Vince Young will NOT throw at Combine... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Young will NOT throw at Combine...

FinNasty

"The Sticker Dunk"
Reaction score
I just saw this on PFT... it has a link to the story where it came from... IMO, it is a REALLY smart decision on VY's part...

It now seems that he isnt throwing or running at the combine...

PFT.com said:
VINCE CHOOSES NOT TO THROW?
Less than a month after agent Major Adams said that Texas quarterback Vince Young will throw at the upcoming scouting combine, Adams now says that Young might not throw, after all.​

"We want to make sure it's something we want to do and something that's best for Vincent," said Young's agent, Major Adams.​

Asked why it might not be in Young's best interests to throw at the combine, Adams said, "Unfamiliar surroundings, unfamiliar receivers."​

Adams denies that the decision is linked in any way to Young's poor showing in a college skills competition aired by ESPN the day before the Super Bowl.​

Makes since, he really doesnt have to prove anything. Everyone knows what he can do. This wont hurt his draft position at all

FinNasty said:
I just saw this on PFT... it has a link to the story where it came from... IMO, it is a REALLY smart decision on VY's part...

It now he isnt throwing or running at the combine...

I don't know FinNasty.....

If I'm a team looking at Vince Young and he shy's away from showcasing himself, I begin to think he has confidence issues in a certain aspect of his game or that he's trying to hide something.

Him not throwing at the combine would have a negative effect towards my decision on him. Of course it would'nt be the biggest factor in a teams decision to draft him and it may not make a difference at all but it sure would make me think twice before pulling the trigger if I was a GM.

If you want to go as high as possible I'd think it would be in your best interest to show your talent in another light.

Trekbiz said:
If I'm a team looking at Vince Young and he shy's away from showcasing himself, I begin to think he has confidence issues in a certain aspect of his game or that he's trying to hide something.
nah, every top QB usually does neither.

Juan Cribbs said:
nah, every top QB usually does neither.

Come to think of it, you are right.

Amazing though, your about to invest tens of millions on a prospect and they don't think they have anything to prove to you.....

System is backwards!

Trekbiz said:

Him not throwing at the combine would have a negative effect towards my decision on him. Of course it would'nt be the biggest factor in a teams decision to draft him and it may not make a difference at all but it sure would make me think twice before pulling the trigger if I was a GM.

If you want to go as high as possible I'd think it would be in your best interest to show your talent in another light.

Most top rated QBs dont throw at the combine... for the that exact reason... the combine allows scouts to make the QB throw what they want... not what the QB wants. That really exposes some weaknesses... and no top prospect wants to be exposed before the draft...

He will throw in his private workout... but it will all be choreographed and designed not to expose him... since he will have control of what throws he makes...

FinNasty said:
Most top rated QBs dont throw at the combine... for the that exact reason... the combine allows scouts to make the QB throw what they want... not what the QB wants. That really exposes some weaknesses... and no top prospect wants to be exposed before the draft...

He will throw in his private workout... but it will all be choreographed and designed not to expose him... since he will have control of what throws he makes...

Yeah, someone also pointed that out.

Crazy though.
If I'm investing so much in these top guys that have not proven anything on an NFL level I want to see them make any throw I tell them to, when I want them to and in any condition I want it in!

Backwards system, but that's for another thread discussion.

Oh well....I think you should go by what they do on the games and not so much what they do at the combine...Young can make plays and I'm starting to think that he will be the best QB out of this class.

Ozzy rules!!

playmaker1 said:
Makes since, he really doesnt have to prove anything. Everyone knows what he can do. This wont hurt his draft position at all

It could hurt him since the draft gurus keep hinting at his throwing motion. All the more better for us i believe. I say let it happen.

Trekbiz said:

Confidence issues? hmmmmm. Thats an interesting one. Is Leinert going to the combine? Why no stink on him if he doesnt? Very interesting.

finfan54 said:
Confidence issues? hmmmmm. Thats an interesting one. Is Leinert going to the combine? Why no stink on him if he doesnt? Very interesting.

i think theres only some stink about it because just a couple weeks ago vince himself said he was going to throw at the combine, so now to turn around and say hes not makes it seem a little fishy...

Yep

Trekbiz said:

Absolutely,
Hes presently ranked to go top 5. He can only hurt himself and he knows it.
Coaches are probably thinking, this guy doesnt want to compete at the combine, which is what the combine is all about.
Im not sayng the guy isnt a competitor, but he is doing this out of fear of falling in the draft and in the end losing money. Look at the difference in signing bonus from going 2nd or 3rd to lets say 16th.:lol:
His rep for not having the arm or as Blaylock said on Total Access is that he has not proved to be able to survive in a sophisticated system QB.
No way he falls to 16, but if he did, its worth the try.

Self Defeating stupidity.

All of the tops teams will bring in VY for private workouts prior to the draft. At those workouts VY will be asked to make the throws that he should have made at the combine.

Either way, any team that is considering drafting VY is going to make him throw NFL throws before drafting him.

Blaming it on "unfamiliar receivers?", thats a crock of crap.

Back
Top Bottom