Wannstedt's Last Chance? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt's Last Chance?

Originally posted by Fiedler for MVP

we'll see...even if miami starts 8-0, the december swoon questions will remain. this team needs to finish strong to silence the doubters, and their own doubts.
we especially betta, mustm abso-f'ing-lutely must win that last game at home ag :jetssuck:

Originally posted by DannyNoonan

Fiedler was injured for those final games, though. He played because Lucas was so inept. A healthy Fiedler wins most of the games we lost with Lucas at the helm plus those final two games. Without major injuries last year, we would have advanced to the point where many of us think we must advance this year.

Fiedler looked okay in the Bears and Raiders games...

He did enough for us to win BOTH of those final 2 games... Where was the defense in the Vikings game??? Why couldn't we fall on a fumble or stop Randy Moss from throwing a TD pass???

Lucas didn't help us make the playoffs, but we were still a win away from them with 2 games to go... and as a team, we didn't do enough...

Originally posted by T-ROCK
No way...

The injury didn't happen the week before the Vikings or Patriots games... Win either of those, and there would be no mention of the 6 weeks Jay was out... Blame our failure to make it to the post season on either of those 2 games...

Sorry T-Rock, it's about confidence, and Lucas ruined this teams overall confidence. They saw what we all saw when Lucas self destructed in that Bills game. Everyone knew including the Phin players that he essentially just gave away the #1 seed in the AFC.

Of course this doesn't exscuse their choking late in the season, but there is a reason why it happened last year IMO. That main reason is Lucas wrecked this teams confidence.

Just when this team started to believe they could dominate the NFL, Ray Lucas happened to the Dolphins. No more confidence.

Oliver...

If it was truly confidence, wouldn't the Raider game have restored that confidence???

Sorry, I can't lay it on Lucas... Lucas was a factor in at least 4 losses, but we lost 2 of the last 4, and after a huge win against the Raiders, confidence should have been high...

But we faded, and that's all there is to it, we didn't play like a championship calibre team, and that's why we were home for the playoffs... Blame it on Offense, blame it on Defense, blame it on coaching, there's plenty of blame to go around... But to say we lacked confidence because of Ray Lucas is wrong, in my opinion...

If it was truly confidence, wouldn't the Raider game have restored that confidence???

Sorry, I can't lay it on Lucas... Lucas was a factor in at least 4 losses, but we lost 2 of the last 4, and after a huge win against the Raiders, confidence should have been high...

But we faded, and that's all there is to it, we didn't play like a championship calibre team, and that's why we were home for the playoffs... Blame it on Offense, blame it on Defense, blame it on coaching, there's plenty of blame to go around... But to say we lacked confidence because of Ray Lucas is wrong, in my opinion...

So you're saying we should have lost to the Bills at home with Fiedler at QB?

Like I said I never made any exscuses for the late season choke job. It's something this D has been doing for 6-years.

But yes I do believe if we won just one or two more games while Lucas was the QB going into the Vikes and Pats games yes I think we end up winning those 2 games to end the season.

Oliver...

I never asaid we "should have" lost to the Bills...

All I am saying is that we won 2 games in a row when Fiedler came back and started, and had to win only one more game, and we were in both of them, actually had the Patriots game won, and still managed to lose...

No way do you ever convince me that we lost in New England with an 11 point lead and under 5 minutes to play because of Ray Lucas...

We probably win if:

Fiedler completes the pass to Chambers...

Royals punts the ball like a man...

Wannstedt calls some running plays on the next to last series...

But this is beating a dead horse... we lost, it sucks, and life goes on...

To bad we didn't have the toughest schedule of the year.

We seem to beat the good teams and lose to crappy/mediocre teams.

I never asaid we "should have" lost to the Bills...

All I am saying is that we won 2 games in a row when Fiedler came back and started, and had to win only one more game, and we were in both of them, actually had the Patriots game won, and still managed to lose...

No way do you ever convince me that we lost in New England with an 11 point lead and under 5 minutes to play because of Ray Lucas...

We probably win if:

Fiedler completes the pass to Chambers...

Royals punts the ball like a man...

Wannstedt calls some running plays on the next to last series...

But this is beating a dead horse... we lost, it sucks, and life goes on...

How did you ever get the idea Lucas lost the game for us in New England when we had the 11 point lead? I told you, I am making no excuses for the D choking late in the season. They've been doing that for 6-years.

I am simply saying it was a less confident team, because of what Lucas did to us in his 6 starts. If he some how was able to win one or two more games I believe we win that game in New England, because they would have been more confident.

Confidence, the mental part of football is huge. Lucas wrecked their confidence that the team had built up after beating the Broncos. It seems simple to me.

Oliver...

a team up by 11 points with less than 5 minutes to play, on the road against the defending Super Bowl Champs lacked confidence???

no way do you EVER convince me they weren't confident... Maybe Dungystedt wasn't confident and that's why he was already thinking about Patriots field position when we had a 1st down...

a team up by 11 points with less than 5 minutes to play, on the road against the defending Super Bowl Champs lacked confidence???

no way do you EVER convince me they weren't confident... Maybe Dungystedt wasn't confident and that's why he was already thinking about Patriots field position when we had a 1st down...

Yes, that's my opinion of what happened. But to further expand on that thought, if those 2 other wins took place the lead would have been more than just 11 points. Confidence = more points.

Convince you or not, that's what I think. Ray Lucas ruined our season because he wrecked the teams confidence. Again he was not the only one, but he's on top of my list in that department.

Oliver...

Re: Re: Wannstedt's Last Chance?

Originally posted by Oliver

The Dolphins have to make it to the conference title game at the very least, and even that may not be enough to save Wanny's job.

Oliver...

I agree. That would be the very least that would be the biggest improvment the Fins have made since wanny's been here. He started off winning the AFCE, good, indentical record but getting a wildcard, some slippage, then we were down 2 in the win column, had the AFCE sewed up for several weeks before the end of regulation, but we really slipped and damn near broke our necks!! :evil: Altho doing it in reverse order, hopefully in year 4 we do better than year one and that as you say, the AFC game at a minmum. but I think even with all the optimism and mostly pessimism abounding, I think the general majority would think that if we can just get tHAT far, then we should be able to just take it all. But we have that slight bump in the road ahead of us yet, if you know what I mean?? ;)

whatever...

Whatever? Why the attitude? As far as I can see we both have our points, we simply disagree. There's no reason to get like that T-Rock.

Oliver...

Ok kids play nice..lol I agree that wanny has to get to the afc championship to save or extend his contract with us ..some one said halfway thru the season they will be off him .. but I think thats ridiculous .. halfway point is when we start talking about the swoon .. and untill wanny finds a way to get this team playing hot at the END of the regular season he will be suspect at best.

Originally posted by badfoot
Ok kids play nice..lol I agree that wanny has to get to the afc championship to save or extend his contract with us ..some one said halfway thru the season they will be off him .. but I think thats ridiculous .. halfway point is when we start talking about the swoon .. and untill wanny finds a way to get this team playing hot at the END of the regular season he will be suspect at best.

I believe that's what I was trying to do.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom