Wade Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade Smith

Originally posted by ZOD
I know we all got to watch him play and he did a fine job as a Rookie but I'd like to know what the pros think. Does anyone subscribe to a service that has graded out his performance? Have you seen any articles specifically about his game? Anything?

Some interesting tidbits here.

Wade Smith's NFL.com draft card

Great Blue North almost had him pegged. They said 71 and he eventually went at 78. Does anyone know which team the Dolphins thought they had to get in front of? Link?

Focus please....:D

Finformation?

If you set aside the Colts game, where Wanny & Co. basically threw him to the wolves (one on one blocking with Dwight Freeney the whole game? Way to go, guys.), Smith did a pretty solid job, especially over the second half of the season. He's only going to get better. Assuming we resign Wade, we're pretty well set at tackle for at least the next 5 years.

Whoops, we did stray a bit from the topic there, eh Zod? :}

After the #78 spot, you have a number of teams that were looking at problems on their offensive line, both at guard and tackle. Since Smith could also have projected as a guard, that spot probably made sense for the Phins. Buffalo, San Diego, Houston and the Jets could have all used a guard or tackle.

Originally posted by Muck
What's interesting is that GBN had him in that projection as a guard.

Thats because Smith is a guard.Hes not tall and doesnt have quite the wingspan you want at tackle.

Its like playing Seau at OLB when everyone knows hes a MLB.Paying JM and DT #2 money when they will always be a career #3.Then when trying to upgrade the QB position you get a career backup,just like Jay,even at Oregon.

Its been then trend.

Wade Smith compared to guys drafted ahead of him. Stats from Stats Inc., the website that does ESPNs stats.

2003 Draft
Jordon Gross- The Panthers didnt trust him to play Left Tackle. He was a RT in 2002. Played the full 16 games, was penalized 5 times, and gave up 3 sacks. I dont think you can really claim he performed better, seeing as Wade Smith faced some of the premere speed rushers in the league at LT. 8th pick. Currently 1st string RT.

George Foster- Did not start. 20th pick.
Currently 2nd string RT.

Kwame Harris- Started 5 games for the 49ers. Penalized 4 times, gave up 5 sacks. The ESPN depth chart has him at RT, not LT, I dont know what he played, but in any case, he did much worse then Wade Smith. 26th pick. Currently 2nd string RT.

John Stinchcomb- Did not start. 5th pick in 2nd round. Current 2nd string LT.

Wayne Hunter- Did not start. 9th pick, 2nd round. Currently 2nd string LT.

Seth Wand- Started 2 games. 1 penalty, 1 sack. 11th pick in the 2nd round. Currently 2nd string RT.

2002 Draft

Mike Williams- Not starting at LT. Allowed 7 1/2 sacks w/ 2 penalties in 2002, 9 1/2 sacks and 2 penalties in 2003. 4th pick, 1st round. Currently first string RT.

Bryant McKinney- Started 7 games his first year, penalized 6 times, allowed 4.75 sacks. In 2003, was penalized 5 times, allowed 11.0 sacks. 7th pick, 1st round. Currently 1st string LT.

Levi Jones- Started 14 games, penalized 6 times, allowed 8 sacks. Started 16 games in 2003, penalized 7 times, allowed 12 sacks. 10th pick, 1st round. Currently 1st string LT

Marc Colombo- Started 5 games in 2002. Penalized 5 times, allowed 3 sacks. Did not start in 2003. Currently the Bears 2nd string RT. 29th pick, 1st round.

Mike Pearson- Started 11 games in 2002. Penalized 3 times, gave up 6 sacks. Started 16 games in 2003, gave up 6 sacks, penalized 9 times. 8th pick, 2nd round. Currently starting LT.

Langston Walker- Started 2 games in 2002. Penalized 3 times, gave up 1/2 a sack. Started 8 games in 2003, penalized 4 times, gave up 3 1/2 sacks. Currently the teams 2nd string RT.

2001 Draft-(Not looking up what side Tackle they play anymore, so be advised)
Leonard Davis- NA, plays Guard now.

Kenyatta Walker- 16 games as a rookie. 6 penalties, 11 sacks. 2nd year, 13 games started 7 penalties, 7 sacks. Third season, 17 penalties, 4.5 sacks. 14th pick, 1st round. Currently starting RT.

