Vernon Carey Is A Tackle | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon Carey Is A Tackle

Muck - you're assuming that McIntosh would be willing to rework his contract to remain on the team as a back-up. We were not the only team interested in signing him this year and he is very capable of being a starter. I don't think he'll accept a paycut to remain a back-up. He'll end up starting or getting cut for refusing to take a paycut.

He's a young guy that wants to play - not an older veteran type that is looking to stick around with some team.

I like the Carey pick a lot and think he'll be a huge part of our success this year. and, personally I don't care if it is as a tackle or guard. But based on what the coaching staff has been saying, "the best five are gonna play," I don't think any of us are in a position to say who is gonna play where. I get the impression that they will play the best five even if it means guys might be out of position. This could mean McIntosh plays guard or carey plays guard.

The only thing I think is certain is that Wade Smith is the LT and Jeno James is the LG. Seth ro St Clair or Hadnot could be the center. McIntosh, Carey, Pape or St Clair could be the RT. And we have Yates, Jerman and Whitley are all vying for time at RG.

Wasn't Jerman our swing tackle last year? Why is he only being mentioned as a guard this year?

Muck said:
As was mentioned previously, McIntosh really doesn't hurt us at all in regards to the cap. If we cut him tomorrow, we're on the hook for $300K. If we cut him next year, we're on the hook for $250K. THAT'S ALL. :)

IMO, Carey plays RT and stays at RT. He will win the job and start from Week 1. If McIntosh were to somehow make it back this year, he would be the backup tackle at both spots. Next year, we restructure his contract and he remains the an excellent backup at both tackle spots (can't be paying a backup those large base salaries). This is assuming the injury doesn't ruin him.

At RG, I also believe that one of the four or five guys we've got there will be good enough to start at RG, with at least one other providing excellent depth. With that many young, hungry guys getting their first shot at a starting job, I expect an excellent competition.
Muck, do you not think that Pape can ever start for us?And if he can start, don't you think that then Cacrey would move to guard since Pape can't? Or do you actually think that Pape could play guard?Just wondering how you feel about this.

Ozzy rules!!

Guys, it's okay to get excited about a late round pick. But thinking they have a chance to start in the first year (especially when O-linemen benefit the most from experience beyond most other positions) ..is a little too much. I would be happy if Pape makes #53.

phinphanbill said:
...you're assuming that McIntosh would be willing to rework his contract to remain on the team as a back-up. We were not the only team interested in signing him this year and he is very capable of being a starter. I don't think he'll accept a paycut to remain a back-up. He'll end up starting or getting cut for refusing to take a paycut.

If McIntosh does not want to rework his contract, then he would be valuable as a trade for a draft pick. The Raiders were really interested in signing him...accept for the injury. If he completely recovers, he should have some value.

Yet from initial indications...it seemed clear that Big Mac was very happy to be a Dolphin. He has family here and keeping him would be an advantage to us because of his ability to play multiple positions.

phinphanbill said:
Wasn't Jerman our swing tackle last year? Why is he only being mentioned as a guard this year?

When he started in the Redskin game at Right Guard, it was clear that he was MUCH better in the interior of the line. If you re-watch that game, Jerman made some very impressive blocks (at least 4 pancakes) and it seemed to be his more natural position. He doesn't have the size or skill to be a starting tackle. Keeping him on the inside will keep him focused and make him a much better player.

Ok, for the last time, Pape will be a guard. Wanny said it on Wqam. Our right side of the line will be Pape at guard and Carey at Tackle. Sheesh!!

Here is my take on the OL we have....

Smith - will be the LT. If he struggles during the season, he could be replace by McI, if he returns from injury. St. Clair can back up the LT spot until McI returns.

James - will be the LG. He can play RG and actually played well there, but we need his experience at LG with Smith at LT.

McK - will be the center - he played well enough to start last year, but struggled with the OL calls. If he continues to struggle, St. Clair could challenge him. Yates is a viable backup in the C position.

McI - obviously won't start the season out...could return after the PUP (as expected). He will be the swing tackle if he returns this year, unless the line is struggling, then he might be pressed into service. I think they would rather see him as a swing tackle this year and compete for a starting tackle spot next year. If Smith and Carey play well, he could be moved to the RG spot. He could also be trade bait next offseason if Pape, St.Clair, Whitley, etc perform like expected. The best thing for the Fins is that come the time he can return from the PUP, we don't need him.

Carey - he will probably be put in at RT with the job his to lose. That is the position he was drafted for and the position he projects best at. He could be beat out by St. Clair if he struggles and back up the RT spot until next year. As CK said, he needs to start out at tackle, and even if he struggles at first, leave him there to develop.

St. Clair - He will battle with Carey for the RT spot, but if Carey is successful early in camp, then he will be moved to the RG spot. He was originally brought in to be our RG, but then the McI thing happened and he was pencilled in to be the RT. Now we have drafted Carey and they want him to be the guy there. St. Clair can be better than he showed in St. Louis, if he is given a spot and left there. His downfall is his versatility...the Rams used him in all 5 positions. He could be a good backup in the interior of the line for us, allowing us the flexibility to put an experienced OL in any spot on the line in case of injury. I see St. Clair getting the shot at RG and he may just hold onto it, but again, his versatility is a killer for his development.

Whitley - RS wants him to snatch a starting spot real bad....He may need another year before he breaks out, but he is a very agile guard and has improved his upper body strength. He looks to be a b/u guard this year, but they like his ability to play left or right side and feel comfortable with him should he be pressed into service.

Yates - Will be our backup center unless Pape or one of the other rookies progress faster than expected.

Jerman - penciled in as the RG at this point. He has good mobility, but his strength is run blocking. He will face tough competition from Whitley for the RG spot. He could also face competition from Pape as well.

Pape - most say he could be something special, but will need time to develop. We have that time now with the people we have in camp. He could be on the practice squad this year and really challenge next year.

Hadnot - Good reviews on him as well, but I see him on the practice squad this year. He may get a chance to challenge Yates as b/u center.

There are several other candidates on the roster. Goodspeed and Bolling are the best of that lot, but may not get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom