we dont need to draft a wr | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

we dont need to draft a wr

MiamiMan147 said:
Many of you guys are talking as if we'll continue to see last years offense in 2005. Not true. Linehan's offense is pass oriented and uses a lot of 3 WR sets. Adding a second gamebreaker to go along with CC (with Booker as the possession WR) makes a whole lot of sense. Braylon Edwards is a huge upgrade over Derrius Thompson. Quite a few scouts consider Edwards to be the best player in the draft, while the RB class is deep and a solid starter can be picked up in rds 2-3.

Excellent post. I agree.

unless you have R. Moss or T. Owens, you need 2 good WRs in the NFL.

chambers and edwards (or williams) would be a GREAT combo.

also, drafting a RB is not the only way to get a RB.....

ch19079 said:

this is a guy that know... buffalo had two, who complimented each other in Moulds and Price.

Chambers needs a compliment... Booker is not it, Mike Williams would be perfect.

finsnchips said:
this is a guy that know... buffalo had two, who complimented each other in Moulds and Price.

Chambers needs a compliment... Booker is not it, Mike Williams would be perfect.
Why? How does he compliment Chambers? Not being a smart @***, simply want to know your opinion on it.

so who's this "stud" rb thats gona come in and start that we are gona draft in the third round?

finsnchips said:

... at first i thaught you were gunna make fun of my team... then you didnt, i dont think... i dont get.. it ... im..... confused..... DAMN YOU!!!

okok, i get it.

it doenst have to be a great WR. it just ahs to be a WR who can beat single coverage on a regular basis.
the #1 WR has to be able to beat double teams (CB and S) on a regular basis.
this double team will usually leave the #2 WR in man coverage. if he can consistantly beat man coverage, your passing game will be very good.
price is not a #1 WR, the falcons know that now. but hes a GREAT #2, and can beat man coverage.

Saban has made VERY CLEAR that he will not draft based on NEED. He wants the player that will have the most value to the franchise long-term!! Will one of the QBs turn out to be a probowler franchise QB?? If Saban doesnt believe so then he will turn to WR/RB...he wants a player that will have a great impact for a lonnng time. He can fill holes with FA...which is exactly what hes been doing...he can take care of depth with FA...he wants to bring in young guys in the draft that will be here for a long time and make an impact on the team...just think about this offense though, (Braylon Edwards, Chris Chambers, Marty Booker, Randy Mcmichael)...thats some damn talent! If Linehan is running 3WR sets and we have Randy as a 4th threat what are defenses going to do??? AND if we pick up a RB in the 2nd/3rd??? We will have one hell of an offense as long as Houck fixes our line!!!

Without Edwards/Williams though, what are we looking at? (Chambers, Booker, Thompson, Mcmichael)..? Chambers is our only real deep threat...Booker is a posession WR, a great one. Thompson will unfortunately always be an average WR..Mcmichael has the potential to be a probowl TE but HE AND Chambers cannot perform at their potential level until they stop being CONSTANTLY double teamed.

I don't necessarily always tend to believe that we should draft the best player available. I mean think about it... TEAM NEED is a MAJOR issue. Would the Colts draft David Carr or Carson Palmer if they already have Peyton Manning? Now when you're in our situation with the #2 pick... we have many options. QB is a team need. RB is a team need. O-line (no one is worth the #2 pick though). So in my opinion team need is important and we should go with QB or RB if we choose to keep the #2 pick. Drafting Braylon or Mike Williams would not be the worst thing, but it isn't the biggest hole we have to fill in my opinion.

I can't believe some think that we dont need another great wr. We have no depth at the position after chambers and booker (possession wr). Im not saying we should absolutely no doubt grab edwards. But it would really make our offense more threatening.
Rd 1 Edwards
Rd 2 RB (surtain trade)
Rd 3 QB
That doesn't sound bad at all.

Maybe even take a qb with rd 2 and trade #3 for travis henry. He has a bone to pickand we can get him for cheap? If you dont like him fine but he is a great back when healthy.

At first I hated the idea of drafting a WR, but as the draft closes in I'm begining to feel that we are either gonna draft A. Smith or B. Edwards --- I don't know why but it's just a gutt feeling :shakeno:

Brown or M. Williams are my bias picks but what can I do --- We're seemingly going in a different route!!!! If we do this I see us nabbing JJ Arrington with a 2nd or the dude from the Citadel in later rounds :confused:

ch19079 said:

Still trying to get a draft pick for Henry, eh?

..all we have to do is pose about "needing a WR" until the draft..trade down...resign Boston after the draft..then we have one of the best WR cores in football all of a sudden..and hopefully to young studs in the 1st round

ch19079 said:
... at first i thaught you were gunna make fun of my team... then you didnt, i dont think... i dont get.. it ... im..... confused..... DAMN YOU!!!

okok, i get it.

it doenst have to be a great WR. it just ahs to be a WR who can beat single coverage on a regular basis.
the #1 WR has to be able to beat double teams (CB and S) on a regular basis.
this double team will usually leave the #2 WR in man coverage. if he can consistantly beat man coverage, your passing game will be very good.
price is not a #1 WR, the falcons know that now. but hes a GREAT #2, and can beat man coverage.
lol, I weren't ripping you... and you'll probably get that kind of tandem back now with Moulds and Evans.

You sum it up perfectly.

dolfan4good said:
Why? How does he compliment Chambers? Not being a smart @***, simply want to know your opinion on it.
read what the Bills guy says.

Booker doesn't dominate. Mike Williams is that guy who can get inside the heads of CBs and Ss and draw the double team. That frees up CC to do his thing in single coverage which we all know he can.

Back
Top Bottom