Wants vs Needs : Why Not Feeley??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wants vs Needs : Why Not Feeley???

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
I know you've all heard the saying before....

"You can't always get what you want."
============================
We all "wanted" a proven starter at QB. We all "wanted" a QB who would instill total confidence in our passing attack from day one....

We all "wanted" Fiedler out. Many of us saying,"I don't care who the new QB is, as long as it's not Jay Fiedler." I said the same thing myself....

Now to the important, and logical part of this equation....

"If you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what
you "need".".........
========================================

In new QB AJ Feeley, the Phinz didn't get what they "wanted", but they more than likely got exactly what they "needed"....

All we really "needed" was an upgrade at QB. Even if it's just a minimal upgrade, isn't that all that really matters?? Wasn't that the plan going into the off-season, to find an upgrade over Fiedler???.....

Our "wants" and our "needs" are two different things. While we didn't get what we "wanted" at QB {A legit / proven starter}, in the long run, we did get what we "need" {An upgrade over Fiedler}.....

We can't judge Feeley yet. That would be unfair. Nobody knows what will come of this opportunity for Feeley. It could turn out to be just what we "needed", and in the long run, also just what we "wanted" all along.....

Just give it a chance before saying it wont work....

As Phinz fans, we need to stop being so critical. We're basically throwing AJ Feeley's skills away before even giving him a chance to prove us wrong. That's not fair. If it were Henson / Rivers / Losman we were talking about here, you'd be willing to give those unproven QB's a chance wouldn't you???

Why not Feeley???....He deserves a chance to start more than they do. He's paid his dues in Philly, and now we've got him. He's ours, and if Feeley turns this offense around, we should all be ashamed in ourselves for ever doubting Feeley and R. Speilman...

There is a reason why he's the Phinz GM, and none of us are. He knows players / talent better than we do....

We're just fans. We only seem to get excited when talking about what we "want". What we "need" is more important IMO, and we got what we "need". An upgrade at QB....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

I'm liking Feeley. I think I'm the only one who didn't got crazy when I heard the news. But I hope that sportsline article about us still meeting with Casserley over Henson is true.... I'd love our Depth chart to look like this next season: 1.Feeley, 2. Fiedler, 3.Henson.

I won't bash the guy just yet......but at this time I don't see how this is an upgrade. Only positive side I see is the kid is what, 26?, and can probably grow to be a better QB then JF in the future....in a couple of years. He's barely played ANY games in college or pro, has the same advantages/disadvantages as Jay (except Jay's more mobile).

I hope my fins are planning on picking up Ramsey as the starter and getting Feeley as a backup.....or something like that. I don't think AJ sucks but I'm scared s--tless that he's going to wind up being another Lucas/BG backup who sucks even worse then Fiedler when put in the spotlight and everyone will be crying for FeeFee to be back again....except this time he probably won't be there to come back (from an injury as in year's past). No one likes Jay until he's out of the game. So I just hope AJ can be AT LEAST as good as JF and hopefully more.....I'm actually kind of pissed that we spent a #2 pick next year for this guy.

Hey Blitz:

I think the thing is, that we want to not only make it to the playoffs but win a Super Bowl.

Getting a little better than Jay doesn't cut that. I think we need a legitimate threat at the positon. A guy who the defense has to scheme for not around. I just don't think Feeley is that kind of guy. Just like with Jay, now we have to really pump up the supporting cast to make it work. We could have bought some serious progress with a signifigant upgrade at one position, QB. A talented proven QB versus a questionable third string would have been huge. Imagine if a defense had to go into a game next year and the D coordinator has to look across and see Brunell/Warner throwing to Chambers, Rashan Woods,McMichael AND have to game plan for Ricky running behind Woody/ Nails/Villareal/and Wade.

Now substitute Feeley in at QB...

the threat goes WAY down.

Considering we want to win THIS year before they swap out Geritol for gaorade on defense. It seems like I high risk decision that could be disasterous if it doesn't work out. Teh funny thing to me is the Fiedler Huggers have to dig this. They are all now on the Feeley band wagon. So if he is good they will say "see he was good what a brilliant move!"
If he stinks they will revert back and go "See Jay wasn't so bad! See what change did!! We had it good with Jay and NOW look!"

The real answer, the right answer, is to get real talent at the positon.

Originally posted by fin-atic
Hey Blitz:

I think the thing is, that we want to not only make it to the playoffs but win a Super Bowl.

Getting a little better than Jay doesn't cut that.

