Usain BOLT would run a 3.37 40yd dash | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Usain BOLT would run a 3.37 40yd dash

TrinidadDolfan

1st Team All-Pro
Reaction score
Can you believe this? Wow. Imagine him in a Fin's uniform as a receiver?

I know, I know.... who knows if he can even catch? There is sooooo much more to being a receiver that just plain speed, route running, etc etc... I remember when the Raiders drafted Carl Lewis "just in case" he decided to give football a chance.

BUT, it is great to dream huh? There wouldn't be a corner in the NFL that would stand a chance.

Here is a direct quote from ESPN track and field reporter Larry Rawson -

LR: "Forty yards, if he was being hand-timed by a scout and reacting to his movement - not electronically timed the way they do it [in track and field] - his 40-yard dash on a track, in spikes, would be 3.73 seconds."

Imagine we are playing the Pats, Bolt lined up on the side, ready to burn the corner, safety, and anyone else who thinks that they could keep up. Dreams are made of this!

Speed Kills

I doubt he would break the 4.0 mark. It is possible that he runs faster in the second portion of his runs and would be average in speed in the 40.

It takes a lot to strap pads and a helmet on and turn to catch or defend a ball. Sprinting form is out the window at that point.

First off, start times are slower, because they have to start.

And he can make so much more money internationally with endorsements. Like Carl Lewis did.

Why would he want to play football and make pennies in comparison ? And have a chance of getting hurt ruining his track career ?

He's a track and field runner, not a football player. Just like Renaldo Nehemiah who was a track guy and stunk up the field with the niners.

Can you believe this? Wow. Imagine him in a Fin's uniform as a receiver?

I know, I know.... who knows if he can even catch? There is sooooo much more to being a receiver that just plain speed, route running, etc etc... I remember when the Raiders drafted Carl Lewis "just in case" he decided to give football a chance.

BUT, it is great to dream huh? There wouldn't be a corner in the NFL that would stand a chance.

Here is a direct quote from ESPN track and field reporter Larry Rawson -

LR: "Forty yards, if he was being hand-timed by a scout and reacting to his movement - not electronically timed the way they do it [in track and field] - his 40-yard dash on a track, in spikes, would be 3.73 seconds."

Imagine we are playing the Pats, Bolt lined up on the side, ready to burn the corner, safety, and anyone else who thinks that they could keep up. Dreams are made of this!

Speed Kills

Is this Al Davis writing? Big Al go back and take your meds...

Seriously??? There's not enough going on in Phins world that you start this thread??? :m359:

no way, this is the best reasoning towards what his 40 yard dash time would be that i saw

Sprinters start at a speed of 0 and generally accelerate for the first 50 meters and then start to slowly decelerate during the last 30-40 meters.

A more accurate way to estimate Bolt's 40 yard dash time would be to use the 60 meter dash world record as a bench mark. The 60m WR is 6.39 seconds by Maurice Green. Bolt really started pulling away from the field around the 40-50 meter mark, so I would guess Bolt's 60m split would be about 6.35 seconds.

This means that Bolt ran the last 40 meters in 3.34 seconds or 0.0835 seconds per meter. If we assume his speed over the last 40 meters was the same as his speed between 40 yards (36.576m) and 60 meters, than his 40 yard dash time would be......drumroll please.....4.394 seconds.

Surprised?

You really shouldn't be if you know anything about track and field. There is a 0.1 or 0.2 second reaction time between the sound of the gun and when the sprinters start running.

This same reaction time works the opposite way for 40 yard dash times because coaches start the stop watch on the movement of the runners. Therefore the stopwatch starts 0.1 - 0.2 seconds after the runner goes.

So this means that when you hear a player at the NFL combine ran the 40 yard dash in 4.30 seconds, if he were running on a track with a starting gun, he would really have run between 4.50 and 4.70.

Therefore if you account for the reaction times, if Usain Bolt were to run the same 4.394 second 40 yard dash at the NFL combine, they would likely clock him at somewhere between 4.00 and 4.20 seconds.

Seriously??? There's not enough going on in Phins world that you start this thread??? :m359:

Oh yes! I could always post another speculative thread about Wake, or whether Hartline is the next coming of Jerry Rice, or Vontae's comeback, swine flu, or Henne being the next coming of Dan Marino.

Or I could just do like you and post comments r/e the Jimmy Buffet fight song. That is REALLY important huh? You make me laugh

Just a light post so....

Lighten up Francis

Actually most runners hit top speed around the 30 meter mark, and maintain for another 30 meters then slowly try to decelerate as little as possible for the rest of the race.

Also the above article is outdated, it has the old world record, Bolt just shaved .11 off that time.

All things being relative, Bolt would have the fastest 40 yard time in the NFL regardless of track shoes or not.

One thing to note is that Combine timing is doen electronically as soon as the player moves off his stance. I would venture a guess that Usain Bolt would run between a 4.20 and 4.24 at the Combine...which is slightly faster than Chris Johnson.

I would never play football if I were him. There is much more money to be made sprinting, plus you don't have the risk of injuries like you do with football.

I'm just waiting for someone to bring up how we couldn't utilize his speed anyway until we have big-armed Chad Henne at the helm.

Back
Top Bottom