UVA's Offense Under Lazor (Video) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UVA's Offense Under Lazor (Video)

J. David Wannyheimer

Writing in pencil on laminated cards since 2011
Club Member
Reaction score
I was looking up youtube videos of Morgan Moses (after seeing a few people suggest that Miami draft him) and stumbled across two videos showing every UVa offensive snap from a couple of games in 2011-2012, when Bill Lazor was the Cavaliers' offensive coordinator.

Without further adieu:

[video=youtube;HwiAK3KSVhk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwiAK3KSVhk[/video]

[video=youtube;LEN7l5pBA3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEN7l5pBA3Y[/video]

If anyone can find any more of these, please post 'em. And anyone who follows UVa football closely, I'd also love to hear your opinion on the way he ran the offense.

My quick takeaways as someone who watched Mike Sherman run the Dolphins offense for the last couple of years are:

- Bill Lazor likes to run the football.
- Bill Lazor likes to line up under center more often than not.
- Bill Lazor likes play action passes.
- Bill Lazor likes to put his receivers in motion and line them up in bunch formations.

These are all things that I think Mike Sherman needed to do more often, so I am encouraged by watching these clips.

i would caution anyone who watches that and comes across as it being ultra conservative etc to understand that the qb position at uva was not very good in fact it was pretty bad and so he may have had no choice but to play it so close to the vest...

also tempo etc may have been effected by this as well...will be an interesting watch when i get home though...to refresh my memory of our old o at uva

I'm curious to see if he picked up any of the quick tempo thing from Chip Kelley's offense last year. I did notice a few unbalanced lines, and also noticed he likes his Wr's to block.

PS - If you play both videos simultaneously, with a slight delay on the second one, its like watching a Joe Philbin practice.

Lazor absolutely got the most out of a crew with sparse talent. Throwing to backs to get them in space, creating a great situation for a pocket passer, generating balance on offense when you don't have the horses. He got the most put of that unit. They improved when he arrived and went back to sucking when he left.

The Head Coach insisted on playing a mobile QB because that guy was a big time recruit from a recruiting pipeline who transferred from Alabama. But in reality, that QB wasn't very good and only served to wreck the momentum the pocket passer had an eventually he (Rocco) left because he was constantly undermined.

But that was on the head coach, not Lazor. Lazor worked wonders with a mediocre pocket passer and poor WR's.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

i would caution anyone who watches that and comes across as it being ultra conservative etc to understand that the qb position at uva was not very good in fact it was pretty bad and so he may have had no choice but to play it so close to the vest...

also tempo etc may have been effected by this as well...will be an interesting watch when i get home though...to refresh my memory of our old o at uva

I understand that the QB situation was not his fault. The alternating QB every series in the 2012 video was not by Lazor's choice.

I'm still not entirely sure what to think of Lazor, but watching these two games makes me feel a bit more optimistic. At no point did I ask myself "what the hell was he thinking?"

I feel like anyone that has a cohesive game plan that is well thought out with our talent in mind is going to be much more successful than Sherm. Sherm looked like he was pulling plays out of a hat

I feel like anyone that has a cohesive game plan that is well thought out with our talent in mind is going to be much more successful than Sherm. Sherm looked like he was pulling plays out of a hat

And literally half of the plays in the hat were "comeback."

I understand that the QB situation was not his fault. The alternating QB every series in the 2012 video was not by Lazor's choice.

I'm still not entirely sure what to think of Lazor, but watching these two games makes me feel a bit more optimistic. At no point did I ask myself "what the hell was he thinking?"

i'm hoping when i watch it i'm not asking that to myself...

One huge thing that stuck out to me in those clips of Lazor's offense... We need a halfback/fullback bad. We will need a ton of blocking with all those runs and Thomas and Miller aren't good at blocking.

The other thing I noticed was Moses is kind of slow.. he's a great run blocker, but I have a hard time believing the finesse pass rushers in the NFL will be stopped by him.

I enjoyed what I saw right there in some of those plays.

Those UVA rosters were so horrible, he did the best he could do..

i dont think i would go along with the roster on o was horrible but the qb position was flat not very good...the alabama kid you havent seen a qb take bad sacks til you seen that kid take em...rocco was the best of an underwhelming group...and the kid before him was flat horrid...verica had a trash arm and trash decision making all over the place

i dont think i would go along with the roster on o was horrible but the qb position was flat not very good..

I think its safe to say the OL was pretty bad, especially in the UNC game - the supplemental blockers were ok though, TE and RB. At least Lazor has experience coaching OL scrubs. He's gonna need it.

Back
Top Bottom