We went 10-6 with jay(missed a few due to injury), we made the playoffs with Jay... I understand your point and id love to have real talent at QB, RB(ricky), WR(chambers), TE(McMike) and become a dynasty, but it's extremely tough to do that this day in age.

That being said, we really only do need a small upgrade, we had an awful passing game, awful running game, and we went 10-6, come on guys. A small upgrade in the passing game is a plus, this would also upgrade the running game, and a small decrease in turnovers would lead to a couple wins. We just need a little bit more out of feeley than fiedler and we can be a legit SB contender.

I'd love a real proven talent at the position, but we didnt have a legit shot at anyone that could give us that this year, so let's see if feeley can take the necessary leap. Even if he doesn't become a star, if he jsut a little better than jay we should be fine.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
I know you've all heard the saying before....

"You can't always get what you want."
============================
We all "wanted" a proven starter at QB. We all "wanted" a QB who would instill total confidence in our passing attack from day one....

We all "wanted" Fiedler out. Many of us saying,"I don't care who the new QB is, as long as it's not Jay Fiedler." I said the same thing myself....

Now to the important, and logical part of this equation....

"If you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what
you "need".".........
========================================

In new QB AJ Feeley, the Phinz didn't get what they "wanted", but they more than likely got exactly what they "needed"....

All we really "needed" was an upgrade at QB. Even if it's just a minimal upgrade, isn't that all that really matters?? Wasn't that the plan going into the off-season, to find an upgrade over Fiedler???.....

Our "wants" and our "needs" are two different things. While we didn't get what we "wanted" at QB {A legit / proven starter}, in the long run, we did get what we "need" {An upgrade over Fiedler}.....

We can't judge Feeley yet. That would be unfair. Nobody knows what will come of this opportunity for Feeley. It could turn out to be just what we "needed", and in the long run, also just what we "wanted" all along.....

Just give it a chance before saying it wont work....

As Phinz fans, we need to stop being so critical. We're basically throwing AJ Feeley's skills away before even giving him a chance to prove us wrong. That's not fair. If it were Henson / Rivers / Losman we were talking about here, you'd be willing to give those unproven QB's a chance wouldn't you???

Why not Feeley???....He deserves a chance to start more than they do. He's paid his dues in Philly, and now we've got him. He's ours, and if Feeley turns this offense around, we should all be ashamed in ourselves for ever doubting Feeley and R. Speilman...

There is a reason why he's the Phinz GM, and none of us are. He knows players / talent better than we do....

We're just fans. We only seem to get excited when talking about what we "want". What we "need" is more important IMO, and we got what we "need". An upgrade at QB....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

I don't mind Feeley at all. Matter of fact, i like what he was able to do in phil while backing up their backup. It looks more and more like the FO is in a desperate search to find the next Warner, Bulger or Brady. Most of these kind of guys were 5th or 6th rnd picks or even undrafted which is just where felley fits in by being drafted with the Eagles second 5th rnd pick that year. However, i do not think teams draft players in those rounds with hopes that they will be NFL stars one day, but genrally for good backup depth at a reasonable $$. Guys like terrell Davis and zack were late rnd picks, 6th and 5th respectively, but are the great exception rather than the rule tho. Warner got his chance because of injury to trent green and vermeil would've been crazy to pull him later on when green was healthy since he and the team was playing so much better than ever hoped for. Same for brady. Bledsoe went down in the 2nd week or so and brady had the pats clicking so well that BB would've been nutzo primero by pulling brady at that time. But the difference was, these guys were aquired by the team they now excel on (Warner did dive but they found another luck shot in Bulger tho). In other words, they were already there and when they got their chance, they made the most out of it. did each overachieve? Probably, but in any case, their talents fit their particular system to a T. Now Feeley may tear it up down here but i would imagine the odds are highly against that and thereby making this kind of move risky and a far reach at best. If they were looking for the next brady, why not just tender Sage??? Or just re-sign him to a cheap contract? Teams don't exactly beat down the other teams doors to trade for backups, except us of course. Anyway, the contract alone says that feeley will be our starter simply by the amount offered. Now the buzz is that Fiedelr could possibly be back as feeley's backup. Now, just how stupid will this deal look like if Fiedler agrees to a cut, comes back and wins "back" the starting job from Feeley?? If Fiedler does come back, i would say the odds would be in Fiedler's corner since he does have the definite edge iin starting as well as the team's system. Well, better than the odds of feeley coming in anf lighting this joint up at least.
But don't get me wrong. I am NOT against Feeley. I am 100% AGAINST the deal that's bringing him here. This contract is one of the dumbest I have ever seen, actually. Know why? he's a RFA anyway. He can sign a offer anywhere he wants. Some thinks he would be tendered for a 1st rnd pick, but IMO, that's just BS, since if they did, they's wind up keeping him and paying him a much larger salary next yr. More than likely, they would tender him just for the right of fist refusal in that if the only offer he got was for the league min, then no doubt they would match. Now, the Fins enter the FA game. Spielman signs him to an offer for the same deal he has now. Does Philly match?? Not on your life, So, the Fins would wind up with feeley anyway cuz nobody else is stupid enough to offer that PLUS we keep next yrea's #2 pick.

