Wade Smith....bulking up | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade Smith....bulking up

jbond

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
Last year's playing weight listed at 296 (miamidolphins.com). Seems as though our boy has gained 20 pounds (hopefully all muscle) and is at about 315 as of now.

Second-year LT Wade Smith has bulked up to about 315 pounds by diligently following a workout regimen. Last season, Smith played very well considering he was a third-round pick, though he was overwhelmed against elite ends. Smith is bright, dedicated and mature. He works relentlessly and doesn't lose confidence in tough times.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2331274

this is good to hear, I though W.Smith looked a bit undersized last year, glad to hear hes bulking up.

I am not sure how much I like this or not. He did look a bit undersized last year, but the times he was beat was by a speed rusher off the corner. I hope he did not lose any quickness. That being said, hopefully he has been working on his footwork and he will be a better LT for it!

I think this is great news. The Left side of the Line will definitley be stonger then last year with a stonger/bigger Smith, a stud at Guard in James and a good center in McKinney.

from the testing they do for foot agility I think the only one that was quicker/more agile on the team last year was McKnight. He has extremely quick feet. He was beat a couple times outright last year but I think that had to do more with timing the snap and also technique (pro's just a bit different then college ball). He was a bit underweight last year and I think the 20lbs will do him good. If it's primarily muscle/strength it should allow him to get a better hold on the RDE coming by/through him.....at least I hope...always gotta think positive, lol :)

What I liked about him, was that even though he did get beat by some of the better ends he faced, his technique got better as the season went on...He does have quick feet, giving him an edge as a LT. The added weight, assuming it is muscle, will serve him well....

I'm just waiting for some moron to come in here and suggest steroids.

20 pounds is excellent news. Sounds to me like he's as motivated as ever and may turn out to be a draft day steal.

Wade Smith is not a problem. I think we have an excellent LT who will only get better with experience. Not only was he undersized and inexperienced last year (that said, he still did a very good outside of the Indy and Tenn game), but we keep forgetting that Wade played beside Jamie Nails, who had a horrible year. We all love Jamie, because of what he did the year before, but in all honesty Nails was horrible last year.

Playing next to Jeno James has got to help Smith as much as anything. Case in point, Todd Wade's best year with us was his first. The main reason was that he played next to Kevin Donnalley who was a huge help and a very gifted lineman. James will help Wade Smith get to the next level. Our left side should be much improved this year. Now, our right side??????

I'm hoping this equates to better upper body strenght, which was the knock on him last year, at the same time, I hope his speed hasn't been affected, but more weight is heavier and does slow one down. I'm sure the trainers as they were helping him build his upper body and strenghten it, were still working his lower body to accommodate his new body. If the kid works hard he can be a good LT. It's his 2nd year and I still expect some problems..this is usually the soph..thing..I hope Wade forgo the jinks because we need him to play almost probowl like..Note "almost people".
He won't be a Pro bowl LT this year..still got some work to do. Regardless of the news he still need a competent replace in case something happens to wade, ie. I would love for him to have competition.

Wade Smith has to seriously improve his pass protection. He got beat bad all day by Freeney.Griese gets blamed for the fumble, but if Smith does his job the QB isn't getting eaten alive. Same thing against Tennesee and several other games.

He has potential but he needs to take it to the next level. Maybe a little more size and one year of experience will help him.

This is good news. I hope Wade kills the oposition this year. Imagine if he makes the pro-bowl.... :cool:

Wade smith main problems last season was that he was being out powered by strong defenders. His technique was there and everything but he was outpowered. I dont know if all that weight gain is fat, muscle or water but it would be good for him to shoot up some steroids this off-season. Don't worry about it guys, players do this to increase muscle weight while its illegal to the law and rules but its safe to say that many players now a days shoot up. Weather it becomes an addiction and the substance is abused greater than its suppose to be used then it is dangerous for the athlete.

I disagree, they test in the NFL all of the time. Plus there are plenty of legal ways to buff up, rather then risking EVERYTHING on steroids.

Back
Top Bottom