Wade Smith....bulking up | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade Smith....bulking up

wade smith bulking up and following a regimine means he is doing what he was told to do. as someone said before, haveing jeno next to him should help immensely. he was beat by speed and a jump that only a probowler knows of. he will be ready. at least he didnt jump offsides. i would also say that our offense will have more potency on 3rd down with Ricky this year IMO with boston on the other side. defenses wont be able to take chances as much.

This is very good news. My only fear is I've heard this about Dolphins players in the past and it seems like many of them lose the weight they had gained in the 100 degree weather during training camp. We shall see.

KBISBACK said:
I think some of you severely overrate upper body strength when it comes to offensive linemen. Offensive linemen don't bench press defensive linemen out of the way. They get lower, and use their hips and legs to explode through the defensive lineman. The key area of strength for an offensive lineman is in his hips and legs. The squat lift and the power clean is much more indicative of functional football strength than the bench press is.

Not so. It's a combination for run blocking, both upper and lower body strength is required. At the line, it's mostly lower body strength. In the 2nd level, it's mostly upper body strength.

In terms of pass protection, it's a different story. Against a bull rusher, lower body strength is most important. Against speed rushers, where Wade Smith suffered, upper body strength is very important. You dont get a chance to set and push against them. You have to redirect them, and "ride" them on the outside of the pocket. It's not a coincidence that Wade Smith had nearly all of his problems against speed rushers.

Back
Top Bottom