We should move on from Wake while were slashing prices

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by terphin, Mar 13, 2018.

1. terphin

terphin A True Fan

not sure what the cap hit would be but Ive seen enough of him, he's been a great player for us but the dude is old and unproductive in big spots too often. Pats would've traded or cut him 2-3 years ago. We need to get younger

2. Duriel

Duriel Starter

3. Finuk

Finuk FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Double digit sacks last year, the dude should decide when he's ready to go.

MiamiDolfan85, WCUPUNK and royalshank like this.
  4. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If they are purging the roster and setting up space then I have no issue with trading Wake as they would save about $5m this year. However, to say he is old and unproductive is just hogwash. The guy even at 36 is still one of the best pass rushers in the NFL.

royalshank and MelbournePhin like this.
  5. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Wake has been such a great guy on and off the field. I’m letting him go out on his own terms but I would approach Wake and confirm he even wants to be here. If he wants to finish with a contender, trade or release him.

6. terphin

terphin A True Fan

Wake and the whole line was disappointing this year,he's been great but he can't be a part of the future. Sorry but he is not still one of the best pass rushers

7. canesfins13

canesfins13 FinHeaven VIP

His cap number is too high for a part time pass rusher - I think in excess of $9 million. Move on and spend it elsewhere - like the OL. This is why we went and got Quinn

8. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

More like a tad bit over $8 million

Sean likes this.
  9. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

I have defended Wake being here over and over again, but the way this off season is unfolding I won't be surprised. Wake is coming of a 10.5 sack season and is not an expensive player, what's the point of cutting him unless you are purging contracts to accumulate money. I think we can all agree this is not some retooling effort here, the Phins are rebuilding this team from the ground up, what the hell do we expect next year? New coach new culture.

miamiron likes this.
  10. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Every single year there is someone who wants to get rid of one of the best All time phins. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Only way I get “rid” of him is, with his approval, if a contender offers a 2nd or 1st round pick and that would mostly be to do him a solid for being the pro that he is. Guy deserves a ring.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    gunn34 and royalshank like this.
  11. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

The NFL is a business and not a feel good, caring one at that.

No one (with the possible exception of Mr. Bundchen) has the power to "go out on his own terms" or dictate same to the team or make demands on how/when it should be. They are employees and cogs in the machine....if they get worn out, too expensive to maintain or underperform they are tossed out and replaced.

And a 1st or 2nd for him?? LOL

12. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Fine, but Wake has been more than productive and will likely have a couple more double digit sack seasons making ur argument ineffective.

13. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

Wake's cap number is 8.6 Mill. If released our dead money would be 500k, cap savings would be 8.1 Mill. You don't release a player with 10.5 sacks who is in his last year. You renegotiate to lower his cap number and at his age make sure he retires as a Dolphin.

gunn34, miamiron and foozool13 like this.
  14. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Wake has been a class act -- and still productive. I don't think its good football karma to dump someone like that.

MiamiDolfan85 and foozool13 like this.
  15. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

No, my argument is undeniably factual although you may find it hard to accept....My point was simply no player is kept on board due to past performance out of loyalty or appreciation if they underperform or become a drag. BTW, I love Wake and hope he stays & retires a Dolphin....perhaps he'll restructure but at some point soon push is gonna come to shove.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    terphin likes this.
  16. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

wake is exactly the kind of player you want on your football team.

foozool13 likes this.
  17. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If there is another DE pick high in this draft, Wake might be traded post-draft. I could also see a scenario where Wake is traded to a team in the playoff race if the Dolphins aren’t in the race themselves.

foozool13 likes this.
  18. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

While I hope that happens you're still looking at it thru a fan's eyes or "fan-speak". The FO of any team doesn't care or isn't concerned with keeping a player to make sure they retire as one of the team....that's just plainly ridiculous. I agree they should try to renegotiate and keep him because he's still a factor on the field. What if someone offered a 3rd or 4th for him - would you turn it down just to keep him here out of loyalty?? If so, you're thinking with your heart (fan) and not your head (FO/business).

19. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Wrong. Robert Kraft risked losing Belichick and gave away a very talented Jimmy Garapolo to please Tommy Boy and ensure Brady retires a Patriot. It happens and while it’s not the norm it’s good business.

20. Phinsguy

Phinsguy A True Fan

No.....not wrong.

Did you not see my post above.....I said with the possible exception of Brady (Mr. Bundchen)...I acknowledged that he would probably be the only one so entitled.

So, you mention ONE PLAYER (who I've already mentioned) who might get the advantage of dictating his terms but discount that I'm undeniably correct about the other 99.9% of the league....good argument - FAIL.

21. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

He produces and is not over paid, I mean I'm just a lowly chicken farmer but isnt it important to have veteran players?

22. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

i agree. I think he still has it, but it looks like we're in complete tear down mode

23. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

Thank you. This x infinity.

24. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

25. Michael Scott

Michael Scott FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

We are not a contender. Not even a wild card contender. I don't care about the past. He's 36 years old and makes a heavy amount of money. He should have been let go yesterday.

Let him get an opportunity to go play with a winner. We get the cap space. Win/win.

terphin likes this.
  26. Jimi

Jimi The World Is Yours

I say cut him. Anything that will increase the likelihood of a fan boycott is a good idea.

27. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

Idk what this teams vision is anymore...

28. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

That has nothing to do with a fan heart. He is a player you want on your team. He still performs. He is a team player. His cap space can be moved to the next 2 or 3 years when our cap situation is better. On the other hand if there is a team who is willing to give us value we trade him.
    Past performance, future expectations and salary has to be in sync and present a certain value. In case of Suh he never performed up to his salary. There is not one stat where you can say "oh wow, he is worth it." He took plays off, he freelanced, he was undisciplined by taking penalties in the most inopportune times.
    In case of Landry his stats are a result of us lacking in other areas not because we were so great or he was so great. Dolphins decided to go a different route and not to rely on a slot receiver and he became expandable. Though offering him 13 Mill is more than appreciating him. He wants to argue over 2 Mill all I can say is "good bye".

The only people who are emotional about players were those who wanted to pay Landry 16 Mill because he is so emotional. Landry and Suh are good players and will help their future teams but neither is great and expandable and certainly did not represent any value for us.

29. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

I understand the business aspect of this kind of move and would understand if we did it. I would prefer we do ONE right thing this year and let him retire a Dolphin on HIS terms.