Wednesday 6/2/04 QB Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wednesday 6/2/04 QB Camp Report

Finsflurry

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Once again Timbo was missing...now I'm getting a little annoyed, I understand its only minicamp and he's a veteran, but come on at least attend 1 out of the 3 practices. He's still one of if not the most out of shape person on the team and needs conditioning pronto, I'm just praying he does the right things. Ricky was back out there maybe he heard we had practice today lol, but JT was missing, CK posted about this but do you know the actual reason he's gone? Wade Smith looked relieved he wasn't there lol. They did a lot of special teams and punt drills int he beginning, if the season started today I think Russell would be our punt returner with Simmons/Newson backing him up...Russell has the explosion and moves you want back there and will make some things happen. I don't think Wilkins is gonna make the cut, he's slower, older, and has way fewer moves than some of younger guys, at this point he's training camp fodder. One problem Russell does have is locating and catching the ball, it seems to me he breaks late and doesn't have the best set of hands but this can all be corrected, one thing was he a return man at college? Matt Turk was booming some huge punts, easily beating Derek Jones in distance, hangtime, and placement, he's gonna have another solid year.

CBs were doing interception drills, Lousidor and Edwards (again) dropped their balls then Knight did and Madison dropped it making fun of Knight. Edwards is always bobbling or dropping balls, makes me wonder about his attention span. During the first o-line drills it was all about the 60s, meaning 60-German 68-McKinney and 69-Whitley, who were earning tons of praise from Wise and McKinney nearly ran over Pape on one play. Again, no pads but still encouraging to see that great explosion and power. The QBs were doing their basic warm up drills and all looking sharp, however if you struggle in these drills you don't belong in the NFL. By the way, 2004 Biggest Afro goes to Reggie Howard with a close second to Korey Banks. Jay started to look better and better, with a nice bomb that Chambers had to adjust to but at least he didn't overthrow him completely. AJ struggled a bit with his accuracy, his main problem is not throwing wide but underthrowing and overthrowing some times. His form is not always the best and then the ball starts to float and he struggles, he played decent but a notch below Fiedler. Sage is so far down the depth chart it's not even funny, whenever a real drill starts he's either with the coaches or not even on the field, he wasn't even dressed yesterday for the scrimmage. At least give the guy a fighting chance, they are just burying him now. This was a real slow boring hot practice, finally they scrimmaged.

Minor stopped by Zach 2 yds
Jay quick pass to Boston
Screen to Ricky dropped
Jay excellent pass to Chambers on deep seam
Minor 2 yd gain
Jay quick out to Chambers, Jay's on point right now
Feeley to Newson nice and easy over the middle
Feely dump off to McMichael
Quick screen to Minor
Russell 5 yard gain
Feeley out to Boston (very easy throws by AJ)
Donald Lee 5 yard catch, gets smacked by Edwards on the only real hit of the day
Ricky 2 yard gain
Seau great outside blitz sack
Jay nice seam to Chambers
Ricky 4 yd gain
Jay rollout 10 yarder to Lee
AJ quick in to Chambers
Minor nearly gets suplexed by Chester
Feeley underthrows Boston
Minor quick flip out route
Jay quick out to Thompson
Jay gorgeous pump and go to Wilkins 30 yard strike
Russell stopped at LOS
Russell burst run to outside 10 yds
Feeley screen to Russell, falls down but scoots for a few
Eddie Moore and Ayanbadejo stop Russell in backfield
Feeley running around probably a sack here
Feeley batted down by Romero

7 on 7s

Jay quick pass to Chambers
Jay out to Ricky
Jay way behind DBoston
Juggled and caught by Donald Lee
Lee another nice catch and run
Konrad out of backfield minimal gain
Williams drops pass from Feeley
Feeley picked off on a terrible throw by Knight
Feeley complete to Chambers
Feeley quick out to Newson
Again to Newson
Feeley bad pass knocked away by Moore
Feidler great throw to Lee in corner of end zone
Jay to Lee again
Nice one-handed grab by Chambers
Feeley nice in route to Jones
Feeley sweet throw to Simmons in double coverage

3 Stars

Chris Chambers: Ran great routes and caught everything within a 3 mile radius. Amazing day all-around with several spectacular catches.

Jay Fiedler: Threw with poise had great touch on all the throws, some of the best deep outs and deep balls I've ever seen him throw along with his customary short-range play.

Donald Lee: Several nice athletic catches, will be used so much more this year and is evolving into a very nice player.

Highlight: The pass to Wilkins from Fiedler, absolutely dead on the money and in stride.

