We Might Draft A Qb This Year? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We Might Draft A Qb This Year?

Well we're in the hot stove season, so disinformation is commonplace. But if we draft a QB in 2019, or if we try to win in 2019, I'm going to be extremely unhappy. If we don't tank this year, after all this build up, and we miss our window for a top QB wasting more years on reprocessed garbage, I'll be the first one to call for all of the decision maker's heads. We were in full tank mode and in 1st place in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, and then a backup QB and a fired coach went on a meaningless winning run at the end of the season costing us a decade of good football, all to get back to 6-10. I can't stomach more failsauce like that.
The only viable reason to tank is to get your QB, if you're able to get Murray in the draft, the tank talk is essentially over. Once you've picked your QB, its a race to win a SB on his rookie contract.

The only viable reason to tank is to get your QB, if you're able to get Murray in the draft, the tank talk is essentially over. Once you've picked your QB, its a race to win a SB on his rookie contract.

This is my thinking. Murray or tank. The 2020 class should be significantly better, but I don't think any of the QB's will be notably better than Murray, and I'm very high on Tua. Murray was arguably the greatest HS QB of the last 20+ years. In 2018, he put up a season as good as there has been. He had elite throwing talent, is smart, instinctive, and has the quickest feet I've ever seen in a QB. He'll also likely run in the low 4.4's (projected to run as fast as 4.38), which is just icing on the cake, but given how great he is in the essential areas, it's fair to be impressed by that kind of speed. There's no question that his physical attributes on the whole are a significant advantage (will put a ton of pressure on opposing D's), rather than the detriment that many are claiming.

If you want to knock Murray, I'd say your best angle is pointing to his limited experience. I think that's a fair question to raise.

This is my thinking. Murray or tank. The 2020 class should be significantly better, but I don't think any of the QB's will be notably better than Murray, and I'm very high on Tua. Murray was arguably the greatest HS QB of the last 20+ years. In 2018, he put up a season as good as there has been. He had elite throwing talent, is smart, instinctive, and has the quickest feet I've ever seen in a QB. He'll also likely run in the low 4.4's (projected to run as fast as 4.38), which is just icing on the cake, but given how great he is in the essential areas, it's fair to be impressed by that kind of speed. There's no question that his physical attributes on the whole are a significant advantage (will put a ton of pressure on opposing D's), rather than the detriment that many are claiming.

If you want to knock Murray, I'd say your best angle is pointing to his limited experience. I think that's a fair question to raise.
Good post and I agree he could be all we need.
What I've heard thought and this coming from some NFL people is that with him you'd have to install an offense for him (which is fine)and they said that having a back up for him would be very hard because he's so unique(of course if you need your back up your season is over anyway).

I don't even question that he's only started one year in college. The one thing that worries me is his commitment to football. Will he play a year or two and then decide he wants to play baseball instead? Other than that I'm good with him.

Under circumstances Fins are in would be irresponsible for new staff not to evaluate a presumed healthy Tannehill and just move on for the sake of moving on

The only knock I have on Murray is his lack of commitment. His appearance on Dan Patrick didn’t help at all. If we were close and had an older QB I’d pull the trigger. It wouldn’t surprise me that if he’s on the board at 32 the Patriots draft him.

For the 1 millionth time, you need to draft a QB EVERY damn year, even if it's a 7th round selection. Eventually you'll find a steal.

again, which NFL team makes a SERIOUS effort to get a QB every year? Not a 6th rounder. A SERIOUS effort. If Miami drafted a R6 QB, do you think fans would be thrilled and satisfied Miami was serious about an upgrade? And teams that get a day 3 QB certainly don't expect a starter THAT year. Those are developmental guys. If I'm drafting EVERY year and expecting to see what I really got, that's R3 or above.

Good post and I agree he could be all we need.
What I've heard thought and this coming from some NFL people is that with him you'd have to install an offense for him (which is fine)and they said that having a back up for him would be very hard because he's so unique(of course if you need your back up your season is over anyway).

I don't even question that he's only started one year in college. The one thing that worries me is his commitment to football. Will he play a year or two and then decide he wants to play baseball instead? Other than that I'm good with him.

Thanks Danny! I'm not worried about his commitment. You can love two sports, but the situation will dictate that whichever he chooses in the coming weeks will be his ultimate choice. If he chooses football, that multimillion-dollar contract with the A's goes up in flames, and he would only be able to return to baseball as a minor-league player, working for pennies on the dollar. Imo, it's an outlandish scenario. He may choose baseball, but if he does, it will be now - not years from now. If I had to bet, I'd say he picks football. Selfishly, regardless of where he ends up, I hope he does.

I think Murray will be just fine in a modern NFL offense. Most passes occur from the shotgun, with the exceptions being play-action passes, which naturally give the QB more room. If you look at any of the top offensive systems being run in 2018, I feel good about Murray's ability to operate them. Talk about needing to run a bunch of zone/read is silly to me. He'll use his legs when things break down, but his mind, arm, and feet make him great.

Under circumstances Fins are in would be irresponsible for new staff not to evaluate a presumed healthy Tannehill and just move on for the sake of moving on
It is not just his health - he lacks any killer instincts - to take a team through difficult game circumstances - he settles for FG far too often

Well we're in the hot stove season, so disinformation is commonplace. But if we draft a QB in 2019, or if we try to win in 2019, I'm going to be extremely unhappy. If we don't tank this year, after all this build up, and we miss our window for a top QB wasting more years on reprocessed garbage, I'll be the first one to call for all of the decision maker's heads. We were in full tank mode and in 1st place in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes, and then a backup QB and a fired coach went on a meaningless winning run at the end of the season costing us a decade of good football, all to get back to 6-10. I can't stomach more failsauce like that.
I tend to agree, but we always see surprises as well. Maybe a mid- round quarterback works out. There are enough examples to know it can happen.

The tank for Tua approach can go wrong in so many ways too.

It is not just his health - he lacks any killer instincts - to take a team through difficult game circumstances - he settles for FG far too often

I know old news but our playcalling/selection in redzone has not exactly been impressive
I get your point though but prefer our new coach & OC decide

That's all rock solid logic. My belief is that there are QB's better than Murray in the 2020 draft, and if we do this right, we stock the roster with good talent, if we reach for Murray immediately, he'll never have the supporting cast to get the best out of him, and we will have settled for a good QB rather than a great QB. I have no faith in any of the QB's in this draft, but I agree that Murray is the best of the bunch.

Question becomes - and I believe it’s relevant:
Are you willing to trade up for Kyler Murray and at what point in the draft does the tradeup possibility become viable?

I'm all for drafting a developmental prospect this year that fits our system. Even if he just carry's the clipboard his whole career, it is good for the new staff to have their own guy learning/developing and pushing everyone. Then, when you get your Franchise QB, you already have one of your guys on the team pushing him each day.

We have relied on rentals for too long. Our new regime needs to develop its own resource pool. And yes, bring in a new rookie each year. Either draft or UDFA. Keep the competition fresh and never stop looking for a gem. My QB Coach's main job would be developing as many QB resources as possible. He should be just as involved in draft prospecting QBs and the scouting department. You always need somebody waiting in the wings. And you always need to be churning over the QB depth chart. If nothing else, developing tradeable assets.

That's assuming he gets to play...and a million other variables...would we ever have heard of Brady if Bledsoe doesn't get hurt?
I get where you're coming from, but on THIS team he will likely get a shot at some point.

It's a worthy gamble either way. I'd continue drafting QBs yearly even after we find a franchise QB. You might draft a guy in the 5th round who flashes in camp/preseason and brings back a 2nd or 3rd in return.

Back
Top Bottom