Jeff Backus- Rookie season, 16 games, 9 penalties, 11 1/2 sacks. Second year, 7 penalties, 3 1/2 sacks. Third year, 8 penalties, 3 sacks. 18th pick, 1st round. Currently starting LT.

Maurice Williams- Rookie season, 16 games, 7 penalties, 7 sacks. Second year, 5 games played, 1 penalty, 0 sacks. Third season, 16 games, 8 penalties, 5 1/2 sacks. Currently starting RT.

Matt Light- Rookie 12 games started, 1 penalty, 10 sacks. 2nd season 8 penalties, 11 1/2 sacks. 3rd season, 9 penalties, 3 1/2 sacks. Currently starting LT.

Source- http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/findplayer.asp

We got a pretty good deal there.

Consider the fact that he was meant to be a project. Look at his Draft bio. Consider the problems he had, and the shortcomings listed. Dont they sound both familiar and correctable?

The reason he didnt have any penalties is cause he barely even got a block or a hand on a guy let alone get him enough to hold his jersey. I hope he shapes into a good linemen but as for last year i have to disagree with most of you he played bad no matter when he was picked in the draft it is no excuse.

HE is on the all rookie team cause he was the only rookie who started at LT in the league so they had no one else to chose

alright you got me there, but I have not given up on him yet

Originally posted by Brad528
The reason he didnt have any penalties is cause he barely even got a block or a hand on a guy let alone get him enough to hold his jersey. I hope he shapes into a good linemen but as for last year i have to disagree with most of you he played bad no matter when he was picked in the draft it is no excuse.

Hello!!!
No false starts, no holding, no illegal procedure, no penalties at all.
Very impressive for a rookie.

Hate on Wade Smith all you want. He was SUPPOSED to be a backup. He got thrown into one of the toughest positions in the game his first year when he was undersized and hadn't even been playing tackle all that long. Dwight Freeney, Jevon Kearse, and a lot of other guys he faced make pro bowl veterans look bad . . . so I think the criticism is a bit unfair.

As for hearing anything about him from professionals, Jeff Fisher said he is going to be great. That's gospel as far as I'm concerned because Fisher is one of the best coaches in the league and has a great eye for talent.

wade smith is not better suited to play guard. he's a hell of an athlete. he just needs to add some strength. he also needs to put on some muscle weight this offseason. He put on 20 pounds in training camp, but that melted off because it was bogus weight, which is basically just fat weight. out of all our lineman right now, he, and if we resign todd wade, are the only ones assured of starting next year. so basically what i am saying is, get off his back. he will be a solid player.

They said 71 and he eventually went at 78. Does anyone know which team the Dolphins thought they had to get in front of? Link? [/B]

They weren't trading up to get him. They traded prior to the draft in an attempt to package the extra third and move into the frst round.......probably fro Kwame Harrris or George Foster. It blew up in their faces when they couldn't swing a deal, but I think that they made the best of it with Wade Smith.

Not many 3rd rounders can come in a start every game as a rookie, at any position. He deserves credit just for that.

If you analyze the trade now......we spent our 2nd round pick this year on a starting LT with 16 NFL starts to his credit. I challene anyone to find a more valuable player (keep in mind how big a need OL line is) that could be had at the 20th pick in the second round.

Re: Re: Wade Smith

Originally posted by burger13

They weren't trading up to get him. They traded prior to the draft in an attempt to package the extra third and move into the frst round.......probably fro Kwame Harrris or George Foster. It blew up in their faces when they couldn't swing a deal, but I think that they made the best of it with Wade Smith.

Not many 3rd rounders can come in a start every game as a rookie, at any position. He deserves credit just for that.

If you analyze the trade now......we spent our 2nd round pick this year on a starting LT with 16 NFL starts to his credit. I challene anyone to find a more valuable player (keep in mind how big a need OL line is) that could be had at the 20th pick in the second round.

We actually wanted to move up the board to get Eric Steinbach. The Bengals drafted him first in the beginning of the second round. He had played C, G, and OT in college and was a pro bowl alternate this year as well. He was very solid this year.

Back
Top Bottom