Lowlight: Feeley's pick, bad decsion, bad pass, bad everything.

Thanks again today. Was Timbo even there? The newspaper reports had him with a muscle pull in the leg yesterday.

Thanks again today. Was Timbo even there? The newspaper reports had him with a muscle pull in the leg yesterday.

No I didnt see him or JT out there at all.

Nice report, and for the most part I saw what you did. The one exception is PR. I came away with a completely different impression. I thought that Wilkins caught the ball much cleaner and right in the bread basket every time. Russel kept trying to catch it with his hands, droped 2 and bobbled a couple others. And since they weren't returning, only catching and taking 2 steps, I'm not sure how you evaluated their return ability. As a WR I don't think he has done anything yet, but at this point, I think Wilkins is clearly our punt returner. I think Russel is better suited as a KR.

I have to go do some work, then I'll write up my full report and we can argue later... :D

Nice report Finsflurry. It's especially good to see Chambers continue to emerge as the goto receiver.

Concerning Timbo, I believe that he has a Calf injury that is sidelining him right now.

JT has a golf tournament to go to.

Nice report, and for the most part I saw what you did. The one exception is PR. I came away with a completely different impression. I thought that Wilkins caught the ball much cleaner and right in the bread basket every time. Russel kept trying to catch it with his hands, droped 2 and bobbled a couple others. And since they weren't returning, only catching and taking 2 steps, I'm not sure how you evaluated their return ability. As a WR I don't think he has done anything yet, but at this point, I think Wilkins is clearly our punt returner. I think Russel is better suited as a KR.

Oh no doubt Wilkins caught it much cleaner, you're 100% right on that one, he's very experienced in this area, and in my report I said Russell's timing and hands are not as good. But as far as speed and actually returning, I think Russell is more explosive and poised to break just by the way he moves in practice, while he might make a mistake or two along the way, I think it would pan out the best if he was the primary returner. Wilkins I don't even think will make the team because that's too many WRs and that roster spot is too valuable.

The way I originally wrote it makes it seem like I was talking about Wilkins having trouble, but I meant Russell sorry about that. I agree with you Dude he was much more comfortable.

Great report, thanks!

Question- is it customary for 3rd stringers to not get any reps like Sage? For someone who doesn't get squat in TC, he seems to really rock in preseason and that mop up game last year. That there tells me he deserves a little work.

I havnt heard Sam Simmons's named mentioned much and he was drafted to be our punt returner...I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilkins the last WR cut in place of Simmons solely based on KR and PR duties

Finsflurry said:
Once again Timbo was missing...now I'm getting a little annoyed, I understand its only minicamp and he's a veteran, but come on at least attend 1 out of the 3 practices. He's still one of if not the most out of shape person on the team and needs conditioning pronto, I'm just praying he does the right things. Ricky was back out there maybe he heard we had practice today lol, but JT was missing, CK posted about this but do you know the actual reason he's gone? Wade Smith looked relieved he wasn't there lol. They did a lot of special teams and punt drills int he beginning, if the season started today I think Russell would be our punt returner with Simmons/Newson backing him up...Russell has the explosion and moves you want back there and will make some things happen. I don't think Wilkins is gonna make the cut, he's slower, older, and has way fewer moves than some of younger guys, at this point he's training camp fodder. One problem he does have is locating and catching the ball, it seems to me he breaks late and doesn't have the best set of hands but this can all be corrected, one thing was he a return man at college? Matt Turk was booming some huge punts, easily beating Derek Jones in distance, hangtime, and placement, he's gonna have another solid year.

CBs were doing interception drills, Lousidor and Edwards (again) dropped their balls then Knight did and Madison dropped it making fun of Knight. Edwards is always bobbling or dropping balls, makes me wonder about his attention span. During the first o-line drills it was all about the 60s, meaning 60-German 68-McKinney and 69-Whitley, who were earning tons of praise from Wise and McKinney nearly ran over Pape on one play. Again, no pads but still encouraging to see that great explosion and power. The QBs were doing their basic warm up drills and all looking sharp, however if you struggle in these drills you don't belong in the NFL. By the way, 2004 Biggest Afro goes to Reggie Howard with a close second to Korey Banks. Jay started to look better and better, with a nice bomb that Chambers had to adjust to but at least he didn't overthrow him completely. AJ struggled a bit with his accuracy, his main problem is not throwing wide but underthrowing and overthrowing some times. His form is not always the best and then the ball starts to float and he struggles, he played decent but a notch below Fiedler. Sage is so far down the depth chart it's not even funny, whenever a real drill starts he's either with the coaches or not even on the field, he wasn't even dressed yesterday for the scrimmage. At least give the guy a fighting chance, they are just burying him now. This was a real slow boring hot practice, finally they scrimmaged.

