be true or not. Maybe New Orleans... who knows.

Gods but I love this time of year!

Back
Top Bottom