Wade Smith comparison... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade Smith comparison...

Disgustipate

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I did some research on Wade Smith for another board, and some rather interesting things became apparent to me, and I figured I should share them and get opinions on them.

Bluntly, I think I found out why our franchise is so excited about Wade Smith. Compared to guys taken before him in the last 3 drafts, he's pretty much blown away all of their first and second seasons.

Wade Smith according to this source was one of the few Offensive Tackles in the last 3 years to not only start all 16 games as a rookie, but start as a rookie LT. And out of all of them, he's outperformed all of them, and been thrown into the fire with little help more then all of them.

Keep in mind when you look through their stats that penalties are just as detrimental to a team as sacks.

****Wade Smith had 12 sacks, 0 penalties in 16 games started at LT****

2003 Draft
Jordon Gross- The Panthers didnt trust him to play Left Tackle. He was a RT in 2002. Played the full 16 games, was penalized 5 times, and gave up 3 sacks. I dont think you can really claim he performed better, seeing as Wade Smith faced some of the premere speed rushers in the league at LT. 8th pick. Currently 1st string RT.

George Foster- Did not start. 20th pick.
Currently 2nd string RT.

Kwame Harris- Started 5 games for the 49ers. Penalized 4 times, gave up 5 sacks. The ESPN depth chart has him at RT, not LT, I dont know what he played, but in any case, he did much worse then Wade Smith. 26th pick. Currently 2nd string RT.

John Stinchcomb- Did not start. 5th pick in 2nd round. Current 2nd string LT.

Wayne Hunter- Did not start. 9th pick, 2nd round. Currently 2nd string LT.

Seth Wand- Started 2 games. 1 penalty, 1 sack. 11th pick in the 2nd round. Currently 2nd string RT.

2002 Draft

Mike Williams- Not starting at LT. Allowed 7 1/2 sacks w/ 2 penalties in 2002, 9 1/2 sacks and 2 penalties in 2003. 4th pick, 1st round. Currently first string RT.

Bryant McKinney- Started 7 games his first year, penalized 6 times, allowed 4.75 sacks. In 2003, was penalized 5 times, allowed 11.0 sacks. 7th pick, 1st round. Currently 1st string LT.

Levi Jones- Started 14 games, penalized 6 times, allowed 8 sacks. Started 16 games in 2003, penalized 7 times, allowed 12 sacks. 10th pick, 1st round. Currently 1st string LT

Marc Colombo- Started 5 games in 2002. Penalized 5 times, allowed 3 sacks. Did not start in 2003. Currently the Bears 2nd string RT. 29th pick, 1st round.

Mike Pearson- Started 11 games in 2002. Penalized 3 times, gave up 6 sacks. Started 16 games in 2003, gave up 6 sacks, penalized 9 times. 8th pick, 2nd round. Currently starting LT.

Langston Walker- Started 2 games in 2002. Penalized 3 times, gave up 1/2 a sack. Started 8 games in 2003, penalized 4 times, gave up 3 1/2 sacks. Currently the teams 2nd string RT.

2001 Draft-(Not looking up what side Tackle they play anymore, so be advised)
Leonard Davis- NA, plays Guard now.

Kenyatta Walker- 16 games as a rookie. 6 penalties, 11 sacks. 2nd year, 13 games started 7 penalties, 7 sacks. Third season, 17 penalties, 4.5 sacks. 14th pick, 1st round. Currently starting RT.

Jeff Backus- Rookie season, 16 games, 9 penalties, 11 1/2 sacks. Second year, 7 penalties, 3 1/2 sacks. Third year, 8 penalties, 3 sacks. 18th pick, 1st round. Currently starting LT.

Maurice Williams- Rookie season, 16 games, 7 penalties, 7 sacks. Second year, 5 games played, 1 penalty, 0 sacks. Third season, 16 games, 8 penalties, 5 1/2 sacks. Currently starting RT.

Matt Light- Rookie 12 games started, 1 penalty, 10 sacks. 2nd season 8 penalties, 11 1/2 sacks. 3rd season, 9 penalties, 3 1/2 sacks. Currently starting LT.

Source- http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/findplayer.asp

Disclaimer- I may have missed an OT or two. Point it out, and I'll look them up and add them. These stats quoted by Stats Inc. may not be completely accurate. However, Stats Inc. is considered very reputable, and is where ESPN gets their stats from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wade Smith gave up 12 sacks on the season, but he had zero penalties called on him. Of those 12 sacks, 6 came in two games. One against Dwight Freeney, and the other against Jevon Kearse.

He's got a lot of room to grow, both physically and as a left tackle. He's gonig to be a good one.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Wade Smith gave up 12 sacks on the season, but he had zero penalties called on him. Of those 12 sacks, 6 came in two games. One against Dwight Freeney, and the other against Jevon Kearse.

And if the guy has any pride whatsoever...he's dying for an opportunity to pay 'em back next year...Kearse at least (in Miami).

Oh damn, I left out Wade Smith's stats? That was pretty bad. Yeah, he had 12 sacks in 16 starts with 0 penalties.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

And if the guy has any pride whatsoever...he's dying for an opportunity to pay 'em back next year...Kearse at least (in Miami).

He absolutely does. He's one of "those guys" that owns up and holds himself accountable. You should have seen him in the locker room after the Indy game. The reporters were just hammering him at his locker (unfair or not). And he sat there at his locker and just took it. He didn't run and hide. He took the blame.

He's got the attitude for improvement.

Originally posted by Muck

He absolutely does. He's one of "those guys" that owns up and holds himself accountable. You should have seen him in the locker room after the Indy game. The reporters were just hammering him at his locker (unfair or not). And he sat there at his locker and just took it. He didn't run and hide. He took the blame.

He's got the attitude for improvement.

Gotta love it! Too bad he couldn't bottle some of that for some of his buddies.

He was really broken up after that Indy game....he felt responsible.....

as for stats........I heard that Richmond Webb would average giving up 5 sacks a year when he was here.....can anybody prove this number? Does anybody know?

Richmond Webb(Pre 1994 stats not availible)

1994- 5 penalty, 6 sacks
1995- 10 penalty, 4 sacks
1996- 8 penalty, 7 1/2 sacks
1997- 11 penalty, 5 1/2 sacks
1998- (9 games)- 3 penalty, 4 3/4 sacks
1999- (14 games)- 4 penalty, 7 3/4 sacks
2000- (14 games)- 9 penalty, 3 1/2 sacks.

While I agree Smith is good, I wouldn't say penalties are as bad as sacks all the time. Typically I'd asume most of the penalties are off-sides, however that loses you the yardage, not the loss of down. But great research, and even if we don't agree on the penalty aspect, your stats still stand true. Great work.

Just in case anyone is wondering, here is the rest of our horrible line:

Todd Wade: 16 Games, 3 penalties (2 false starts, 1 holding), 5.5 sacks allowed
Todd Perry: 15 Games, 4 penalties (1 false start, 2 holding, 1 misc.), 3.5 sacks allowed
Tim Ruddy: 14 games, 4 penalties (4 holding), 3.5 sacks allowed
Jamie Nails: 15 games, 2 penalties (2 holding), 1.5 sacks allowed
Seth McKinney: 16 games (4 starts), 1 penalty, .5 sacks allowed

Back
Top Bottom