Vernon Carey Is A Tackle | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon Carey Is A Tackle

If Carey does not start at RT, he will be the backup RT. In fact, with at least 3 guys competing @ RG where will Carey get the reps necessary to develop a chemistry with the line. We WILL find a starter amongst Jerman, Whitley, Pape, and if need be Yates or Hadnot. Carey is our future @ RT and will practice there until he's the bonafide starter.

So what you are suggesting is that our first round pick could end up sitting behind McIntosh while our sixth or seventh round picks could end up starting just because we need Carey to remain a backup at RT?

Listen to what the coach and the GM are saying - the best five are gonna play. None of the linemen will be bound to a position and not given the opportunity to play.

C.K., On the radio this morning Joe Rose was interviewing Carey and the bottom line regarding where he plays had in the past always had a direct tie in with his playing weight. When he got really heavy, like 350+, he was moved inside, when the weight was under control he went out to tackle. He now has a nutritionist that prepares every meal for him and the weight thing WILL be controlled and he felt that he would be playing Right Tackle for the Dolphins. I think he will be the starting RT this year on opening day and hopefully for many quality years to come. Secondly, I've seen alot of stuff regarding St. Clair and it seems as though Center might be his best position. Do you see any way St. Clair ends up at Center and Seth moving out to Guard? Is St. Clair the best Center on our team?

Sorry, I just saw your answer to the St. Clair question. Are you going out to practice this week or do you live too far away. I'll be there for sure.

One thing for sure, if we get Ogun signed then Carey will get a real good test right out of the chute going against Ogun in practice every day. If he can handle him he will definitely be the starter.

Wanny said on WQAM this early evening that Carey will battle it out with St. Clair at RT. He also said St. Clair can play inside and that Hadnot will start out behind McKinney at Center. Wanny was also praising the work Minnis has done so far and thinks he has a shot at the slot if he continues to shine. Wanny seemed very happy with all the new guys and is very excited to start practice on Friday, which is open to the public, by the way.

Steve

I think Tony Pape is gonna surprise everyone in camp. I think he gives whitley and jerman a run for there money at right guard.

Im in the agreement that if mcintosh does come back from the injury and performs as he did before it they would move carey to guard and have the lineup of w. smith, j. james, s. mckinney, v. carey, d. mcintosh... that is why the carey pick was good for us. it gives us the versatility to use him as a guard or tackle whatever the more need position is for. until mcintosh comes back or is healthy enough to play well i see carey playing tackle however long it takes.. also i havent heard much of j. nails i think we should atleast consider him at the guard position in the meantime for cheap to see what he has left

Here's a scenario...what if Carey plays great at RT, when McIntosh is healthy and ready to go what do we do with him? I wouldn't move Carey to guard if he's playing well. Can McIntosh play guard?

yes , ck stated earlier that this could be a good possibility, btw how many o-line players we keep on the roster ?

I didn't read every post on this thread cos is late but I'll say this. Yes, Carey's a better RT than he is a RG but he could end up playing RG forus for a long time and here's why. I think Tony Pape can be our starter at RT and if that's the case we'd have to play Carey at RG.They're both better playing T than guard but if we're gonna start both then one has to play guard and Carey'd be better at guard than Pape as we don't want a 6'7 guard blocking the trowing lanes. Again, I know some people will say that I'm getting ahead of myself with Pape but if he's as good as I think, then Carey might have to move for the team to be better.

Ozzy rules!!

You guys are killin me. Carey will never practice at guard. He will NOT be behind McIntosh, because by every account, McIntosh will not even be available to play until week 7 after he comes off the PUP.

McIntosh has a $300000 signing bonus and a SPLIT contract meaning he's making less then the NFL minimum in base salary. This guy will never see the field this season.

As was mentioned previously, McIntosh really doesn't hurt us at all in regards to the cap. If we cut him tomorrow, we're on the hook for $300K. If we cut him next year, we're on the hook for $250K. THAT'S ALL. :)

IMO, Carey plays RT and stays at RT. He will win the job and start from Week 1. If McIntosh were to somehow make it back this year, he would be the backup tackle at both spots. Next year, we restructure his contract and he remains the an excellent backup at both tackle spots (can't be paying a backup those large base salaries). This is assuming the injury doesn't ruin him.

At RG, I also believe that one of the four or five guys we've got there will be good enough to start at RG, with at least one other providing excellent depth. With that many young, hungry guys getting their first shot at a starting job, I expect an excellent competition.

Back
Top Bottom