We need Fiedler back next year | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need Fiedler back next year

Originally posted by jbond
Wasn't it Wanny who told Marino he'd have to compete for his starting spot, and it was no longer his god-given right to (one of the many reasons why Marino got 'pushed' out)? I wouldn't expect him to treat Jay/JF/FeeFee whatever any different (although he's "his boy"). The QB spot will always be open competition to DW, as every position is to him. Unfortunately, he never had the talent to replace JF w/someone better.

Excellent point. Some people here believe that Wanny has given Fiedler prefential treatment because he is 'Wanny's guy'. I think that is a total crock. Whether you are happy with his peformance or not, he has been the best QB on this team for the last 4 years.

If they bring in someone else to compete for the starting job, the job won't go to the player that the coaching staff believes will to a better job. And, OH MY GOD! that could actually end up being Fiedler.

Originally posted by Merman
I agree we need an upgrade at the QB position but you don't throw away what you have until you know the new QB will be able to do the job. Or if Fiedler doesn't take a pay cut.

Fiedler was unbearably erratic this year. Yet if he some how returns to his early 2002 form he may beat out the FA taken to be his replacement. Not what people want to hear.

Thats Jay. The team needs to know he is eratic and let him go. Just because he goes 22 for 35 in a few preseason games, or while fighting for a starting job, it means nothing. Next time he will throw 4-5 picks. Just know he cant be consistant and nothing is more vital in a QB.

jay is a solid, character guy who knows the system...my guess is, he'll restructure and (while competing for the starting job) end up as the #2 qb.

i would have no problems with jay coming in off the bench in case of injury or ineffectiveness.

I guess it will never end until Fiedler is cut.

The Fiedler loyalty is commendable but you got to let go eventually. 4 years and 1 post season win with a talented defense............

Jay will not start again and since he does not want a back up role with the Phins I don't see him restructuring.

Originally posted by T-Bone
...4 years and 1 post season win with a talented defense............

too bad he hasn't had a talented offense the last 4 years...

I don't think Jay is God. But until someone else shows up who is better, I'll criticize him but stand by him and the dolphins. I, and I think everyone is, would be willing to upgrade that position, or any position. The whole BG vs. JF thing i think kind of got a little blown out of proportion.

If we can upgrade JF should we?......yes
If we can upgrade Zach? yes...
If we can upgrade JT? yes....

I think we would all be willing to upgrade ANY position if there was someone better out there that we could get. Problem is, there isn't always someone better that we can.

Jay should stick around for at least a season for MANY reasons, even more so if he doesn't start. And he will (stick around that is, unless some other team is dumb enough to give him the starting job).....He's not ready to be unemployed or up and move for a backup spot somewhere else.

I've been a Fiedler support since day 1 but now recognize that although he has a great w/l record, in the big games he makes that one mistake that costs the team.

So, keep him as a backup, for a cheaper price.

The question now is, who starts?

I'm a Garcia fan but that's a pipe dream.

Does Brunell have anything left?

Originally posted by jbond

too bad he hasn't had a talented offense the last 4 years...

I don't think Jay is God. But until someone else shows up who is better, I'll criticize him but stand by him and the dolphins. I, and I think everyone is, would be willing to upgrade that position, or any position. The whole BG vs. JF thing i think kind of got a little blown out of proportion.

If we can upgrade JF should we?......yes
If we can upgrade Zach? yes...
If we can upgrade JT? yes....

I think we would all be willing to upgrade ANY position if there was someone better out there that we could get. Problem is, there isn't always someone better that we can.

Jay should stick around for at least a season for MANY reasons, even more so if he doesn't start. And he will (stick around that is, unless some other team is dumb enough to give him the starting job).....He's not ready to be unemployed or up and move for a backup spot somewhere else.

He has had Ricky & Chambers for the last two years, the o-line didn't break down until this year, Konrad has been here, Mcmichael. There is no way you can honestly say that Jay Fiedler should be a starting QB in the NFL, let alone for the Dolphins.
I will accept that he can start for the Arizona Cardinals, Chargers or another team that doesn't have aspirations for the playoffs.

And I am not saying that Fiedler is not a winner, quite the opposite, the guy has the will to win the inner fire that I wish that half the players on this club should have. It's not that he doesn't have the smarts either, when he talks he sounds like a brooklyn fighter but he is quite intelligent. But the only thing that Jay lacks and that is raw talent and I understand its great to root for the under dog but when it hurts the team, which it has especially this year than it's time to move on.

Jay is from LI and there was no one besides his family was rooting harder for him than I was, but he is very inconsistent and his throws are inaccurate. That hurts my favorite team so I have concluded that we need a change @ the QB position. (I actually figured that out a while ago)

The Griese / Fiedler debacle did go so much further than it ever should have you are right, but I think that should have taught us something as well. Jay must move on to another team because w/ another veteran, Sage and a rookie draft pick there is no room. And who wants the Jay vs ? to continue, I think we've seen enough with that distraction.

As every season comes to a close and we wait for another things will be said, speculated and quite frankly made up, but my only wishes this off season is repair the o-line and totally revamp the QB position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by tofishfan
As I understand it the Browns are going to stick with him, the Holcumb experiment is over!

mother$#@*^$!!! son of a $&*^$!! %^(^%#+@)$)%_&*+%+#@!!!:fire: :fire:

ok, i'm better now...i started to look forward couch in miami the day he was wrongfully benched due to injury.

ok, new plan...go after jeff garcia. if his asking price is too high, settle on brunell

I am sounding stupid saying this, IMO, our OL has practically done the same job protecting against the pass that it has done since DW took over in 2000.

Now don't jump off the keyboard, but, we all have seen this OL get pushed back and run through. So why does this year look worst by a mile than others when stats don't show it.

This is only the pass protection area that I am looking at and not the run blocking.

I have to admit that I am using only sacks, not QB pressures or hurries, or QB fumbles that causes TOs. So if anyone has them please let me know. Otherwise no big numbers show up to suggest a problem that is proven with stats.

We did not run as much as last year believe it or not. We had 530 attempts last year compare to 487 attempts this year.

In 2000 the OL allowed 28 sacks, compared to 30 sacks this season (2003).

00'= 28 sacks allowed on 420 pass attempts
01'= 27 sacks allowed on 453 pass attempts.
02'= 25 sacks allowed on 455 pass attempts.
03'= 30 sacks allowed on 450 pass attempts.

I do see the flood gates open on almost every offensive posession, so I would say that our starting QB (JF), has been the one that has made this OL look decent over the 3 years before... Maybe Mark Dixon was the pillar that held the line together?

With MD in the OL last year we could run block alot better, even with the oponents stacking the line on us. Remmember the long runs and 200 yds game Ricky had...

Makes me wonder what could have been, if we had MD healthy and as LT?

Just putting this out for those that think its worth something..

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Back
Top Bottom