Warner to be released... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Warner to be released...

Fins2theend said:
You also dont know how he would perform with Ricky, Boston, Chambers, and McMichael.

I like our guys as much as I possibly can, but this guy had Faulk, Bruce, and Holt the past couple of years. The problem wasn't skill position talent -- it was at OL.

I think if this guy will sign for the vet minimum then sign him and cut Feidler.

If the coaches and FO are sold that our line is better than the one he had over the past couple of years in St. Louis, that's fine by me. I like Fiedler and think he has taken a lot of unnecessary crap from fans here and elsewhere, but that would present the team with an upgrade and a savings. If the line isn't known to be solid, I oppose this. Jay is the one guy on the team we know can handle a crappy line and still get wins. We know Warner has trouble with that. If we're talking about getting rid of Sage in that case instead of Jay, I would okay it.

I really just don't know that it will happen, though. Warner isn't going to get handed a starting job by anybody, but he is going to get signals as to his chances. In Miami, he has to be told that he will be going against AJ and maybe Jay if the guy to be released is Sage. In Oakland, he is going to be told that his competition is an old guy who doesn't know the system and doesn't really have the skills to implement it and a young guy who doesn't know the system. That would seem to me to be a pretty strong indication that if Warner is decent, he'd end up with the job just because he knows how Norv's system works. Which situation would you choose?

With Sage being re-signed for a year, we can pretty much put this one to bed. Thankfully.

DrAstroZoom said:
With Sage being re-signed for a year, we can pretty much put this one to bed. Thankfully.

I don't think that we can put it to bed at all. If Warner draws enough interest that he isn't looking at a minimum sort of deal to be the backup/compete for a job, then we're not interested. I just don't think that is going to happen, though. This team has to evaluate picking up Warner if it's a matter of giving him maybe a little more than the minimum and allowing him into the QB mix. The FO wouldn't be doing its job otherwise.

Jimmy James said:
I don't think that we can put it to bed at all. If Warner draws enough interest that he isn't looking at a minimum sort of deal to be the backup/compete for a job, then we're not interested. I just don't think that is going to happen, though. This team has to evaluate picking up Warner if it's a matter of giving him maybe a little more than the minimum and allowing him into the QB mix. The FO wouldn't be doing its job otherwise.

Well, Warner's already drawing interest, so I think you can forget about picking him up for "a little more than the minimum."

I am a bit wary of that because it seems to be coming from Warner's agent. I know Sportscenter suggested last night that it appeared unlikely that anybody wanted to touch him as a starter and that there were maybe 6-10 teams that might look at him as a backup. This says to me that the situation is still very fluid and that the FO has to be involved until it is established that he won't be looking for what we would want to offer.

I know ther is a way for vets to make more than the minimum but it will only count the minimum towards the cap does anyone know the qualifications for this and if Warner qualifies? I think the actuall salary is like 750,000 but only counts 450,000. Now I like that cap number alot more than the 4.3 million Feidler will hit us for.

Back
Top Bottom