Upon Further Reflection...qb’s This Year... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upon Further Reflection...qb’s This Year...

Gotta love the draft! Year after year people claim "certainties" on players only to be shown again and again how wrong they were. Although they will remind you how right they got it the one time. Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers (to name a few) are some of the QBs in the game right now who many people leading up to the draft proclaimed could never be a franchise QB. All of these quarterbacks have the physical intangibles just like 95% of all drafted players have the physical intangibles or else they would have never made it to this stage. Once they are here it is 100% what's upstairs that matters because here for the first time in most of their lives the playing field is truly level. The mental makeup cannot be judged in meetings and interviews and is something that can only be shown over time. Crapshoot at it's finest in all reality

we have to draft a QB this year... who knows if the guy we get next year works out?... So whoever we draft this year may be a stud or a flop but we gotta go there

Miami is definitely doing their homework on this quarterback class. The team was one of five, I believe, to invite Haskins into their facility.

To me, this draft is Murray and Haskins and maybe Lock. I do think Lock could do well with a quarterback coach who can re-do his footwork. That's where he has problems. Sounds like Murray is "almost certain" to go #1 to Arizona. If Haskins suddenly falls a bit, he's one I'd trade up for. I really like Haskins and it would be interesting to see how the Dolphins rate him with qb's from the 2020 draft. Lock is the wildcard. If he's there at #13 do you take the chance? Does Miami have the right coaches in place to get the talent out of him?

I do like the plan of building the lines first, though. The Dolphins could get an offensive line in place before taking their franchise quarterback.

Another thought that just occurred to me. Miami is stockpiling picks for the 2020 draft. It's a great strategy if the team exceeds expectations and needs to move up for Tua, Herbert or Fromm. It also gives the Dolphins the leeway to use those picks to move up this year if they love one of the 2019 quarterbacks. Have to like what the front office is thinking. The team has the resources to get the qb of the future whether that is now or in 2020.

The problem with that is when was the last time you remember a team giving up on 1st after 1 year and drafted another QB top 10? If there's an example, someone out there in FH please provide it.

I believe what the Cardinals are about to do takes a lot of balls. I applaud them.

I would love to believe that our FO would have the same cojones. I'm with you. If you go 2-14 with a QB drafted this year, take another 1 atop the draft next year. But It's just not the way it's done.

It may be a waste of resources and exclamate what a $hit show this franchise has been/may continue to be. The reallity is, we should be that desperate to hit on a QB.
Actually, it would be a sane strategy to be quite honest. A lot of people on this forum seem to be fine with giving up a 1st round pick to move up to take a QB, so why are people so against taking QBs with 1st round picks two years in a row?

The resources used are exactly the same, except you have a better chance of one of them turning out to be "The Guy" WITH an off chance that if they both turn out to be good, you can get more than a 1st back for one of them in a trade.

Another thought that just occurred to me. Miami is stockpiling picks for the 2020 draft. It's a great strategy if the team exceeds expectations and needs to move up for Tua, Herbert or Fromm. It also gives the Dolphins the leeway to use those picks to move up this year if they love one of the 2019 quarterbacks. Have to like what the front office is thinking. The team has the resources to get the qb of the future whether that is now or in 2020.
You aren't going to be able to trade up for Tua no matter how many picks you have. You just have to be really, really bad.

I hope we don't touch a QB until the 4th or 5th round if then.

There could actually be 4 QB’s that are worthy 1st round prospects. I don’t think this class is as weak as a lot of the draftniks seemed to think pre-scouting combine/pro-day workouts. Kyler Murray choosing Football over baseball was huge and it seems like he will be the consensus number 1 overall pick, and is certainly the number 1 prospect.

Kyler Murray
Drew Lock
Dwayne Haskins
Ryan Finley

All 4 seem like solid 1st round prospects. Chris Simms had an excellent evaluation video that some others have posted on here, and several others I follow on twitter and the Internet have also done some solid research and really came up with some excellent points as to why all 4 of those guys could end up being good pros. I have also since watched some highlight reels of all 4 of those guys and they all look pretty good, very natural throwers of the football.

I think we shouldn’t trade up for any of them though. I think we sit at 13 and see if 1 of those 4 drop to us. If any of them do, then I think we should strongly consider taking any one of them. Also, if the Cardinals take Kyler Murray, then Rosen also becomes available, not sure I would want to trade for him, but another QB needy team might which could take them out of the running for a QB this year or next. At least there is NFL tape on Rosen, so you could probably get a pretty good idea of whether he is a bust or has enough upside to count as the 5th 1st round QB prospect in this draft.

If all 4 of those guys not named Rosen are taken (I wouldn’t trade for Rosen) before 13, then you have to figure next year there wouldn’t be too many teams ahead of us that would need a QB and we would have a very good chance to land either , Tua, Fromm, or Herbert whether by drafting in the top 5 or so, and/or by trading up for the the coaches and front office really want.

The teams that also need a QB are the Cardinals (because Murray seems to be an obvious upgrade), Giants, Broncos, Raiders (don’t seem sold on Carr), and Redskins who draft behind us this year.That’s 5 teams and potentially 4 first round prospects this year, and a 5th Rosen potentially available via trade.with 3 or 4 more potentially elite first round prospects also coming out next year. I would also suggest that the Lions could be in the market for an heir apparent to Matt Stafford.

My point? I’m actually optimistic that either this year or next we will be able to draft a solid franchise QB prospect depending upon how the draft falls this year, but I don’t think it’s worth trading much for because we also have so many other holes and our draft capital is very important right now.
Increased speculation that Grier from West Virginia is moving up the team Draft boards, as well.

I know we have a lot of holes to fill but what's to say if a guy falls to 13 like Haskins or we decide to take a chance on lock, that we still don't end up with the top pick next year and pull an Arizona, and trade the quarterback we pick this year if we somehow are able to get Tua and he's who we want.

I know we have a lot of holes to fill but what's to say if a guy falls to 13 like Haskins or we decide to take a chance on lock, that we still don't end up with the top pick next year and pull an Arizona, and trade the quarterback we pick this year if we somehow are able to get Tua and he's who we want.

I wouldn’t want to be that gm in the eyes of the owner

Increased speculation that Grier from West Virginia is moving up the team Draft boards, as well.

Doesn’t have a lot of arm talent. He is a mid to late round prospect I think

Will Grier is a gamer... Him or stick at the 5th or 6th I wouldnt mind at all.

Not sold on Lock at all. How'd he fair against the top defenses?

Grier I've liked since before he was a Gator.

Back
Top Bottom