Vince Young is Not Ready | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Young is Not Ready

Frank B

Starter
Reaction score
I'm watching the Texas vs Ohio St. game right now and what I see is an amazing athlete behind center. In this college offense, Vince Young is perfect because he is just physcially dominant. I don't necessarily think that Young will leave school early and come out after this year, but no matter what he does, he's going to have a lot of things to work on in the offseason.

1. Passing Mechanics - That side arm delivery isn't going to do it on the next level. It would be a different story if he was accurate with that delivery, but he's not. He's due for a major reworking of his throwing motion.

2. Footwork - Almost just as important as the throwing motion. Young has to be more consistent with his footwork. All of the great passers have good footwork to maximize accuracy. Michael Vick is still struggling with inconsistency in his footwork.

3. Reading Coverages - Because Young is a natural athlete, the physical adjustments might be easier for him to incorporate. Reading coverages is the one thing I think will take him a couple of years because Texas has an *** backward offensive system. There really isn't a whole lot of sophistication in their offense. Texas fielded Chris Simms and 3 pro quality receivers, including Roy Williams, but their passing game was always stunted by the coaching staff. It doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to throw deep down the sideline to Roy Williams and hope he beats the double team. Basically, the Texas coaching staff is riding Young's athletic ability, but they're not teaching him a whole lot about playing the QB position.

I will say that Vince Young looks like a more polished passer than I saw last year. If he can continue to make improvements in his game this year and in the offseason, I think he will definitely be a better prospect than Michael Vick or Donovan McNabb.

While I agree on some of the points there, I think Vince Young looks amazing tonight (so far). He's awesome at delivering the playfake, and he's as quick as Mike Vick. Not to mention everytime he's been tackled tonight it's had to take 2 or 3 Buckeyes to bring him down.

Yeah Vince looked great on that INT...sorry he is OVERATED!!! He thinks he is all that.

Roman529 said:
Yeah Vince looked great on that INT...sorry he is OVERATED!!! He thinks he is all that.
Yeah, just as I praise him he makes a stupid mistake. He's only a Sophmore, with experience he will learn to take the sack. He needs to learn when and when not to try and throw the ball away.

Gonk said:
Yeah, just as I praise him he makes a stupid mistake. He's only a Sophmore, with experience he will learn to take the sack. He needs to learn when and when not to try and throw the ball away.

Some guys can't stay in the pocket and then get happy feet and then throw the INT or get hammered and fumble...Michael Vick has this problem...he can kill you with his running ability and speed and has a rocket arm, but then comes all the turnovers. Vince almost fumbled one earlier when an Ohio State player was trying to drag him to the ground. You can't try and do too much....sometimes you have to eat it.

actually he's a junior and this is his 3rd year starting. he has no excuse for that horrible mistake. and he has a great playfake? what are you talking about? he's in a shotgun all day faking an option. that's not something you're going to see in the NFL, EVER. he's in an extremely simple offense, designed for his running abilities. the plays are designed so he has only 2-3 targets on each play, something they do in high school. should i mention the top 10 draft picks he has at RT and LT? he has all day to throw the ball to a defense that has more men in the box to stop the run and to attempt any kind of pressure against those excellent tackles, and he can throw the ball to wide open receivers. yes he's hitting his targets, so what? drew weatherford could hit receivers in those conditions :lol: imagining this guy in a west coast offense is funnnnny

Man I guess this isn't fair but I turned on the game and started watching right before Vince threw that HORRIBLE interception straight into A.J. Hawk's arms.

I think the guy to watch tonight is A.J. Hawk man he's impressive as all heck.

ckparrothead said:
Man I guess this isn't fair but I turned on the game and started watching right before Vince threw that HORRIBLE interception straight into A.J. Hawk's arms.

I think the guy to watch tonight is A.J. Hawk man he's impressive as all heck.

Hawk looks like a great linebacker....reminds me of another linebacker named Chris Speilman who played there and for the Detroit Lions. The brother of you-know-who. :lol:

i personaly think wr billy pittman is a stud of a wr and i like troy smith better than vincent young , or at leas for right now . he can be a lot better given time though.

Roman529 said:
Some guys can't stay in the pocket and then get happy feet and then throw the INT or get hammered and fumble...Michael Vick has this problem...he can kill you with his running ability and speed and has a rocket arm, but then comes all the turnovers. Vince almost fumbled one earlier when an Ohio State player was trying to drag him to the ground. You can't try and do too much....sometimes you have to eat it.

Just watching the way he takes snaps, sets up in the pocket, and moves while scanning the field lead me to believe that he's gonna need a lot of work before running an nfl offense. Of course, Texas is not running anything resembling an NFL offense so it may make his mechanics and such look worse than they actually are. He's being asked to do it all on his talent. He certainly has a gun and is a great athlete.

Roman529 said:
Roman529 you are right on the money again. He is overated. Draft Leinart, the next Elway.

chrome4 said:
Roman529 you are right on the money again. He is overated. Draft Leinart, the next Elway.

Leinart is probably gonna end up good (not #1 pick good IMO, but a solid player), but Elway isnt a guy I'd compare him to. Elway had an absolute howitzer for an arm and could move real well. Leinart's arm is good, not great, and his athleticism isnt terribly good (though his fundamentals and footwork are pretty good). Though I doubt he'll have the same success, as far as NFL comparison I'd have to go with Brady...same mold. The guy I'd like to see us take is Reggie McNeal...I see alot of Culpepper in Reggie, IMO.

I thought the same thing in the first half. Watching the 3rd quarter, I rethough the first half.

He looked shakey under pressure.

Like to run more than he should.

His passing is good but is more of an upside than an NFL'er.

Watching him in the second half though..

His recievers just arn't catching balls that should be caught. The throws have been good, away from the defender, to a spot for the reciever to make the play. Oh well, I'm rooting for oh st. :)

Back
Top Bottom