We need to use our picks for Oline | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We need to use our picks for Oline

The typical "Mauler" isn't a scheme fit for McD's zone philosophy.

Do you want a different HC? If not, it doesn't make sense to draft that type of player.
I think we can get more physical and angry with players who have that mental fortitude. I don't think the zone philosophy requires passive, mild-mannered fellows but I get they need to be athletic, even a bit lighter in weight. By def a mauler is a fighter who batters the opponent. This is the type of mental makeup I desire (ofc my opinion means nothing). Don't read too much into your vs my def of a mauler I just want an angry line that dominates until the whistle blows to open up the run lanes and blocks downfield to open up lanes for our playmakers.

It really depends on how the board falls before we pick. I've seen mocks where Oline goes on a run in the teens and were sitting at 21 with no one left but JPJ and he has injury concerns but DeJean and Latu are on the board.

We need alot of positions bc we've made hardly any draft picks over the last 3 years, so if we get a great player at OL, WR, DL or DB we should all be happy.

The only thing that can ruin this draft is reaching for a bust at 21.

I wish but highly doubt grier would go OL/OL....at this point I'm just hoping we go OL with our top pick at least.
Agree. While I would have no problem if he selects offensive line with their first two picks. I have to believe he will go defensive lineman or edge rusher with one of those picks.

I’ll be surprised if it’s not Oline. Normally that’s a boring pick in rd1 but this year it’s clear we need to nail this OL pick. Also we need a day 1 starter I don’t really want a project like AJ has been. We can’t wait 3-4 for this player to pan out if we want to win the AFC East and more this year. Need a contributor! FINS 🆙

I think we can get more physical and angry with players who have that mental fortitude. I don't think the zone philosophy requires passive, mild-mannered fellows but I get they need to be athletic, even a bit lighter in weight. By def a mauler is a fighter who batters the opponent. This is the type of mental makeup I desire (ofc my opinion means nothing). Don't read too much into your vs my def of a mauler I just want an angry line that dominates until the whistle blows to open up the run lanes and blocks downfield to open up lanes for our playmakers.

Agree. There are two perspectives of "mauler." There's the attitude and there's the physical prototype. I think everyone wants the attitude, but the mauler prototype isn't fast and quick.

An important question to have an accurate answer for is what can be taken when. If the draft is deep at IOL, maybe use round 2 for that. If deeper at Edge maybe that is round 2. All tempered with which individual player free falls and is available.

I’ll be surprised if it’s not Oline. Normally that’s a boring pick in rd1 but this year it’s clear we need to nail this OL pick. Also we need a day 1 starter I don’t really want a project like AJ has been. We can’t wait 3-4 for this player to pan out if we want to win the AFC East and more this year. Need a contributor! FINS 🆙
I agree. A real problem with projects is that you lose 2-3 years of the rookie contract with their development.

then imo you should be rooting for Jared Verse to be a dolphin, if Oline is off the board

then imo you should be rooting for Jared Verse to be a dolphin, if Oline is off the board
I wouldn't bitch about taking Verse although I think he'll be gone by 21 and prefer an oline player. Verse could be a stud and could fill in nicely until our bookends come back not to mention the potential to give JA nightmares.

The offense is better than the Defense. Make sure that is secure and go from there.

Solve the Oline and we solve a lot of problems.

The typical "Mauler" isn't a scheme fit for McD's zone philosophy.
It seems as if I'm the only one who has noticed that Miami's o-line issues all started when Philbin brought his fancy, finesse, zone blocking schemes to Miami. Sparano's o-line did fine against the tough, physical d-lines of the Bills and Jets. However, Philbin's lines, with a bunch of the same guys, and several 1st round picks, were pushed around and consistently dominated by those tough d-lines. And, they gave up a lot of sacks, although some of those were Tannehill's fault.

After Philbin, Gase had pretty much the same guys for a while, and they were still somewhat bad against tough d-lines. The difference was that Gase's lines were a little better at pass-blocking than Philbin's lines, but they sucked at run blocking, especially in 3rd or 4th and short situations. And, Gase's o-lines consistently allowed defenders to make tackles in the backfield for a loss.

After Gase, Flores pretty much focused on defense and ignored the offense and o-line. During this time, Grier then drafted a QB with a major injury in 2020, and then built the worst o-line in the league to protect him in 2021. After Flores came McDaniel, who like Philbin, wanted complicated, fancy, finesse zone blocking schemes, and the issues with the o-line being pushed around and dominated by tough, physical d-lines has continued.

Personally I don't care if the rest of the league is running zone blocking; it just doesn't seem to work in Miami. I say go back to big, nasty, old-school maulers, and let the o-line do the dominating instead of getting dominated!

As I always say, it's not sexy until the season starts and you see olinemen blowing up defenders. Overpowering the def front late in games or tight games is sexy and I can only imagine this O with maulers up front.
you're preaching to the choir

Yeah, me too. Grier surprises me when he makes comments like the fans are more concerned about the OL than they are. I can only hope Barry knows what the hell he is looking at when it comes to evaluating OL. I would guess we will draft one at some point, but it wouldn't shock me if it wasn't in round 1 or 2. Depending on our draft, I am not sure if I would be happy about that.
if we don’t go OL in the first two rounds then might as well not draft OL at all.......you're not getting anything better than what we have in the late rounds

It seems as if I'm the only one who has noticed that Miami's o-line issues all started when Philbin brought his fancy, finesse, zone blocking schemes to Miami. Sparano's o-line did fine against the tough, physical d-lines of the Bills and Jets. However, Philbin's lines, with a bunch of the same guys, and several 1st round picks, were pushed around and consistently dominated by those tough d-lines. And, they gave up a lot of sacks, although some of those were Tannehill's fault.

After Philbin, Gase had pretty much the same guys for a while, and they were still somewhat bad against tough d-lines. The difference was that Gase's lines were a little better at pass-blocking than Philbin's lines, but they sucked at run blocking, especially in 3rd or 4th and short situations. And, Gase's o-lines consistently allowed defenders to make tackles in the backfield for a loss.

After Gase, Flores pretty much focused on defense and ignored the offense and o-line. During this time, Grier then drafted a QB with a major injury in 2020, and then built the worst o-line in the league to protect him in 2021. After Flores came McDaniel, who like Philbin, wanted complicated, fancy, finesse zone blocking schemes, and the issues with the o-line being pushed around and dominated by tough, physical d-lines has continued.

Personally I don't care if the rest of the league is running zone blocking; it just doesn't seem to work in Miami. I say go back to big, nasty, old-school maulers, and let the o-line do the dominating instead of getting dominated!
Worked pretty damn well last year until injuries decimated us. Mostert and Achane were tearing it up behind that line/scheme when the starters were all playing.

I'll hear you out, though.

Who do you want to bring in as HC?

St. Brown just got 30 Mil a year for 4 years. We need WR because we wont be able to keep Hill and Waddle. Waddle is going to command 35 Mil a year.

Back
Top Bottom