We got a DB | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We got a DB

I hope we have a little bit more of a move in us. I don't want to give away a ton of draft capital but if you gave a 1 for Roquan Smith or a 2 for Bradley Chubb what would you get in the draft that could better that? Chris Grier is doing better but his drafting is still suspect.

I would mention we should trade MG for a corner but I got roasted by everyone last time I made a post about it a month ago. Now the same slugs think it’s a good idea now. 😂 go figure, this forum 😂

*PFF warning for those adverse to it*

FWIW….played a decent amount in 2019. Did not grade well —43.7. Played less in 2020 but graded out better when he was in — 59.6. Basically top end would be in adequate backup. But with our injuries, that’s necessary.

Trading Gesicki has to net you a third-round pick or higher... or you don't make the trade.

Because that is what he will net us in the comp formula.
Only if we don’t spend in the initial phase of free agency. If we spend, there is an offsetting formula. We have to be net talent losers to get a draft pick.

Trading Gesicki has to net you a third-round pick or higher... or you don't make the trade.

What's the formula? Gesicki + Hurdle Defender = 0

And he looks exactly like Blake Ferguson, so I assume his 4 games a year where he isn't invisible, is in fact Blake Ferguson playing TE.

Last edited:

Fever you are one of the few on this site that understands the cap and the long-term vision of how to manage a roster.

Only if we don’t spend in the initial phase of free agency. If we spend, there is an offsetting formula. We have to be net talent losers to get a draft pick.
You sign a player with the same expectations...

In other words... Gesicki leaves, signing a huge deal with a team who will use him as a slot TE... we see the contract and know we are due a 3rd round pick.
Then... when we think about signing a player, we KNOW that if we sign that FA, we lose the extra third.
It's a hidden cost, but SMART GMs understand the hidden costs... and make use if that.

So Gesicki's value is defined.

You sign a player with the same expectations...

In other words... Gesicki leaves, signing a huge deal with a team who will use him as a slot TE... we see the contract and know we are due a 3rd round pick.
Then... when we think about signing a player, we KNOW that if we sign that FA, we lose the extra third.
It's a hidden cost, but SMART GMs understand the hidden costs... and make use if that.

So Gesicki's value is defined.

Another thing you actually have to look at though is. we wont get his potential 3rd round comp pick until 2024. I don't see us big spenders since we have a lot to handle on our own team. Most people say that a 4th in current year is worth a 3rd in the following (with the trading of pick scenarios) .

I've been saying all along, if the team looks like a playoff team, I'm not trading him midseason unless its for a day one starter at another position. If we didn't look like a playoff caliber team then i wanted at least a 3rd rounder since that'd be what we get as comp. The trade chart would probably show that Denvers 4th rounder is probably equal to a random 3rd rounder in 2024.

So yeah if you're patient then hold out for the comp pick if you cant get a 3rd, but value chart would show a top of the order 4th in next year would be of same value.

Me personally, i think we are contenders and want Mike G on the team or a quality starter in return

Making a move for a Smith or a Chubb would be cap nightmare, and a baaaad rental.

Not just no... Hell no.
Why? Both would be young building blocks not rentals, a player over 30 with wear and tear I get but you don't trade for a Roquan Smith to get him for a yr. We can definitely cut some fat to accomodate one of these guys. So Hell Yes, bring them on. We won't have a Geisicki or Byron Jones next yr to name a couple of cap savings moves.

Back
Top Bottom