We Still Need Another WR..... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We Still Need Another WR.....

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Sigh...I know I'm going to get gang tackled by the JayBots for saying this...but I still don't see the big deal about having a speed reciever with Jay throwing the ball. Jays stats tell the story here. He does GREAT with short passes and screens, but when he tries to stretch the field he gets almost exactly as many Interceptions as Receptions. There just isn't enough speed in his throw to keep the DB from reacting on the ball and making it a toss up as to who gets the reception. This isn't a knock on Jay since I feel he's more than capable when he plays the game suited to his skills. It's just a statement that unless we had a reciever who could get MONSTER separation, I think Thompson is going to be much more valuable than any burner.
\\

phinphan1227, I enjoy your posts and think you know your stuff when it comes to the Fins so please take this with the respect I mean....I know it sounds stupid but please try not divide the board by using the term "Jaybots" to descibe other members....we have already discussed this in reference to "Fiedler Huggers" and "Fiedler Haters" and we decided that they were not only devisive terms but slightly deroggatory also....I think "Jaybots" falls into the same category.....So please, try to understand where I am coming from here I don't want you to get offended ...thanks.

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
...but I still don't see the big deal about having a speed reciever with Jay throwing the ball.

Speed can also be used for running across the field from the slot on a crossing pattern or for making big plays by getting extra yards after the catch. It's not just for running fly patterns.

I keep hearing about the Phins biggest need being a LT. It is true that the Phins O-Line has holes. The fact that M. Dixon is a Guard playing Tackle does not settle well with him or the Phins. But did a LT keep the Phins out of the Playoffs? I think the Phins need to address a LT & LG/RG in this years and next years draft.

The Phins are talking about trading up for Foster. Yeah I think the guy is going to be like a brickwall. But even if they land him and move Dixon back to Guard. The drop off of talent from the #5 WR to the #6 is HUGE. You go from drafting a guy that might need some time to become a solid starter. To having a guy that will take a couple of seasons to become a solid starter.

LT or WR with the 1st pick:
O-Line: Foster ~ Will give the Phins two SOLID TACKLES. They still need to resign Wade befoe the season is up. They still need need to worry about Dixon & Nails...injury & age. Ricky is the offense so they do need to make sure that he has the right Line in front of him. Although they did a great job last year as a patch up Line. Now the Phins must wait until the later rounds to pick a WR.

WR ~ Bryant Johnson or Kelly Washington ~ If they are going to trade up it should be for one of these guys. Sure the O-Line has holes if someone was to get injured. But the Phins do not have a true #2 WR. Thompson might make a SOLID #3 guy for the Phins. McKnight should be traded or cut. C.C. would be able to put up big numbers in big games if he had a worthy #2 guy out there. The Phins could draft a LT in the 3rd that would have more talent than a WR in the 3rd. Robert Baker is doing good overseas. But I think it is to much to ask for a player to battle over there and then come back and play a full season over here.

I hope the Phins go with something like this:
1st) Bryant Johnson or Kelly Washington *Traded up (WR)
2nd) Traded to move up
3rd) Todd Williams (LT/RT)
4th) Terrence Holt *Traded up (SS/FS)
5th) Terrence Edwards (WR)
6th) Charles Drake (SS/FS)
7th) Anthony Davis (LG)

WR ~ Drafting 2 guys will give the Phins some future talent and allow them to get rid of McKnight. They need WR's with the Running game they have Jay should have a solid #2 guy to go to on playaction passes.

SS ~ Brock Marion is SOLID in my book. I have been happy with his play since he came on. But the fact that his age vs. his cap may come in to play next season scares the hell out of me. Autro Freeman is not ready to start at least for the Phins stryle of D. If Brock was to go down this season who would step up....Trent Gamble I think not. So with the draft being so deep at the position they should go ahead at start grooming someone for Brock and find a starter at SS.

LT ~ JUNE 1st or Mark Dixon....You guys should know how I feel about this matter. There will be talent to get before the season starts.

LG ~ Mark Dixon and Nails have had there share of injuries enough said.

I think other than the WR,SS,LT positions the Phins are fine with the starters they have. And in some cases even with the backups.

What do you guys think???

No biggie. I had 1.9% without working out or dieting even all the way up till the age of 21. Now I've got more. But still I'm under 10%. I'm sure I could get way down there again if I tried.

I think we will wait to see how guys like Tolver, Bellamy and others perform when the pads go on. If they still look too raw, we can add a vet like Crowell or if Freeman is still around..

This is the first thread that actually talks about the real need of the team. Everyone is patting Wanspeil on the back because they have added depth to an already great defense. But, we have not solved anything on the other side of the ball where we have one of the worst passing games in the league.

Lets hope that somehting falls to us, or best hope, Griese comes in and gives us real talent at the QB position.

This thread is almost two weeks old, where you been fin-atic? :lol:

I think we addressed the gaping hole behind the starting OL rather effectively, adding depth/eventual starters, as well as chase Wayne Gandy. I also feel we replaced Oronde Gadsden and addressed the losses at TE effectively. Adding a solid KR also qualifies as "offense" IMB because his success directly affects the offense. If Griese comes in, great. I hope he bolsters the position.

But to say we haven't done anything on that side of the ball is negligent.

Also, don't try and downgrade what we did on defense. It's like you're saying that the D was fine and didn't need improvement. I don't consider Junior Seau "depth". Sammy Knight won't be "depth" if we can grab him. Those two are PRO BOWL STARTERS. Terrell Buckley is depth, but he'll play about 60% of the time. Zgonina is also depth, but has started his entire career.

And all of the names I mentioned are solid, fiery leadership guys that this defense sorely lacked the past few seasons. Certainly that counts for something.

We do not have any money for that, we only have money for Knight, Griese and rookies. That is all we have room for.

Originally posted by fin-atic
This is the first thread that actually talks about the real need of the team. Everyone is patting Wanspeil on the back because they have added depth to an already great defense. But, we have not solved anything on the other side of the ball where we have one of the worst passing games in the league.

Lets hope that somehting falls to us, or best hope, Griese comes in and gives us real talent at the QB position.

What??

The D has been upgraded..with starters and depth..plus the mentality that we've been missing..the OL is the same which produced over 2500 yards of rushing..plus now we've added depth..We have new receivers..IE...Thompson, JR Tolver, with depth Baker, Newson, Rogers..and who ever else they may add.
We're deep at RB and FB..Jay is the best fit for this O..not Griese..
We at great Starters last year, both no depth..I'm tire of this we need a another speed WR to go with Chambers...I guess OG was a great speed receiver..I quess Oaklands starting WR's are the fastest in the NFL..Mumm. didn't they go to the superbowl last year....Please this team has made changes..I'm sorry they're not the big name high cost that we can't afford players you guys want..I think Shula tried that, Washington Redskins tried that..It's no a quanteed formula..Role players are gurantee to help a team..We need good qualitee role players as backups and will eventually start, because they're good quality..that's what we needed and I think Wanny got it..now I hope some you get it.

I'm concerned about the wr corp as well. Obviously no one can say any of our wr's are proven wr's. Not one of our wr's has ever made it over the 1k yard mark. There is however plenty of potential in our wr corp. Drafting a wr in the 2nd round would not have given us a proven wr either, it would have just given us even more potential. Hopefully Thompson and Chambers step it up this year and are consistent through out the season.

Back
Top Bottom