Weaver signed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Weaver signed

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

Curtis Weaver DE, Miami Dolphins

Dolphins signed fifth-round DE Curtis Weaver to a four-year contract.

Weaver's production as a three-year starter at Boise State was inflated due to the below-average blocking he faced in the Mountain West, but his 34 career sacks impressively ranked as the second most in school history, eclipsing Jerry Hughes' total for the all-time conference record. A first-team All-American after compiling 13.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss in 2019, Weaver primarily stood up off the edge and was a patient, crafty pass rusher. He profiles as a low-end starter or depth option for the 'Fins, though at age 21, he does have room to grow.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

May 7, 2020, 2:44 PM ET

FeminineEveryGraysquirrel-max-1mb.gif

(still more exciting than the schedule release - no matter how much NFLN try to hype it up, its a glorified tweet zzzz...)

Curtis Weaver DE, Miami Dolphins

Dolphins signed fifth-round DE Curtis Weaver to a four-year contract.

Weaver's production as a three-year starter at Boise State was inflated due to the below-average blocking he faced in the Mountain West, but his 34 career sacks impressively ranked as the second most in school history, eclipsing Jerry Hughes' total for the all-time conference record. A first-team All-American after compiling 13.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss in 2019, Weaver primarily stood up off the edge and was a patient, crafty pass rusher. He profiles as a low-end starter or depth option for the 'Fins, though at age 21, he does have room to grow.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

May 7, 2020, 2:44 PM ET

Lol..Low end Starter or Depth option?

There was a time after the SB, that he was thought to be a late 1st round pick, but thanks to little workout at the Combine, and none at his personal workout, he slid like a Jet fan on a banna peel, on a waxed floor.

Weaver is not in top shape, he will probably not test very fast, may need to get stronger, but you know what is not going to be seen in the workout?

Weaver has good technique.
Weaver is relentless, and will not stop.
Weaver though not fast, has quick twitch.

Weaver is going to get in better shape in Miami, in Coach Flores's Workouts...That is 1st and foremost conclusion.

Weaver is going to get stronger, in the Dolphin's conditioning and working out program with all the other Linemen.

Weavers Technique is going to be fine tuned a bit more to help him succeed.

All that will help a player be better, then it will be up to that player to either succeed or fail...Weaver does not give me the impression of someone that will allow himself to fail. He will squirm, he will slip through, he will bend around the blocks to the point he is going to be a 1st grade pain in the butt to keep under control, or stop from getting preasure in the backfield when he catches up to the NFL.

Other then Tua, this is my favorite pick, a backup is where he will begin, but not where he will be by seasons end, or possibly mid-seasons.

I think the best explanation is that he is crafty, he isnt a guy who wins with speed and athleticism; he isn’t a guy who wins with a spin move or has only one trick up his sleeve. He’s really sound technically he has really good hands he’s got a pretty good first step and has incredible bend, so he doesn’t often get pushed up field out of the play.

I don’t know what his weight was his final year he still had some good production. He’s listed at 265 I could see him playing between 255 and 260 while getting stronger, and being a pretty good pass rusher. While he’s not going to be elite because he doesn’t have crazy explosion, he could be one of those guys that sticks around the league for a decade because he was able to be pretty balanced and win multiple ways which most certainly translates.

were Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor also projected as "low end starters?"
I think Taylor was seen by Jimmy Johnson as a player who could come in and be a special player eventually
Thomas was seen as more of a special team player who could be a possible backup LB.

Taylor came in and developed quickly into a HOF player, while Thomas ended up being probably the best MLB in Dolphin history.

I think Taylor was seen by Jimmy Johnson as a player who could come in and be a special player eventually
Thomas was seen as more of a special team player who could be a possible backup LB.

Taylor came in and developed quickly into a HOF player, while Thomas ended up being probably the best MLB in Dolphin history.
My point is that Jason was a 3rd rounder and Zach a 4th rounder while Weaver, a 5th rounder was projected by some gurus to be taken in the second round. I don't see where an assumption can be made that at best he's a "low end starter"

Weaver, just like DVP, is going to have to learn how to take his health and diet more seriously. Below is a little cut and paste. It won't take much effort to find out who the player is. For fun just try and guess. We all know him. And from what I have been told, this isn't the half of it.

The stretching therapist comes to his house two or three times a week. He goes to the massage therapist another two or three times. On the night after games, a nurse comes over and puts intravenous fluids in his arm packed with 13 healing goodies. B-12. Vitamin C. Glucosamine to soothe the joints. Traumeel, a homeopathic anti-inflammatory. He's studied what all 13 do.

With the IV in him, he sits for an hour in his oxygen-filled hyperbaric chamber, the king-sized one he upgraded to recently. "When you get more oxygen, the [fluids] go deeper into the muscle," he says. The hyperbaric chamber routine changes later in the week. An IV isn't involved. A playbook is.

My point is that Jason was a 3rd rounder and Zach a 4th rounder while Weaver, a 5th rounder was projected by some gurus to be taken in the second round. I don't see where an assumption can be made that at best he's a "low end starter"
Actually Zach Thomas was a 5th rounder too

Lol..Low end Starter or Depth option?

There was a time after the SB, that he was thought to be a late 1st round pick, but thanks to little workout at the Combine, and none at his personal workout, he slid like a Jet fan on a banna peel, on a waxed floor.

Weaver is not in top shape, he will probably not test very fast, may need to get stronger, but you know what is not going to be seen in the workout?

Weaver has good technique.
Weaver is relentless, and will not stop.
Weaver though not fast, has quick twitch.

Weaver is going to get in better shape in Miami, in Coach Flores's Workouts...That is 1st and foremost conclusion.

Weaver is going to get stronger, in the Dolphin's conditioning and working out program with all the other Linemen.

Weavers Technique is going to be fine tuned a bit more to help him succeed.

All that will help a player be better, then it will be up to that player to either succeed or fail...Weaver does not give me the impression of someone that will allow himself to fail. He will squirm, he will slip through, he will bend around the blocks to the point he is going to be a 1st grade pain in the butt to keep under control, or stop from getting preasure in the backfield when he catches up to the NFL.

Other then Tua, this is my favorite pick, a backup is where he will begin, but not where he will be by seasons end, or possibly mid-seasons.
Have you ever heard, "looks like Tarzan but likes like Jane?".........well, Weaver might not look like Tarzan but played like one in college. One of those guys that just gets the job done.

I think Weaver is the perfect kind of kid Flores can mold into a real PRO.

I mean if you read between he lines -- they're already messin' with the kids mind!

There's this "thing" called motivation. Great coaches know how it works.

If Flores is as good as I think he is --- he's an excellent motivator.

And you can bet that dynamic (in terms of potential) went into all our picks...

Lol...I remember how Del Rio Signed with us, because there would be no Compitition for Middle LB...took a few turns as starter, then Zach came in, and Del Rio was out of a job, as he never got the starter position again.

Sometimes you can just spot or feel greatness right away.

I don't know if I did it here in this website or another, but when we took Zach, I was very vocal that I felt something about him, had a feeling he was going to succeed...I have that feeling again with Weaver.

Weaver has a lot of intangibles to work with. He may not be the most athletic or speediest guy around, but he plays with savvy and smarts. Unfortunately he not in the best of shape, which is why I feel he can improve on his game immensely; with better weight management and training. His potential is very high, if he just allows himself to take to the coaching he's about to get from Flores.

Back
Top Bottom