Vernon Carey could be a surprise cut in Dolphins camp this year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon Carey could be a surprise cut in Dolphins camp this year

If we cut him or trade him, and have Garner start, I'm ok with it. If it's so we can start Murtha, then I'm debating whether I want to torture myself by watching the games this year...

Are there any available tackles in free agency? Vernom Carey blows, Murtha sucks too. I don't want either of them.

Didn't we already see this song and dance last year? Swapping around players and cutting the higher priced(admittedly more injured) player and throw in an undertalented but cheaper option? Didn't work to well. And yet...here we go again!

I get it. Some coaches focus on a particular unit and keep pilling on the competition. Josh McDaniels brought in 2 new quarterbacks per offseason. Steve Spagnuolo keeps upgrading his defensive line. Bill Belicheat and Rex Ryan have a creepy affection for the cornerback position. The Bills will always take a defensive back in the top 2 rounds.

But Sparano's unhappiness with the offensive line has moved to the point of self-destructiveness. He's doing more harm then good. We have spent more then enough resources at those positions, move on. Pick 5 and ride with them. All the swapping and the training camp battles is just getting in the way of on the field chemistry. It's been 4 years since we started fooling around with it and we are still shaking it up. Unbelievable.

Lydon Murtha can't block wind, when he's in the lineup he is simply over-matched. Bottomline as sad as it sounds Carey at 75% is twice as good as Lydon " Look out, I missed another block" Murtha :-(

Yes. There is no way he could ever beat out Vern

Carey has had most of the money from that ridiculous contract now. Essentially we've paid him 22m for 2 years so 4m for year 3 is comparatively cheap !! Replacing him in free agency is going to be at least as expensive. Surely if they were this concerned about Carey then the Pouncey pick makes even less sense

As for Garner he's even more of a question mark than Carey having had two surgeries and 18 months off since he last played. Anything he does this year is a bonus. Plus nobody really knows if he can play tackle - he would surely be toast against any speed rusher

The fact that Murtha is stil the best they can come up with after 4 years of trying to develop a young tackle reflects badly on this regime

Spesh hit the nail on the head, been there ...done that. If we cut Carey we at least lose the depth he would provide, should Murtha beat him out(????). Ask yourselves this: When was the last time we went through the year with all 5 linemen starting every game? Not recently if ever. Quality depth is almost as important as starters on the OL(see last 2 years). We let 2 starters walk last year and went backwards on that unit, thanks Tony. Garner should be back and Jerry had better step up or he's likely to be the casualty of the Turk.

i dont expect carey to go anywhere this season but I feel this is his last here.

I really wonder how the hell Lydon Murtha is still in the NFL. :lol: The guy was drafted in the SEVENTH ROUND by the Detroit Lions and this guy was able to survive long enough to have 2 year career so far? This guy was a nobody in college, never heard of the guy before, and he somehow is able to steal money and pass as a professional football player. Incredible, got to give this guy his props. :lol:

may the cheaper man win

Yep. These are the choices you have to make when you spend top dollar on a LT. Just 1/5 of your OL unit.

Smart move though. Wouldve been stupid to give slightly more money to the QB position for a good one instead of giving it all to a LT. After all, you have to pay 2 other QBs to ride the bench. You only need 5 starting OL and 3 on the bench.

You can see how backwards it would be to pay top dollar to the QB and average money to several good OL. Im glad we have these guys in charge.

Back
Top Bottom