Wade Smith starting LT ? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade Smith starting LT ?

But this ankle injury has really limited his explosion and athleticism. Even when he's back in a couple of weeks he won't be the same player that he was the first few years on this team

No offense, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how you know this. To my knowledge, as soon as Dixon suffered the ankle injury, he had surgery on it and has yet to practice on it. So how can you say what this ankle injury has or has not done to his game?

Originally posted by Chubby
Todd Wade Is a beast at the other Tackle Position. I Have been Watching him since last year he is big and strong and can run and pass block. I say move Him to LT move Smith to RT and Dixon and Nails as our gaurds. And for all you Nay sayers Give Ruddy his Do he is an excellent Center He is a major reason for rickys last years performance. Mcciney I like But leaving him on the bench will give pretty good depth between him,perry, and the rookies that Make this team.
So I guess I would like to see
Wade, Dixon,Ruddy, Nails, Smith

Wade at LT? No thanks unless you want to see Jay Fiedler scrambling for his life every other play.Tood Wade pass block ability is mediocre and I don't think he has the agility ot play LT.He already want top dollar even though he is a RT.

Wade is very good but if he moved to LT it's gonna look like a Mexican bullfight with everyone yelling "Ole'". He just doesn't have the athleticsm to play that position. I saw him give up a sack on Griese to an outside LB who beat him to the inside. He basically ran around him...TO THE INSIDE...and Wade totally whiffed on him. Quickness is definitely not his forte'.

Last edited by a moderator:
CK, this is the second time Dixon injured the ankle. He played all last season on it. Granted it was surgically repaired. I heard him on Joe Rose's Saturday AM radio show last season and he said himself that his explosion was hurt by it. He also said that if he couldn't play up to his capabilities then he would retire rather than be a lesser player. He's got a ton of pride and that's what motvates him. Look, he's one of my favorite players, I wish him all the best, but even before this latest injury you could see a limp in his step from the prior surgery. I'm not sure what he's got left.

Its really no wonder Todd Wade offered to move to LT, he's in a contract year and if he proves he can play LT his value skyrockets. But I agree, he gets beat on outside speed rushes a lot, and it appeared he was easily confused by the zone blitz scheme that Ricky caught that TD on against Jax. He needs to stay at RT

You're missing my point bdw. Dixons injury this time around as far as I know is a stress fracture, not a high ankle sprain with ligament damage like last time. So I'm asking, how do you know he's not the same with THIS ankle injury?

Stress fracture yes, in addition to them having to clean out some junk...so yeah, you're right, it's not really the same injury and I can't know for sure that it will have a continued negative effect, but the previous injury limited him to a degree and if there is any swelling in the ankle from the constant pounding it's going to take, there's a good chance it will limit him even more. I certainly hope not but with his history you can't rule it out. By the way, my comparison was to his first few years on the team prior to both surgeries.

CK,

You didn't know what you were missing did ya. The offensive line has so many things to break down. You're in hog heaven now I assume. :lol:
:jk:

IMO our O-Line should be as follows.

Dixon, Nails, Ruddy, Perry, Wade

Leave it as is. We had a 1800 yard rusher. Let's not mess with that.

Now in a few years maybe it could be

Smith, ??? , McKinney, ??? ,Wade

Don't know if Nails will re-sign, and do not know when Perry will re-tire.

Man I can't believe you guys are down on Todd Perry. Hello last half of the season it was Ricky running wild through the combo of Wade/Perry/McMicheal. If on the odd chance that Wade Smith wins the job I believe it would be Nails/Dixon's job to lose depending on what Dave would want more......better run blocking or better pass blocking. Also with Dixon's injury history he might be better off as a backup at tackle/guard. Not like we are paying him starters money.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Man I can't believe you guys are down on Todd Perry. Hello last half of the season it was Ricky running wild through the combo of Wade/Perry/McMicheal. If on the odd chance that Wade Smith wins the job I believe it would be Nails/Dixon's job to lose depending on what Dave would want more......better run blocking or better pass blocking. Also with Dixon's injury history he might be better off as a backup at tackle/guard. Not like we are paying him starters money.

Some people will always be down on him, because he is a ex-Bear and they think he's just Wanny's guy. T. Perry is the most consistent O-Lineman we have.

Oliver...

Oliver I agree with your assessment of people's attitude towards Perry...plus he played much better last year opposed to his first, but I think Nails was the most consistant last year...and most dominant.

Originally posted by bdwgroove
Oliver I agree with your assessment of people's attitude towards Perry...plus he played much better last year opposed to his first, but I think Nails was the most consistant last year...and most dominant.

Consistent? In run blocking yes. His pass blocking leaves a LOT to be desired.

Originally posted by bdwgroove
First, let me say that I love Mark Dixon...the guy's all heart! IMO he's borderline All-Pro at his best. But this ankle injury has really limited his explosion and athleticism. Even when he's back in a couple of weeks he won't be the same player that he was the first few years on this team. With all of that said, if Smith retains the starting LT job, I'm not so sure Dix beats out either of our starting G's for their job. Jaime Nails was our best run blocker by far last year and Perry is solid and never gets any credit. I mean, how many rushing yards did we have last year?!?! Someone must have been doing their job! If Dix comes back and plays the way he did last year---he starts---if the leg slows him down and the kid is able to maintain, then I think that Dixon will be on the bench. If that's the case, then sadly, I think this will be Mark's last year on this team.

amen bro :)

So does Perry's pass blocking.

Like I said before if you keep things the same the rest of the league catches up to you. If you have a chance to get better in an area you ought to do it, and not just fail to pull the trigger because you're scared.

Dixon is a better player than Todd Perry any given day. Nails is a better run blocker than Todd Perry any given day (but you're right his pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired). Basically most times I see Perry pulling, it really does not look to be very effective. I don't think its his thing, and in this offense I see a lot of pulling going on. Nails seems to enjoy pulling and seems to be very good at it. Sorry man, I dont know where ya'll read that Perry is our most consistent lineman but I just have to disagree. He's mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom