We should certainly look into this in the offseason to fix our LT spot. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We should certainly look into this in the offseason to fix our LT spot.

I think Sam and Pat will restructure anyway to help the team. Sam is playing lights out this year BTW.

Everything starts up front. Havent we learned that? WHy does everyone think our receivers are horrible? CC is a superstar in the making, McKnight is serviceable, Thompson would be a decent 3, Tolver and Simmons may develop as well with experience. Besides our #2 receiving threat is Randy not our #2 receiver, he is one of the best TE's in the game and is proving it. Plus Konrad and Williams/Minor out of the backfield are also weapons.

We need to get a solid above average line, not a bunch of misfits that we have now. I think alot would agree that the way our o-line has played, it has contributed greatly to our offensive woes and if improved would result in better offensive production. DRAFT SOME TALENTED O-LINEMAN WITH THE FIRST 2 PICKS.

Oh and we MUST keep Wale, he is a stud and is only getting better. Why do you want to risk going after another player with no guarentees that person can even produce half of what Wale does.

I want to trade Walle because you've got to give to get. Lots of players would put up the numbers he does with Taylor on the other side of the ball and the DT drawing double teams as well. Bowens and Williams would be just fine as duo and Grigsby seems to have some talent as well. I'd be willing to let him go because our team can't afford to keep pumpin all its money into the defense and ignoring the O-line.

Walter Jones is the third best LT in the game and would this line instantly good. Smith to RT or LG and we'd be in business. All we would need is one new lineman that way with Nails,Yates, and Whitley to compete at RG.

We'd still have a first round pick to get a great WR to team with Chambers or draft a stud type RT. What a team we'd have if we kept Griese and built a great O-line with good WR's to go with it.

The defense is fine, you don't need Pro Bolwers at every position to win. (Patriots?)

Get a coach and an O-line and this team would be a dynasty

Originally posted by Oboy
I will probably get some resistance on this one, but I think we need to redo Madison's contract. We pay him too much and he just has not made that many big plays the last two years. If he does not want to restructure, why not trade him and pick up a rookie to play nickel behind tbuck and surtain. Then we should have the $ for Ogun!?

thats what i have been saying for a long time.

Originally posted by rickeyrunsover
Oh and we MUST keep Wale, he is a stud and is only getting better. Why do you want to risk going after another player with no guarentees that person can even produce half of what Wale does.

yeah, i say trade zach or madison and get a number one for 2 total and sign ogun. hes young and a stud.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Heck no. Our line does need big upgrades though. I figure we will be looking at 2 FA signings for the line and probably 2 of our draft picks minimum.

Yeah that's what i figured. i'm not sure what your cap situation is like. but at least you could sign a solid starter. then maybe 1 big guy. You could use your 1st round pick on another OL. But i wouldn't overpay one of your current players if he isn't getting the job done now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Saint Greg

Yeah that's what i figured. i'm not sure what your cap situation is like. but at least you could sign a solid starter. then maybe 1 big guy. You could use your 1st round pick on another OL. But i wouldn't overpay one of your current players if he isn't getting the job done now.

Yup. Todd Wade is merely avg. Solid run blocker but shallow against the pass. Serviceable guards usually don't cost too much money due to the philosophy that almost anyone can be plugged in there. So if we sign a couple Todd Perry sized contracts which should be manageable on our cap we should be ok. The question comes as to what to do at tackle. Despite the hysteria here Wade Smith has done solid at LT until he faced Freeney. So maybe him being the replacement at RT for Wade might be a good move. That would leave McKinney to take over for Ruddy at center (and hopefully he will have the expirience to finally) and would leave the big hole at LT again where we could either sign a journeyman for the time being or spend that first pick on a LT (although I'd prefer to spend it on a WR to partner with Chambers and move Thompson down to the 3rd WR).

This whole line mess shouldn't be a surprise. People have been saying for 2 years now that if we didn't start drafting some quality guys our line would be a mess. And it is.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Asking smith to be a good LT as a rookie 3rd round pick, is asking too much. Roaf and Turley didn't even do that for us, and they were top 10 picks. Roaf started out at RT before moving to LT. Turley started at Guard, then moved to RT and later moved to LT.

If nothing else, smith is gaining valuable experience that will make him better next year. The ideal situation would be for you to sign a top LT in the offseason, move smith to RT which will make things easier on him....and draft a guard that could start right away and perform at a high level.

The O-line was and HAS been the Dolphins most glaring weekness since JJ's second season as h-c ! Counting on M Dixon was a mistake but it's not like the f-o didn't try to at least upgrade the offensive line ...

No matter what happens with the rest of the season, this team needs to address the O-line through the draft and / or through free agency ! This has to be a priority imo ......

:mad:

Marino1983

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Yup. Todd Wade is merely avg. Solid run blocker but shallow against the pass. Serviceable guards usually don't cost too much money due to the philosophy that almost anyone can be plugged in there. So if we sign a couple Todd Perry sized contracts which should be manageable on our cap we should be ok. The question comes as to what to do at tackle. Despite the hysteria here Wade Smith has done solid at LT until he faced Freeney. So maybe him being the replacement at RT for Wade might be a good move. That would leave McKinney to take over for Ruddy at center (and hopefully he will have the expirience to finally) and would leave the big hole at LT again where we could either sign a journeyman for the time being or spend that first pick on a LT (although I'd prefer to spend it on a WR to partner with Chambers and move Thompson down to the 3rd WR).

This whole line mess shouldn't be a surprise. People have been saying for 2 years now that if we didn't start drafting some quality guys our line would be a mess. And it is.

It doesn't make sense moving Wade Smioth to RT since he has quick feet you look for at LT.Wade Smith already got thrown into the fire so might as well stick with him and develop him at LT.He just need to add some lower and upper strength which really what he lacks since he gets beat when they overpower him.Just think at the bright spot that Buffalo use their first round pick on Mike Williams thinking he will the LT of the future and he doesn't have quick feet you look for at LT.The guy hasn't turn into anything special at RT either and is turning out to be a very average player.

I believe the best value for Right Tackles are in the 2nd-3rd round where you find the guys who drop in the draft because they are not quick enough to play LT.I think the Dolphins could find a starting RT using their third pick if they do their hw.

IMHO we should draft a WR in the first rd or maybe even a QB, Phillip Rivers may be a mid-late first rder. As we are aware there is suppose to be a plethera of good talent at WR. Smith should start at LT, Mckinney at center, sign a guard, look at Whitley and Yates, Jerman for next year at guard. Let Todd Wade test the market, sign him back after he see's he's not that hot a prospect (see Marion last year), if some team is departe enoughto give him big $$$ good riddance. Keep O-gun too. Put the 1st and #rd tender on him. If he get's Taylor money I guess you have to let him walk for the picks. He's a great player now but I wonder if JT has more to do with it than some think.
Oh and trade for Daryl Gardner back.
;) :jk:

We all want O-line. I'm just shocked noone wants an unbelieveable Pro Bowl LT on this team.

Look at the Super Bowl winners recently. The only team w/o a great LT was the Pats. And we all can agree that the Pas defy all logic on their winning.

I did not know that Roman Oben was a great LT.:lol:

I would be satisfied with John Tait at RT.

Well Oben to me is a good LT. This team needs a good LT. Period.

If you've read my posts I think Smith will be eventually, but that eventually will be when we're rebuilding.

Back
Top Bottom