Wannstedt's Last Chance? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt's Last Chance?

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
From Pete Prisco (I know, he hates us :o ):
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6380802

"The Dolphins did everything the way they wanted to last year. They led the league in rushing and had the top-rated defense in the AFC, yet they still failed to make the playoffs after another late-season collapse. That has Wannstedt on the hot seat in Miami, where anything but a playoff berth might cost one of the league's nicest men his job. Wannstedt has stated the passing game has to go to a higher level, which also puts some pressure on offensive coordinator Norv Turner and quarterback Jay Fiedler. But there is no denying Wannstedt can't afford another non-playoff year in a city that still reveres a man named Shula. "

Though I disagree with Pete almost all the time, he's right about this one. The Dolphins have got to win this year. I think he might be wrong about one thing. I think Wanny has to do more than just make the playoffs, the Dolphins have to win a game or two. Anything less and I think he's gone.

Originally posted by PhinKev
From Pete Prisco (I know, he hates us :o ):
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6380802

"The Dolphins did everything the way they wanted to last year. They led the league in rushing and had the top-rated defense in the AFC, yet they still failed to make the playoffs after another late-season collapse. That has Wannstedt on the hot seat in Miami, where anything but a playoff berth might cost one of the league's nicest men his job. Wannstedt has stated the passing game has to go to a higher level, which also puts some pressure on offensive coordinator Norv Turner and quarterback Jay Fiedler. But there is no denying Wannstedt can't afford another non-playoff year in a city that still reveres a man named Shula. "

Though I disagree with Pete almost all the time, he's right about this one. The Dolphins have got to win this year. I think he might be wrong about one thing. I think Wanny has to do more than just make the playoffs, the Dolphins have to win a game or two. Anything less and I think he's gone.

The Dolphins have to make it to the conference title game at the very least, and even that may not be enough to save Wanny's job.

Oliver...

Conference title game gets Wanny a nice extension.

Absolutely, MarinoFan. And if we get to the Super Bowl (forget for a moment about winning it), he'll never have to leave.

If the team doesn't win the division, if I were the owner, I'd be looking at doing something to shake this team up... This is the most talented team Wannstedt's EVER had, and if they do bring in Brian Griese, then I feel they've done everything we could ask under the cap to get this team to the next level... Adding Griese should appease fans who don't care for Fiedler, so long as there is honest open competition for the job next season...

Re: Re: Wannstedt's Last Chance?

Originally posted by Oliver

The Dolphins have to make it to the conference title game at the very least, and even that may not be enough to save Wanny's job.

Oliver...

Getting to the game saves him so long as we don't have another Jacksonville blowout.

"The Dolphins did everything the way they wanted to last year"

...almost everything. they suffered a devastating injury. after a super bowl win, the media generally asks the head coach which factors were most instrumental in their SB run. 10 times out of 10, the head coach begins his response with, "we avoided major injuries." no excuses, but if jay avoids injury vs denver, all other factors equal, miami probably wins the SB.

No way...

The injury didn't happen the week before the Vikings or Patriots games... Win either of those, and there would be no mention of the 6 weeks Jay was out... Blame our failure to make it to the post season on either of those 2 games...

If the Fins make the AFC title gm. Wanny is staying. You can take that to the bank. Anything less and he's in jeopardy of going bye bye.
No playoffs and he's without a doubt gone.

Yup I agree with you guys, we got to get really deep, and I mean "really" deep, this upcoming season if Wanny wants to stick around......An AFC championship game should be satisfactory....

Originally posted by T-ROCK
No way...

The injury didn't happen the week before the Vikings or Patriots games... Win either of those, and there would be no mention of the 6 weeks Jay was out... Blame our failure to make it to the post season on either of those 2 games...

Fiedler was injured for those final games, though. He played because Lucas was so inept. A healthy Fiedler wins most of the games we lost with Lucas at the helm plus those final two games. Without major injuries last year, we would have advanced to the point where many of us think we must advance this year.

I actually agree w/the prick, but if all are healthy and we do not advance deep into the playoffs or are humiliated, Wanne will be gone. There are injuries that could occur - that I would not rather not mention :( - that could cause blame to shift away from Wanne IMO

If we are healthy this season, we WILL be in serious superbowl contention. That being said, every team has to deal with injuries, and some still make the playoffs. Wanny's on the hot seat, but I think he'll be off it about halfway through the season.

Originally posted by T-ROCK
No way...

ok, i'll give you that...but if jay doesnt get hurt, THERE'S NO WAY miami goes 2-4 over that six game stretch. i hate to speculate(wait...i love to speculate ;)), but we can ALL agree on that point. in fact, if miami ONLY goes 3-3, those games vs minn and NE are irrelevant as miami gets in after the oakland win.

Originally posted by wahwee
If we are healthy this season, we WILL be in serious superbowl contention. That being said, every team has to deal with injuries, and some still make the playoffs. Wanny's on the hot seat, but I think he'll be off it about halfway through the season.

we'll see...even if miami starts 8-0, the december swoon questions will remain. this team needs to finish strong to silence the doubters, and their own doubts.

Back
Top Bottom