We are not the Packers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We are not the Packers

Dammitt guys....Call me a homer or whatever...or maybe the dolphins have just beaten me down over the years and I'm hoping against all
hope....but to my eyes,RT is about the only thing we got going for us.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for opinions on RT to run the complete spectrum. I only know that what I see is potentially the one and only answer to the Dolphins QB position we've had since Dan Marino was actually healthy.

You're not a homer. When your team leads its division in points scored and has posted a winning record despite:

- Your QB having absolutely terrible pass protection
- A completely ineffective rushing game that, if not for one long run against a Falcons defense missing 5 starters, would be dead last in the NFL
- Your receivers being tied for the most drops in the NFL
- Your starting TE gone for the season

And your QB has still been able to put points on the board and lead your team to 3 victories, I don't think there's anything homerish about thinking that maybe, just maybe, he is maturing into a pretty good QB.

Ryan Tannehill is being asked to do a lot, and it is comical to me that folks are down on him for not being able to just pick the team up on his back and carry it all by himself. If Brian Hartline doesn't drop a pass on 3rd and 2, maybe we aren't having this conversation. If Mike Wallace doesn't fail to read coverage in the 2 minute drill, maybe we aren't having this conversation. If Charles Clay catches the goddamn football with the game on the line, maybe we aren't having this conversation. How many QBs in the NFL could make that 4th and 10 play across their bodies like that? 3 or 4?

EDIT: the receivers have the 3rd most drops in the NFL. They are not 'tied for the most drops.' My mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep seeing "converted WR", but the guy played QB in high school, was recruited to play QB in college and played WR so he could get on the field earlier. I think the fact he played WR for a time gives a unique perspective on how to work with that position and what to expect from them....

I keep seeing "converted WR", but the guy played QB in high school, was recruited to play QB in college and played WR so he could get on the field earlier. I think the fact he played WR for a time gives a unique perspective on how to work with that position and what to expect from them....

YES...This also give RT the unique right to,bi*ch slap Wallace,the next time he drops several passes.

Whatever...dcnr226...another one that thinks,with a line,Miller is the next A.P.

IMO they need to implement far more under-center snaps, and far more of the running game.

This I strongly agree with. When our offensive line is getting no push, and defensive lines are getting penetration, it serves no purpose to try to run the ball from shotgun.

Interestingly, though, Rodgers has been sacked 202 times in his five years as a starter, prior to this year, and led the league in sacks in 2009 and 2012, despite posting the highest QB rating of all time during that period.

Also, Rodgers's QB rating was nearly 94 in his first year as a starter, so he was indeed "Rodgers" from the beginning.

He was on the bench for 4 years, you can't compare his 1st year to RT's 2nd 3rd etc.

I just think we are in a process of becoming like GB.

you heard Sherman say if we run misdirections and rollouts you take half the field away. Well, I think they want RT to just eat the ball or escape when he can and make a play because that is exatly what Farve and Rogers did. But this kind of stuff takes time people. You have to remember, the kid has only played 21 games as a pro. Compare these 21 games to Peyton Manning. Let me know what you see.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for opinions on RT to run the complete spectrum. I only know that what I see is potentially the one and only answer to the Dolphins QB position we've had since Dan Marino was actually healthy.

You're not a homer. When your team leads its division in points scored and has posted a winning record despite:

- Your QB having absolutely terrible pass protection
- A completely ineffective rushing game that, if not for one long run against a Falcons defense missing 5 starters, would be dead last in the NFL
- Your receivers being tied for the most drops in the NFL
- Your starting TE gone for the season

And your QB has still been able to put points on the board and lead your team to 3 victories, I don't think there's anything homerish about thinking that maybe, just maybe, he is maturing into a pretty good QB.

Ryan Tannehill is being asked to do a lot, and it is comical to me that folks are down on him for not being able to just pick the team up on his back and carry it all by himself. If Brian Hartline doesn't drop a pass on 3rd and 2, maybe we aren't having this conversation. If Mike Wallace doesn't fail to read coverage in the 2 minute drill, maybe we aren't having this conversation. If Charles Clay catches the goddamn football with the game on the line, maybe we aren't having this conversation. How many QBs in the NFL could make that 4th and 10 play across their bodies like that? 3 or 4?

EDIT: the receivers have the 3rd most drops in the NFL. They are not 'tied for the most drops.' My mistake.

Well put! I was neutral about Tannehill last season, but now I'm seeing him in a different light. I see the potential to make this team relevant again. I see a handful of players who stepped up and won 3 games in spite of a lousy o-line and some poor playcalling.

What I don't see? I don't see Sherman doing anything to help his under-siege QB. With so many years of o-line coaching experience on the staff, I don't see anything resembling a functional o-line. I don't see other linemen given a chance to see what they can do. I don't see Philbin taking charge and demanding that something be done; he's satisfied with the status quo and allows Sherman to keep doing what he's doing.

Bottom line, IMO? I see a team with a young QB that has scratched and clawed its way to 3 wins and 20 some points per game. The problem is that they have the talent to be scoring 30 some points per game with 4 or 5 wins if only they had better coaching, playcalling, and someone who can put together an o-line that works. I can see Tannehill as a top QB if someone would put an o-line in front of him that would give him a little more time. Tannehill deserves better than this coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom