Wannstedt overrided Spielman in 2003 Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt overrided Spielman in 2003 Draft?

Gonk

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was reading earlier that Wannstedt actually overrided some of Spielmans picks in last years draft. Anyone know who Rick wanted to draft, and who we got instead?

Rick wanted to draft Anquan Boldin or Tyrone Calico. Wannstedt wanted Eddie Moore.

Back in 2001, Rick wanted to draft Drew Brees. Wannstedt wanted to draft Jamar Fletcher.

Well I'm glad Wannstedt won the argument in 2001, not so glad about 2003.

This franchise would be in even worst position if we drafted Brees cuz we would have had to commit to him for years before deciding he was a dud.

Well, I'm not a Brees fan, but the fact that Rick wanted a QB shows that he knew the future of that position was a problem.

Remember, that was the pick that Rick was going to deal to Green Bay for Matt Hasselbeck. Now, had that gone through, Miami would have been better off today. If Rick had final say back then, Matt Hasselbeck would be Miami's starting QB. Dave Wannstedt drug his feet on giving the OK for that deal, and when Rick finally got the approval, it was too late.

So, Rick wanted a QB obviously. At that point, there was a lot of evaluating done on Brees. Brees was in Miami the day before the draft. Miami's scouts new everything to know about him. Miami's college scouting director back then was Tom Braatz, and he was sold on Brees. He thought Brees was a very smart quarterback who had enough arm and enough pocket mobility to be a good one. Some other scouts weren't as sold on him, but with the need of a quarterback being great and the fact that Brees was the best one on the board, Rick Spielman sided with Tom Braatz.

You never know if Brees would have been any different in Miami though. Norv Turner liked him enough in San Diego that Brees was starting by the end of his rookie season. He's never had much of a supporting cast in San Diego.

No he wouldn't. We offered the pick. Seattle's first rounder was simply higher.

No.

Rick and Ron had agreed on the deal. If Rick had the ability to approve deals back then, that deal would have been done. There was a 30 minute lag from the time Rick and Ron agreed on the deal to the time Rick finally found Dave to get the approval. It was in that time that Ted Thompson and Mike Holmgren jumped in and upped their offer.

The deal was done to the point that Rick had negotiated a contract extension with Matt's agent, and Matt's agent contacted Matt to tell him that he was heading to Miami.

Seattle having the better pick became a factor only because Rick had to go find Dave to get the approval.

And Dave gave the approval, you can't really put it on Dave for being on his lunch break.:lol:

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Well I'm glad Wannstedt won the argument in 2001, not so glad about 2003.

This franchise would be in even worst position if we drafted Brees cuz we would have had to commit to him for years before deciding he was a dud.

how do you know this? do you have a source?

have to give whoever props for getting chambers and mcmichael though.

Rick S...

I like what happened today. I think Rick will be a very good GM. I know it has been stated, but if Dave listened to Rick, Anquan Boldin would be a Dolphin. I have to tell you, that really pisses me off. We will have to see what Danny Boy does, but I like it!!!
I realize he has no experience, but I think he will do a great job. As far as I know, he has been a success in all areas of his life. I can't wait to see Danny and Rick in the draft room. Is it draft time yet?!?!?!?!?!

Nothing but love to all the fin fans!!!

That is probably not all.

I expect there to be Dan, Rick, Wanny with much less leeway obviously, Ron Wolf, and possibly another consultant.

Originally posted by InMyChambers

how do you know this? do you have a source?

have to give whoever props for getting chambers and mcmichael though.

Meaning the contract they would of had to have signed Brees to.

Oliver...

It's not that much. Actually it's Fletcher's salary. After pick 5 first round picks don't get that much.

The three guys that Rick had wanted were Boldin, Washington, Calico, & someone else at another position that I can't think of at the moment.

I read the Spielman wanted Chad Johnson, not Drew Brees, instead of Jamar Fletcher. If this is true, Welcome aboard Mr. G.M.

Back
Top Bottom