Vernon Gholston | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon Gholston

*Demi*God*

Active Roster
Reaction score
If he is cut by the Jets, would anyone want to see him come down here and play a back up role? Now I dont think he is an every down LB, but with his speed he could give some more pass rush on the outside with Wake...Not saying personally Id want him, just wanted to see peoples thoughts...Might be cheap, give us depth and more help with a pass rush...

He's worthless in a 3-4. He couldn't even break into a pass-rushing role with the Jest and it's not like they're full of them (Jason Taylor, Shaun Ellis...maybe Calvin Pace). If Gholston can't succeed under one of the best 3-4 defensive coaches ever (Rex Ryan), then he will not succeed here.

Put him in a 4-3 and see how he does as an outside backer.

If he is cut by the Jets, would anyone want to see him come down here and play a back up role? Now I dont think he is an every down LB, but with his speed he could give some more pass rush on the outside with Wake...Not saying personally Id want him, just wanted to see peoples thoughts...Might be cheap, give us depth and more help with a pass rush...

If he's quality depth, he wouldn't be cut. He's been pedestrian at best in his play. Mediocre need not apply.

Are you ****ing serious?!?!?! If I was a jets fan reading this thread I would be laughing my *** off..a defensive end who hasnt had a sack in his first three years in the league and you want him to give us additional pass rush? You dont even watch any games, do you?

I suggested this last year and got blasted. If he gets cut I think it would be smart to give him a look. That type of physical ability is rare. Maybe a change of scenerywill help. And if you cut him no harm no foul.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Are you ****ing serious?!?!?! If I was a jets fan reading this thread I would be laughing my *** off..a defensive end who hasnt had a sack in his first three years in the league and you want him to give us additional pass rush? You dont even watch any games, do you?

Jets games no, I dont...not at all in fact only 2 jets games i watch is the 2 they play against Miami...Other then that I dont spend my time watching other teams games...Look what Mike Nolan has done with some players in his system...Example Elvis Dumervil....Undersized DE converted to pass rush OLB because of his speed and look at the numbers he put up under Nolan...

I suggested this last year and got blasted. If he gets cut I think it would be smart to give him a look. That type of physical ability is rare. Maybe a change of scenerywill help. And if you cut him no harm no foul.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Thats what I was thinking as well..Again, Nolan uses players skill sets to their advantage....He has speed, on passing downs line him up opposite of Wake and send both and have a race to see who could get to the QB first...

Now you are comparing a player who has put up over 20 sacks without the help of nolan to a player who has one of the best defensive coaches helping him and has 0 sacks despite them doing literally everything to get him to produce.

As a person I dont have anything against him, big kudos to a guy taking a paycut when he's not performing but that comparison is just so bad..Did Gholston put up 12,5 sacks in 2007 like Dumervil?

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Thats what I was thinking as well..Again, Nolan uses players skill sets to their advantage....He has speed, on passing downs line him up opposite of Wake and send both and have a race to see who could get to the QB first...

It sure as hell won't be Vernon Gholston.

edit: And btw Gholston is nowhere near the same player as Dumervil..Dumervil is undersized but Gholston weighed in at the combine 4-5 inches taller than Elvis and at 266 pounds..more than plenty for a 3-4 outside backer..not only that but he has put on weight to play 3-4 end

Now you are comparing a player who has put up over 20 sacks without the help of nolan to a player who has one of the best defensive coaches helping him and has 0 sacks despite them doing literally everything to get him to produce.

As a person I dont have anything against him, big kudos to a guy taking a paycut when he's not performing but that comparison is just so bad..Did Gholston put up 12,5 sacks in 2007 like Dumervil?

You are giving Rex too much credit as a defensive coach...remember who was the Ravens DC when they won the super bowl and who Rex replaced when that same coach went on to coach the 49ers...Rex has always been blessed with decent talent to work with...But remember Gholston didnt play LB in college he played a 4-3 DE....not a 3-4 end OR a 3-4 LB

You are giving Rex too much credit as a defensive coach...remember who was the Ravens DC when they won the super bowl and who Rex replaced when that same coach went on to coach the 49ers...Rex has always been blessed with decent talent to work with...But remember Gholston didnt play LB in college he played a 4-3 DE....not a 3-4 end OR a 3-4 LB

And he's been playing DE all year. Even the most hardcore 3-4 teams spend loads of time in a 4-dline setup and he was the DE in those not their basic 3-4 package. He was crap, remember? :)

But, I see..so you giving Nolan credit for dumervil makes sense(even though he put up 12,5 sacks in 2007) but looking at the lack of production from Gholston despite a great coaching staff is what, irrelevant? hmmmm

And Dumervil played 4-3 end(just like gholston) in passing situations in 2009. I mean the comparison alone is actually ridicilous..Elvis is a proven performer, Gholston has done nothing but disappoint at every phase of the game(he was decent on ST so lets a jason allen for the front seven?)

And he's been playing DE all year. Even the most hardcore 3-4 teams spend loads of time in a 4-dline setup and he was the DE in those not their basic 3-4 package. He was crap, remember? :)

But, I see..so you giving Nolan credit for dumervil makes sense(even though he put up 12,5 sacks in 2007) but looking at the lack of production from Gholston despite a great coaching staff is what, irrelevant? hmmmm

And Dumervil played 4-3 end(just like gholston) in passing situations in 2009. I mean the comparison alone is actually ridicilous..Elvis is a proven performer, Gholston has done nothing but disappoint at every phase of the game(he was decent on ST so lets a jason allen for the front seven?)

And you clearly forget 07 with Dumervil right? 5 sacks? And other than Wake what speed do we have at LB? People spent a lot of the year bitching and moaning about the lack of pass rush OUTSIDE of Wake...Again, sign him cheap, see what he can do, if nothing cut him free...whats the problem with that? There is none...If he shows he can thrive in Nolans system keep him, and it might keep Wake from getting double, and triple teamed during games...

He had 5 sacks in 08, and that was 5 more than Gholston. I don't see the urge, need or reason to get him at all. At best he is camp fodder at worst he is a complete waste of money and a stupid personnel move. In my opinion we already have our partner to Wake in Koa Misi..he produced well as a rookie and will be better..tons better than Gholston will ever be..hell Teflon Don is much better. This year has one of the best DE classes ever..we should be able to find pass rush through the draft..something that Gholston will NOT bring to the table.

Back
Top Bottom