UVA's Offense Under Lazor (Video) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UVA's Offense Under Lazor (Video)

I think its safe to say the OL was pretty bad, especially in the UNC game - the supplemental blockers were ok though, TE and RB. At least Lazor has experience coaching OL scrubs. He's gonna need it.

if it's aboushi and moses at the tackles they are both pros...aboushi drafted in the 5th by the jets and made the 53 last year and moses a pro prospect this year...uvas always been a tight end school and the rbs are usually solid college players...uva turns out tackles also...what they dont turn out is even average college qbs...

What I saw in that video.

1. Lazor pulls everybody on the OL. Not just as a zone run like we had (that never worked) but as power runs.

2. There were a lot of trap blocks in the passing game, which are players pulling like a run play but dropping into pass pro

3. A LOT of disguised plays. A lot of mismatches created through bunch formations

4. Lazor loves that jet screen to the RB.

5. RBs run a lot of wheel routes.

6. Draw plays are set up nicely.

7. Movement from different positions.

8. Tall TEs are used a lot in the slot in the redzone

What does that mean for us?

1.As many probably figured, only Pouncey is probably going to be back. I'd be shocked if we resign Jerry with how much Lazor pulls.

2. Matthews, Gibbons, and Wallace should all thrive.

3.We'll need one of Egnew/Sims to emerge or draft a big TE

4.Marcus Thigpen will probably get more time

5.If Miller or Thomas don't learn to catch/run through contact they're probably screwed.

if it's aboushi and moses at the tackles they are both pros...aboushi drafted in the 5th by the jets and made the 53 last year and moses a pro prospect this year...uvas always been a tight end school and the rbs are usually solid college players...uva turns out tackles also...what they dont turn out is even average college qbs...

Well I think they both sucked at run blocking, I don't watch much college these days so not sure how it equates to the pros, but those guys couldn't move anyone. There were a few short yardage plays that went for losses too.

edit: watching the videos again, looking more like failures in the middle of the line. Yep its the C/G gaps. I hate watching the OL from media box angle.

Mike Wallace getting a free release from a bunch formation or slot has potential to score every time.

I expect Wallace to be used similar to Desean Jackson. Philly puts him in motion a lot to get him in mismatches and take advantage of his speed.

What I saw in that video.

1. Lazor pulls everybody on the OL. Not just as a zone run like we had (that never worked) but as power runs.

2. There were a lot of trap blocks in the passing game, which are players pulling like a run play but dropping into pass pro

3. A LOT of disguised plays. A lot of mismatches created through bunch formations

4. Lazor loves that jet screen to the RB.

5. RBs run a lot of wheel routes.

6. Draw plays are set up nicely.

7. Movement from different positions.

8. Tall TEs are used a lot in the slot in the redzone

What does that mean for us?

1.As many probably figured, only Pouncey is probably going to be back. I'd be shocked if we resign Jerry with how much Lazor pulls.

2. Matthews, Gibbons, and Wallace should all thrive.

3.We'll need one of Egnew/Sims to emerge or draft a big TE

4.Marcus Thigpen will probably get more time

5.If Miller or Thomas don't learn to catch/run through contact they're probably screwed.

Exactly what I noticed. Also interesting how Philadelphia used Foles connecting with Riley Cooper for occasional large chunk yardage. Games where Cooper not got a sniff and then a couple of big plays for touchdowns. (It would not surprise me if we drafted a tall receiver or even picked up Cooper in Free Agency - he likes mismatched tall targets).
Also when Foles was interviewed in Honalulu the other day, he spoke in glowing revered terms of how Lazor prepared him.
Net effect - we have a highly organized Head Coach and now we have a highly organized OC who is extremely hard working.

I think this was posted before, but just in case it wasn't and to save folks from have to search for it here is a Coaches Corner Bill Lazor.

[video=youtube_share;WdqYFXzuaBc]http://youtu.be/WdqYFXzuaBc[/video]

Exactly what I noticed. Also interesting how Philadelphia used Foles connecting with Riley Cooper for occasional large chunk yardage. Games where Cooper not got a sniff and then a couple of big plays for touchdowns. (It would not surprise me if we drafted a tall receiver or even picked up Cooper in Free Agency - he likes mismatched tall targets).
Also when Foles was interviewed in Honalulu the other day, he spoke in glowing revered terms of how Lazor prepared him.
Net effect - we have a highly organized Head Coach and now we have a highly organized OC who is extremely hard working.

Yep and as I've said in the past, not all of our issues were on Sherman, but my big issue was that in a lot of ways his offense was too basic. Not that he needed to go overboard with gadget plays, but there are things even in these UVA videos that had we tried it could of helped out. How many bunch formations did we have? How many disguised plays? How many of our pulling plays actually worked?

If we get an offense similar to the one I saw in those videos with our WRs, I'll be happy. We're missing that big target though, but that's easy to fix. Lazor's offense doesn't look overly complex but it has little wrinkles that sure helped. And trust me that was not a team loaded with talent. There were a couple missed plays from Rocco, but you saw guys open from scheme.

Which really stands out after watching this Dolphins offense every week under Sherman. I think if Lazor can incorporate some of Chip Kelly's ideas, we could finally have a decent offense.

I think if Lazor can incorporate some of Chip Kelly's ideas, we could finally have a decent offense.

Does Kelly's offense require WR's who can block down field? If so, we probably need some help in that area to make it work.

Does Kelly's offense require WR's who can block down field? If so, we probably need some help in that area to make it work.

Specifically I'm hoping he steals Kelly's ideas about tempo and how you can actually run the ball more effectively with a fast tempo rather than a plodding one.

Specifically I'm hoping he steals Kelly's ideas about tempo and how you can actually run the ball more effectively with a fast tempo rather than a plodding one.

It's interesting I don't thing anyone has mentioned this last season. It's likely because our O/L was so bad that it was over looked, But our starting W/R can't block for nothing. Especially Wallace who is the definition of a "Finess" player!

Hartline tries to some degree! But, I think without question Matthews is our most "Physical" W/R and probably brings the most effort and talent to the run game.

If the offense looks like that then they're doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the offense looks like that then they're doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well regardless of what some people here would have you believe, Ryan Tannehill is a lot better than Mike Rocco.

I am an UVA alumni and follow UVA football. Since Matt Schaub a few years ago there hasn't been a quaterback of any quality at UVA. Lazor did wonders with the offense the three years he was there. I think he is a great hire. Great analyses by many of you on his offense.

Back
Top Bottom