Voice of the Fan: Calculating a position for the Dolphins first-round pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Voice of the Fan: Calculating a position for the Dolphins first-round pick

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://www.phinmaniacs.com/news/voi...-a-position-for-the-dolphins-first-round-pick

Interesting Article about the value of draft picks and free agency from a mathematical value perspective and which positions have the greatest replacement cost/value.

Was wondering why so many draftniks have the Dolphins picking a DT in this year's draft and why the Dolphins would even consider this after releasing Suh. Here' why.

Your thoughts?

there is no way i take a DT at 11. we proved last year you can find one later. you have to take an impact position first. DT's dont control games. we saw that with suh/ Vea is good without a doubt, and is a monster but not at 11 when you have an opportunity to get a very good LB, or DB. I think 11 is too high for him. we have bigger needs. if we do take him i will be happy knowing we got a very good player, but james, jones, ward, edmunds better be gone

Last edited:
The last month or so I've been reading how DT isn't that important of a position ... or how it isn't a critical need. First time for everything, I guess.

Depending on how it falls, I'd nab Bryan at 11 in a heartbeat. Trade back to like 20 and get him ... even better.

If more folks understood this less would say we must draft Nelson. I could handle Edmunds because of special physical attributes and young age. In another post I said better value was CB and DT.

Positions you draft in Round 1 in order:
1. QB
2. Pass rusher
3. Luke Kuechly type MLB/3 down LB
4. Shut down DB/Ball hawking FS
5. LT or DT
6. CENTER

YOU DO NOT draft a RB, WR, OG, SS, or 4-3 OLB in round 1.

1) Saquon Barkley

2) Bradley Chubb

3) Minkah Fitzpatrick

4) Roquan Smith

5) Tremaine Edmunds

6) Derwin James

My top six. For us. In order.
I would be really happy if we could land any one of those potential studs. If 4 QBS go top 10 one may drop although I don't think more than 2/3 will.

Don’t be surprised if we trade down if the top 2 LBs are gone by 11.

Add additional picks and grab VV if that is the direction your taking.

Positions you draft in Round 1 in order:
1. QB
2. Pass rusher
3. Luke Kuechly type MLB/3 down LB
4. Shut down DB/Ball hawking FS
5. LT or DT
6. CENTER

YOU DO NOT draft a RB, WR, OG, SS, or 4-3 OLB in round 1.
I understand your logic in all but Center and DT. I thought Suh was the outlier in highly paid DTs. And I feel like I never see Centers drafted in the first. Are they unexpectedly high priced to resign? Or is a good C rare? I’m just wondering about those two.

So if we spend our 1st rounder on a QB does that mean we are giving up on Tannehill? Due to the fact that first round picks can be rather costly. I don't know if qb controversies are always good.

I understand your logic in all but Center and DT. I thought Suh was the outlier in highly paid DTs. And I feel like I never see Centers drafted in the first. Are they unexpectedly high priced to resign? Or is a good C rare? I’m just wondering about those two.

Look no further than Mike Pouncey who was a center drafted in Round 1.

Center is generally the leader of the Oline (or should be). They make all the calls and get the protection setup. They also work very closely with QBs and that dynamic is a big one. A great center can make a world of diffrence for a O Line. Again, I am not saying its the most important position to take, but an Elite center would be worth a first round pick, if the other positions I listed are not available.

I would basically make my draft board for round 1 based on that positional ranking I have.
\

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind taking a O or D lineman in the first round.

This is one of the better primers that I've seen.

Some positions are cheaper than others... and the salary cap exists.

Ignore this at your peril.

Look no further than Mike Pouncey who was a center drafted in Round 1.

Center is generally the leader of the Oline (or should be). They make all the calls and get the protection setup. They also work very closely with QBs and that dynamic is a big one. A great center can make a world of diffrence for a O Line. Again, I am not saying its the most important position to take, but an Elite center would be worth a first round pick, if the other positions I listed are not available.

I would basically make my draft board for round 1 based on that positional ranking I have.
\

I always hated the Mike Pouncey draft pick, incidentally. Still think it was a bad pick.

Back
Top Bottom