Wannstedt overrided Spielman in 2003 Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt overrided Spielman in 2003 Draft?

I read the Spielman wanted Chad Johnson, not Drew Brees, instead of Jamar Fletcher. If this is true, Welcome aboard Mr. G.M.

I realize that was Round 1 pick but if we had gotten Chad Johnson. would we have taken another WR in the 2nd Round in Chris Chambers?

Just some food for thought. But I like C. Johnson a top 10 WR right now.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...n13,0,7244966.column?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

'Huizenga rightfully holds cards no one else does. He no doubt debriefed Spielman and Wannstedt on who made the Ricky Williams trade (Spielman), who made the final call to draft failed cornerback Jamar Fletcher (Wannstedt) and who picked linebacker Eddie Moore this past draft (Wannstedt) instead of receiver Anquan Boldin (which Spielman wanted to do).'

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Well I'm glad Wannstedt won the argument in 2001, not so glad about 2003.

This franchise would be in even worst position if we drafted Brees cuz we would have had to commit to him for years before deciding he was a dud.

He committed to Fiedler for 7 yrs total and still doesn't know he's a dud either !! :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by poppy
I read the Spielman wanted Chad Johnson, not Drew Brees, instead of Jamar Fletcher. If this is true, Welcome aboard Mr. G.M.

The Dolphins are also Chad Johnson's favorite team, he really wanted to come here.

Originally posted by DeDolfan
Where does all this info come from all of a sudden??

This info isn't new. It came out right after each of the respective drafts. People are just bringing it up again b/c of the front office changes.

What info? About who wanted who & who wanted to go where? It's been out for a while. The Miami newspapers are the ones that reported most of it.

None of this info is "all of a sudden".
These things came out timely in accordance to the events that are mentioned. They are just being referenced again now that all these front office decisions have been made.

The information on the draft that we wasted our 1st round pick on Jamar Fletcher came out slowly in the months after the draft.
Many strories mentioned dissention within the organization on that pick.

The pick of Eddie Moore during the last draft you should all still remember. Stories came out that the majority of the Dolphin draft team including Speilmann wanted either WR's Bouldin or Calico and that it was Wanny that was intent on the Eddie Moore kid.

There have also been stories on interviews with a Dolphin insider on condition of annonimity that Speilman was the man intent on upgrading the QB position, while Wanny had tied himself to the Fiedler wagon. Specifically, this information came out during the attempt to sign Matt Hasselback.

Speilman being able to see the need of an upgrade at QB in the past is enough for me to be happy about this move.

Back
Top Bottom