Spielman's "excuse" already is som'n like that if we wait around, we may wind up with nothing. That is true if you sit around and DO nothing.
Some folx have even said how they "admire" Spielman for it and how he "has the balls" to pull off a deal like this, to which i say........................... WTF?? :confused: :rolleyes:

Looking at it another way, tho, it most definitelt a helluv deal all right !! For Philadelphia that is !! but there should be a law that prevents intelligent ppl from taking advantage of lesser minded ones like this !! :lol:

I agree with Blitz...

Lets give him a chance. Let's be optimistic for a change and think he will do well... at LEAST until he messes up (lets hope he does not) on the field. If he comes out and stinks up the place, than I will be right there with all the doubters saying it was a terrible move. Until then I am going to think it was a good trade and will work out for us.

I have heard all the talk, well if he is so good why was he third string and why did Detmer come in and play in the NFC championship game. Which I can answer real easy... Detmer was/is the holder for extrapoints/fg's. Thus he will play a lot. In the NFL the 3rd string or "emergency" qb does not play unless he has to. By that the rule states that if the 3rd string qb plays before the 4th quarter then the starting qb CAN NOT play the rest of the game. Thus you play the 2nd string IF the starter has ANY chance of coming back and playing.

Have we had any concrete clarification on the traded pick? Is it a #2 that can become a #1 or a #3 that can be a #2? Hell, maybe it's a #4 that can become a #2. Until we know the facts, we should relax a little. Otherwise, some of us won't make through the offseason :)

All things fine and dandy....

Like most , if not all of you have stated hundreds of times before, our upgrade in the passing game will start with:

1- Upgrade in QB, possibly with Feeley, we already have (waiting for the deal to be signed)...

2- Upgrade in OL, to give the QB the 3 seconds he needs to find an open reciever...

3- A good or great RB (we have him already)...

3- A real and honest a goodness # 1 WR, that can line up opposite CC. This reciever will need to execute by taking avantage of CC's double coverage...

I might be wrong, but this is my opinion...

Feeley MAY be the QB we need, but he has not proven it on the field in his previous experience. We'll find out this fall.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Have we had any concrete clarification on the traded pick? Is it a #2 that can become a #1 or a #3 that can be a #2? Hell, maybe it's a #4 that can become a #2. Until we know the facts, we should relax a little. Otherwise, some of us won't make through the offseason :)

From all i heard, it is a conditional #2 pick. meaning if Feeley never makes it on the field at all, phil will get at least our #2 pick. depending on the conditions like amount of playing time or overall rating, whatever they choose, if those conditions are met, then it'll likely be our #1 pick. IMO, it ain't good news.

Re: Re: Wants vs Needs : Why Not Feeley???

