Wade Smith starting LT ? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade Smith starting LT ?

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Smith is getting so much praise, you gotta wonder if Dixon will get moved inside.
“There are athletic guys and tough guys and strong guys, but football awareness is what impresses me most. They were running twists and gains and he was handling it like he’d been around here for a couple of years. You don’t coach that stuff. Some guys get it and some guys don’t.â€Â
Tony Wise from http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/newthread.php?s=&action=newthread&forumid=2

The coaching staff might have a difficult decision when Mark Dixon returns from a leg injury in September.

''I'd be so excited,'' coach Dave Wannstedt said. ``That [would] be a great situation to have. Let's see what [Smith] does this week.''
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/6557488.htm

Let's see how he handles himself this week. He'll probably be in for at least 3 quarters.

After this game with the Falcons, do you guys think he will start at LT? Dixon could be in danger of losing the job for good.

Watch Jason Cole's Q and A this week.

I asked this morning the question of "stick with Wade at LT if his game is there".

You think we could put Dixon at Right Guard and move Perry to the bench? Can Dixon be a better tackle than Todd Wade, and would Todd Wade be moved? If Smith emerges as a quality Tackle, then we might just have a decent line folks :)

Dixon is a Pro-Bowl calibur player at his natural position which is NOT Left Tackle... I bet no-one would be happier than Dixon if Smith could start because that would mean as soon as he was healthy he would go back starting at guard.

Maybe. After watching the Jacksonville preseason game very closely in terms of watching Wade Smith vs Hugh Douglas, one of the things I picked up is that we have a definite pass-blocking weakness on the interior of the OL. Dixon is a fantastic pass blocker, which is why he's been moved out to LT. He's also a good run blocker, I mean the guy is a pro bowler.

And to me this means, that if the Phins could get away with playing Wade Smith at LT the way they did against Jacksonville...I mean, if the play-calling and blocking schemes were not really anything special or anything that would hinder our offensive production...then maybe we should sign a veteran backup LT and go ahead move Dixon over. Putting Nails in at RG would cover up some of his pass-blocking gaffes (he's not particularly good at it). I'm starting to think that the best way to lead Ricky to another 1800 yards isn't to keep everything the same...cuz if you do that the rest of the league catches up to you.

But lets say for instance our offensive line consists of Smith-Dixon-McKinney-Nails-Wade. Well, at the very least, that would be DIFFERENT...

Mark Dixon is the best offensive lineman on the team period so he will be in the starting lineup either way but you have to like what you see from Smith.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
But lets say for instance our offensive line consists of Smith-Dixon-McKinney-Nails-Wade.
w/b a great OL as long as Wade Smith can protect Jay's back IMO

:eek:

Is it possible to start Wade Smith at LT, then move Dixon to G before the season, like we've been trying to do? That would be sweet. Then we'd have Perry and McKinney for depth.

I think all this talk is a little premature. It's only been one game. Let's see how he does during the regular season to start raving about this kid. I am definately optimistic, but also realistic.

Its more than just one game, its also training camp history and the game against tampa. Against Tampa sure he didn't face Hugh Douglas but he did hold his own. In training camp JT consistently abuses him but he's done enough in TC to where Dave Wannstedt is thinking of the possibility of Wade Smith being good enough to start by the end of the preseason. In fact, Smith must have done SOMETHING good in training camp because Wannstedt and Wise both said that he didn't do anything in that Jax game that he doesn't do in practice...and he did some pretty good things in that Jax game. He also had a meltdown or two that were covered up for him. But Mark Dixon seems to have one meltdown every game too. Smith didnt look better than Dixon against Jax but he did look good, good enough to where if Dixon moving inside gives us a totally kickazz interior OL, might be worth doing.

I agree. If WS can play well enough to start and move Dixon inside again, then I say do it! Dixon and Nails as our guards would be awesome. Ricky could run all day against most teams.

First, let me say that I love Mark Dixon...the guy's all heart! IMO he's borderline All-Pro at his best. But this ankle injury has really limited his explosion and athleticism. Even when he's back in a couple of weeks he won't be the same player that he was the first few years on this team. With all of that said, if Smith retains the starting LT job, I'm not so sure Dix beats out either of our starting G's for their job. Jaime Nails was our best run blocker by far last year and Perry is solid and never gets any credit. I mean, how many rushing yards did we have last year?!?! Someone must have been doing their job! If Dix comes back and plays the way he did last year---he starts---if the leg slows him down and the kid is able to maintain, then I think that Dixon will be on the bench. If that's the case, then sadly, I think this will be Mark's last year on this team.

Todd Wade Is a beast at the other Tackle Position. I Have been Watching him since last year he is big and strong and can run and pass block. I say move Him to LT move Smith to RT and Dixon and Nails as our gaurds. And for all you Nay sayers Give Ruddy his Do he is an excellent Center He is a major reason for rickys last years performance. Mcciney I like But leaving him on the bench will give pretty good depth between him,perry, and the rookies that Make this team.
So I guess I would like to see
Wade, Dixon,Ruddy, Nails, Smith

Back
Top Bottom