Vince Wilfork thinks franchise tag is "a slap in the face" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Wilfork thinks franchise tag is "a slap in the face"

fiftyofhaze

the entire organization
Reaction score
As a player with six years of NFL experience and a contract that expired at the end of the season, New England Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork is about to become an unrestricted free agent.

And Wilfork says that if the Patriots restrict his movement by slapping him with the franchise tag, they might as well slap him in the face.

"I did honor my six-year deal. Now, that six-year deal is up. It's time for me to move forward, with the Patriots or not with the Patriots," Wilfork said today on WEEI. "[A franchise tag] is decent money for most people out there. What I do, it's okay.

"But I don't look at myself as an okay player," Wilfork continued. "Like I said, it's just basically a slap in my face and it's insulting to me to tell me I'm an okay player."

The 28-year-old Wilfork says he plans to sign a multi-year contract with whatever team makes him the best offer, and he doesn't sound keen on the idea of providing the Patriots with a deal at a discount price.

"I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank. That's how I'm looking at it, that's how my family is looking at it," Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and to be part of a great organization."

One of the reasons the Patriots have become a great organization is that they haven't overpaid to keep veteran players around past their primes. Which means the Patriots' needs and Wilfork's desires may not align this off-season.

I wouldn't be mad to have him on our side.

ugh the franchise tag although an annoyance to most players, is hardly a small amount of up front money to a player. sounds to me like he wants to get his paycheck for as much as possible and then he will have no incentive to live up to his next contract.

Interesting post. I would like to see what happens to him. He is starting to get passed his prime...

imo, he's the best option for the Dolphins. pay him what he's worth

Interesting post. I would like to see what happens to him. He is starting to get passed his prime...

I can't believe you are serious
starting to pass his prime:facepalm:

You might want to tell Wilfork yourself:ponder:

Did you see his last game with 13 tackles
13 tackles for a nose tackle in one game is nothing
short of incredible...you might want to ask yourself
who was the last Dolphin player with 13 tackles in a game.

If you ask the question who was the last Miami nose tackle to get 13 tackles in a game the answer is NO ONE/NEVER

He just turned 28 in November
He is in the prime of his football career
If he's starting to get pass his prime at 28 years old what is
Jason Ferguson at 35 years old:oops:

As much as I love Wilfork and he would help Us
in an amazing way he is going to want his
"PAYCHECK"He will want to be paid as one of the top defensive players in the NFL...and I doubt that
Parcells and company will break the bank for Wilfork or
any player.

Well ****in said. Reminds me of the scene from old school when will ferell is debating vs the ragin Cajun.

Ummmm we have no rebutal. That was perfect hahhaha

ugh the franchise tag although an annoyance to most players, is hardly a small amount of up front money to a player. sounds to me like he wants to get his paycheck for as much as possible and then he will have no incentive to live up to his next contract.

It's a big deal to players because they get $10 million guaranteed rather than a big contract with $50 million or more guaranteed, That is likely what Vince will command. The NFL is such a tough sport and Vince could get tagged and suffered a season ending injury next year. After returning from an injury he will likely see a huge decline in pay. It is a big deal and it's these owners making a ton of money not wanting to dish any out for big contracts.

"I want a long-term deal or I want to be free. Point blank. That's how I'm looking at it, that's how my family is looking at it," Wilfork said. "I'm not selling my family short and I'm definitely not selling myself short just to stay back and to win and to be part of a great organization."

This tells you everything you need to know about if BP will want this guy. Does he play because he loves the game or does he play for the money. When he gets the money will he be even more hungry? This comment says he is going with the highest bidder whether it's a great organization or not. That is the kind of comment someone I wouldn't want on my TEAM to make. He is entitled to make his money and good luck playing in Oakland or Washington or the teams that tend to overpay for guys but will never be really good.

Which means there is no way in hell we sign him. He wants the money and we won't be giving that kind of money up for him. My guess is he'll be in OAK.

This tells you everything you need to know about if BP will want this guy. Does he play because he loves the game or does he play for the money. When he gets the money will he be even more hungry? This comment says he is going with the highest bidder whether it's a great organization or not. That is the kind of comment someone I wouldn't want on my TEAM to make. He is entitled to make his money and good luck playing in Oakland or Washington or the teams that tend to overpay for guys but will never be really good.

yeah that scares me to

if he gets paid will he work for the paycheck that already his

even though I am more than positive we will get 2 great games out if him a year if we did get him

i would love to have him, and then sign ferggie for 1 more year as rotational player, and then cut or trade soili(sp), draft one in round 4or5 ...just my 2 cents

Maybe the Patriots will give him a Transition tag. That would be a compromise which invites long term contract offers for Wilfork but gives the Patriots the option to match so that they could see what his market value is and, in theory, have a say in where he goes

Personally I'll be surprised if they let him walk - especially if it's to us

It's a big deal to players because they get $10 million guaranteed rather than a big contract with $50 million or more guaranteed, That is likely what Vince will command. The NFL is such a tough sport and Vince could get tagged and suffered a season ending injury next year. After returning from an injury he will likely see a huge decline in pay. It is a big deal and it's these owners making a ton of money not wanting to dish any out for big contracts.

It's not a big deal cause in essense, you are defending a guy who will get 10 million "guaranteed" to play a sport.

I have absolutely no sympathy for people and players who think like him.

Take Bell for instance. He said he had to prove and earn a big payday during negotiations last year.

This makes me hope they do franchise him. People like him deserve to be slapped in the face.

Back
Top Bottom