Originally posted by DeDolfan

I don't mind Feeley at all. Matter of fact, i like what he was able to do in phil while backing up their backup. It looks more and more like the FO is in a desperate search to find the next Warner, Bulger or Brady. Most of these kind of guys were 5th or 6th rnd picks or even undrafted which is just where felley fits in by being drafted with the Eagles second 5th rnd pick that year. However, i do not think teams draft players in those rounds with hopes that they will be NFL stars one day, but genrally for good backup depth at a reasonable $$. Guys like terrell Davis and zack were late rnd picks, 6th and 5th respectively, but are the great exception rather than the rule tho. Warner got his chance because of injury to trent green and vermeil would've been crazy to pull him later on when green was healthy since he and the team was playing so much better than ever hoped for. Same for brady. Bledsoe went down in the 2nd week or so and brady had the pats clicking so well that BB would've been nutzo primero by pulling brady at that time. But the difference was, these guys were aquired by the team they now excel on (Warner did dive but they found another luck shot in Bulger tho). In other words, they were already there and when they got their chance, they made the most out of it. did each overachieve? Probably, but in any case, their talents fit their particular system to a T. Now Feeley may tear it up down here but i would imagine the odds are highly against that and thereby making this kind of move risky and a far reach at best. If they were looking for the next brady, why not just tender Sage??? Or just re-sign him to a cheap contract? Teams don't exactly beat down the other teams doors to trade for backups, except us of course. Anyway, the contract alone says that feeley will be our starter simply by the amount offered. Now the buzz is that Fiedelr could possibly be back as feeley's backup. Now, just how stupid will this deal look like if Fiedler agrees to a cut, comes back and wins "back" the starting job from Feeley?? If Fiedler does come back, i would say the odds would be in Fiedler's corner since he does have the definite edge iin starting as well as the team's system. Well, better than the odds of feeley coming in anf lighting this joint up at least.
But don't get me wrong. I am NOT against Feeley. I am 100% AGAINST the deal that's bringing him here. This contract is one of the dumbest I have ever seen, actually. Know why? he's a RFA anyway. He can sign a offer anywhere he wants. Some thinks he would be tendered for a 1st rnd pick, but IMO, that's just BS, since if they did, they's wind up keeping him and paying him a much larger salary next yr. More than likely, they would tender him just for the right of fist refusal in that if the only offer he got was for the league min, then no doubt they would match. Now, the Fins enter the FA game. Spielman signs him to an offer for the same deal he has now. Does Philly match?? Not on your life, So, the Fins would wind up with feeley anyway cuz nobody else is stupid enough to offer that PLUS we keep next yrea's #2 pick.

Spielman's "excuse" already is som'n like that if we wait around, we may wind up with nothing. That is true if you sit around and DO nothing.
Some folx have even said how they "admire" Spielman for it and how he "has the balls" to pull off a deal like this, to which i say........................... WTF?? :confused: :rolleyes:

Looking at it another way, tho, it most definitelt a helluv deal all right !! For Philadelphia that is !! but there should be a law that prevents intelligent ppl from taking advantage of lesser minded ones like this !! :lol:

Philly would have tendered him at a first round price of ONLY $1.4 million. It doesnt take a HUGE tender for a RFA. OGUN is only getting 1.8 million tender and that is for a first and third if someone snags him. I don't know what the h@ll you are thinking. All that means if any team signs him, Philly can either match it or let him go and get OUR FIRST ROUND PICK THIS YEAR.
Without making this trade and signing Feeley to the EXACT SAME CONTRACT THAT WE DID, PHILLY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN OUR FIRST ROUND PICK THIS YEAR, not NEXT years second. That is why we made the trade. Would you have wanted to lose this year's first?????? You are TOTALLY 100% WRONG in your thinking.

I'm not trying to rip your post, but you need to understand what a RFA is before making such comments about the trade we made. I believe you're confusing RFA with Franchise player. These are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT tags. Franchising a player requires matching of top 5 salaries at that position. RFA is a flat tender for any player not yet in the league 4 years that you hold the rights to and whose contract is up. I hope this helps you understand the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Re: Wants vs Needs : Why Not Feeley???

Originally posted by unclemonty

Philly would have tendered him at a first round price of ONLY $1.4 million. It doesnt take a HUGE tender for a RFA. OGUN is only getting 1.8 million tender and that is for a first and third if someone snags him. I don't know what the h@ll you are thinking. All that means if any team signs him, Philly can either match it or let him go and get OUR FIRST ROUND PICK THIS YEAR.
Without making this trade and signing Feeley to the EXACT SAME CONTRACT THAT WE DID, PHILLY WOULD HAVE GOTTEN OUR FIRST ROUND PICK THIS YEAR, not NEXT years second. That is why we made the trade. Would you have wanted to lose this year's first?????? You are TOTALLY 100% WRONG in your thinking.

Well, if you read, you would see that what in the "hell" I am talking about. first of all, I said that I don't believe that Philly would tender him with a 1st rnd tender, NOT for a 3rd string backup. I don't care what was said in the papers as it is likely only to bait a "fish" (no pun intended) like the Dolphins and they bit, hook line and sinker. But what I was getting at is that since "I believe" that they would only tender him for the right of first refusal, then they could trump any low ball offers and retain him. Now, stay with me,again, if he was only tendered the RoFR, and we signed him to a 5yr/18mil offer, Phil would not match and spend that much for a 3rd stringer riding the pine, let alone for the 1.4 tender you mentioned. in doing so, we still have Feeley for the same deal and SAVING our pick next year. Still with me, understand yet? but you missed the whole point by missing which tender I was speaking of. My thinking very well may be 100% wrong but then again, I'm sure the reason you think so is simply because you don't agree with it. But in any case, we'll never know just how any other deal/s would have worked out anyway so i get it's pretty much moot now anyway.
Have a nice day!! :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom