Veteran FA QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Veteran FA QB's

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I came up with a few names and I'm sure this list is nowhere near exhaustive but here are a couple of guys who could come in to Miami, take over capably if Jay goes down, and who could possibly push for the starting job. We all know Wanny's terrified of a QB controversy so I don't see Jay losing the battle but if Jay falters there'll be no avoiding it next year, Wanny will have to pull him in favor of someone else. The question is who will that be?

Since Lucas has already proven he can't even play up to the level of Fiedler, and if he returns there will likely be a full blown 'Fin-fan mutiny, here are some of the names that might be worth a shot:

Shaun King: He's efficient and is mobile, but can occasionally throw the errant pass. Sounds a lot like the guy we have under center right now.

Rob Johnson: I believe he only signed a one year contract and he fell out of favor with Grueden this past year. He's had his shots and hasn't produced but maybe he could do better under Norv's system. At any rate, he's probably better than Lucas.

Charlie Batch: He was decent in Detroit but he couldn't quite get the job done, but then again, who could with that pile of crap team. He may be worth a long look.

Kordell Stewart: He'll probably go somewhere to start and would likely be very unhappy as a backup anyway but he'd certainly be an upgrade over Lucas, and maybe he can get some of that magic from last season back.

Other than these few that I've mentioned I can't think of anyone who will A) be available, or B) who would be much of an upgrade. What are all of your thoughts on the above mentioned names, and are there any other affordable, BACKUP QB's (in other words: Griese, Plummer, etc. don't count here) who would be able to go into Miami and make an impact off the bench?

Thoughts????

You could consider all those guys except Rob "Oh **** it's the cops" Johnson(thats how he looks to me) I could live with Kordell or Batch coming in and Coach declaring that the starting job is open. I like Jay Fiedler just fine, but there is nothing wrong with open competition.

RODNEY PEETE

He fared pretty well on a poor Carolina team, and he would know his place on the team. He would be the perfect backup QB IMO. I would love to have him much more than Rob "Sack Me" Johnson and Shaun King.

Rob Johnson is one player I would never want to see in a Fins uniform... the guy can't make a decision... The qb clock in his head needs it's battery replaced cause it just aint tickin..

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please...........................................................sign Rob Johnson!

Originally posted by BillscrushFins
23-10...............................38-21 Do those #'s remind you of anything!
Ray Lucas :rolleyes:

:topic: -> me

Originally posted by davster82
Rob "Oh **** it's the cops" Johnson(thats how he looks to me)

:lol: That's hillarious because that's exactly how the guy looks back there. He completely baffles me because he should be an excellent QB who goes to the Pro Bowl every year but he continues to flop for some reason. Maybe Norv, the QB guru, could do something with him...probably not, but who knows.

Rob Johnson is like Damon Huard w/talent :evil:

How come Miami doesn't look at the arena league for a QB like some of the other teams in the league has done, There's got to be somebody in that league worthy of a backup spot in Miami

You don't hand the #2 spot to an arena leaguer unless he shows ya something very good in training camp like Warner did.

I don't think it is definite that Jake the Snake is handed a starting job. Don't forget the Warner/Bulger sweepstakes that will probably happen this offseason, in terms of availability of QBs. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if either Matt Hasselback or Trent Dilfer gets jarred loose again, nor would I be surprised if Kelly Holcombe has successfully created a hot steamy QB controversy in Cleveland...freeing up either Couch or Holcombe. And don't forget a looming Vinny Testeverde to Dallas w/ Parcells rumor.

The way the market is shaping, few will be looking for a starter from outside, and those that are may be able to fill these with other guys. Don't take it for granted that Jake the Snake is the top of the talent pool in free agent quarterbacks, many still hold with Charlie Batch...and many remember Kordell Stewart's near-MVP performance in 2001.

Jake Plummer and Marc Bulger are FA's.... (Bulger might be Restricted though)

Bulger is restricted and may be tagged...not to mention the Rams will likely match anyone's offer...depending on what they decide about Kurt Warner's future with the team.

Back
Top Bottom