Watch out for Seattle in the Ogun sweepstakes | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Watch out for Seattle in the Ogun sweepstakes

I say you tender him with a first and a third. I am also a big hockey fan and it will work like in hockey. In hockey to sign a RFA it coast a team five first round picks, but nobody does that they work out a trade with the team prior to signing. wich they can do in football also. And for everone that says he is good because of JT is totally wrong. You say well trace did, ya he also and 10 plus sacks seasons in chi also, owens had like 8 or ten in Wash. the year before he got hurt also. And if whe don't like what we get we keep he this year and worry about next offseason. AND WE STILL WON'T LOSE HIM FOR NOTHING THEY PUT THE FRAN. TAG ON HIM AND WORK OUT A DEAL IF THEY CANT AFFORD HIM

$2 million is not chump change even for a player of his caliber. First off, no he will not be getting a signing bonus in excess of $10 million. Thats Jason Taylor money. He ain't gettin Jason Taylor money. Even Rosenhaus who is notorious for starting off big, has only publicly said $8 million in signing bonus.

But I guarantee the first year of whatever contract Ogunleye signs, will have a cap figure somewhat comparable to $2 million if not less.

Gotta brush up on the cap man. Signing bonuses are prorated, and the first year of a new contract the salary is usually somewhere around the minimum. That means the cap figure for the first year will be the total signing bonus divided by years in the contract, plus a first year base salary that will probably be around 500k. Lets say Rosenhaus gets his way and gets a 7 year contract with an 8 million bonus, 500k salary first year. That would make his first year cap number $1.65 million

Like I said, $2 million ain't chump change. If the first year of a hefty @ss contract can be less than $2 million, than $2 million ain't chump change even for a guy of Ogunleye's caliber.

And I also severely doubt that the cap number of the #10 pick in the draft in his first year will be anything even close to $2 million. I'd be surprised if it breaks $1 million.

If the cap number for the first year of any offer sheet signed by O-Gun is nearly the same as the tender.........Miami will match it and the other team did the work for Miami. Doesn't makle sense. Another team needs to front load the contract a bit in order to make Miami make a call on matching. Say the first year cap charge is $3 or 4 million, then it forces Miami's hand. if the cap number is slightly more than the tender...why bother signing him

I don't buy the 1st and 3rd round restriction putting people off.

After all we paid 2 1st's for Ricky and generally the worth of a RB is less then that of a DE since fewer teams have running troubles when compared to their DE's.

Back
Top Bottom