Minor stopped by Zach 2 yds
Jay quick pass to Boston
Screen to Ricky dropped
Jay excellent pass to Chambers on deep seam
Minor 2 yd gain
Jay quick out to Chambers, Jay's on point right now
Feeley to Newson nice and easy over the middle
Feely dump off to McMichael
Quick screen to Minor
Russell 5 yard gain
Feeley out to Boston (very easy throws by AJ)
Donald Lee 5 yard catch, gets smacked by Edwards on the only real hit of the day
Ricky 2 yard gain
Seau great outside blitz sack
Jay nice seam to Chambers
Ricky 4 yd gain
Jay rollout 10 yarder to Lee
AJ quick in to Chambers
Minor nearly gets suplexed by Chester
Feeley underthrows Boston
Minor quick flip out route
Jay quick out to Thompson
Jay gorgeous pump and go to Wilkins 30 yard strike
Russell stopped at LOS
Russell burst run to outside 10 yds
Feeley screen to Russell, falls down but scoots for a few
Eddie Moore and Ayanbadejo stop Russell in backfield
Feeley running around probably a sack here
Feeley batted down by Romero

7 on 7s

Jay quick pass to Chambers
Jay out to Ricky
Jay way behind DBoston
Juggled and caught by Donald Lee
Lee another nice catch and run
Konrad out of backfield minimal gain
Williams drops pass from Feeley
Feeley picked off on a terrible throw by Knight
Feeley complete to Chambers
Feeley quick out to Newson
Again to Newson
Feeley bad pass knocked away by Moore
Feidler great throw to Lee in corner of end zone
Jay to Lee again
Nice one-handed grab by Chambers
Feeley nice in route to Jones
Feeley sweet throw to Simmons in double coverage

3 Stars

Chris Chambers: Ran great routes and caught everything within a 3 mile radius. Amazing day all-around with several spectacular catches.

Jay Fiedler: Threw with poise had great touch on all the throws, some of the best deep outs and deep balls I've ever seen him throw along with his customary short-range play.

Donald Lee: Several nice athletic catches, will be used so much more this year and is evolving into a very nice player.

Highlight: The pass to Wilkins from Fiedler, absolutely dead on the money and in stride.

Lowlight: Feeley's pick, bad decsion, bad pass, bad everything.

I have to agree with pretty much everything you said. i was hoping after yesterday, feeley was showing us some things to come. Today, he looked like a completely different person with Fiedler clearly better, today anyway.

CC, understandably [contract yr], is looking as good as ever with real good mitts.

So far, IMO, Boston hasn't lived up to his hype yet. Maybe he's one that doggs it during practice and puts out come game time. if so, not an attitude i care much for.

I don't, however, share the same feelings you did for Turk. I didn't see many high boomers in particular that he's used to doing. Most were more line drive types and most did not come off his foot right and were wobblers instead of spirals. But i'm not worried about him very much and will just write it off as one of those days.

you didn't see Sage out there yesterday? Well, I'll put it this way, some dude was wearing #18. ;)

Timbo was there yesterday also. He just didn't do anything tho.

Korey Banks with the biggest 'fro? Well, yesterday maybe, but he had it all buzzed today.

anyway, did ya notice anything peculiar about Pope and Bua?? Isn't Pope the black kid and Bua the white one, right? Well, if so, damned if they didn't have their jersies switched today then, cuz the kid wearing 33 was black and the 51 jersey had a white dude in it. Just wondering!
Maybe i'll see ya out there tomorrow. i'll look for the dude with the clip board jotting down everything !! Good job tho. :)

Finsflurry said:
One problem Russell does have is locating and catching the ball, it seems to me he breaks late and doesn't have the best set of hands but this can all be corrected, one thing was he a return man at college?

Russell was strickly a RB in college.

Finsflurry said:
JT was missing, CK posted about this but do you know the actual reason he's gone?

One problem Russell does have is locating and catching the ball, it seems to me he breaks late and doesn't have the best set of hands but this can all be corrected, one thing was he a return man at college?

Read the JT had a golf tourny for a couple days.

No, Russell did not return any kicks, punts or kickoffs, in college.

Well glad to see Ricky's back and was their anything special about Boston;catches, blocks, etc.????

Love the report, good job

Back
Top Bottom