Week One Observations | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Week One Observations

Sirspud

Pro Bowler
Club Member
Reaction score
We scored more than the opponent! We beat a well coached division opponent in their house in a hotly contested game! We beat the Pats in Foxborough! We're in first place!

QB - could it have been better? Yeah it could. QB could have handled pressure better still. QB could have made some other throws, not thrown that heave that ended up getting picked. But it was a pretty good effort overall. There was a lot of pressure throughout the game, some bad play designs, and still the QB challenged all levels of coverage and made some throws downfield that forced the defense to play honest off coverage that opened up the easy completions on slants and things that were needed to seal the game.
RBs - They did well with their opportunities. No complaints.
WRS - the difference in the game. How amazing was it to see an explosive DVP after he pretty much played 90 percent of last year on one leg. When DVP has that explosion in his step, which we all know just hasn't been there so many times due to his hamstring issues, he's a game changing player. Waddle, I mean he showed some of the same stuff as DVP. The athletic plays were impressive, and as advertised, but catching a contested ball downfield showed me that he is capable of being more than Albert Wilson. And props to Wilson for challenging them downfield too. The difference in the game may have been that athletic lunge for the end zone by Waddle which only guys with elite physical talent can do - shows you the small differences that elite talent can make in a game.
TE's - None of them including Gesicki were a focal point of the passing game. I'm ok with Gesicki not dominating every game from the TE position, but I do wish that ball being juggled that ended up intercepted would have been brought in.
Offensive line - Can't really say it was an impressive effort, but at the same time I know it could have been worse. We're gonna be compensating for these guys all year long, and that will be most felt on third and long, which was a disaster on all but one play I can remember - and Waddle still dropped that pass.
Defense - not gonna separate into units. It was bend but don't break, and while I know that won't impress some, the reality is that the opponent had a good gameplan, the QB was decisive and accurate, and they got the ball out quickly to receivers on most plays. But when the field was compressed and the lanes were narrow, the opponent only got into the end zone with the help of a penalty that was correct but still a hard one to see and matter of circumstance more than anything. This defense was HUNGRY for the football all game, contesting catches where possible and trying to come up with the ball when the chance was there. In the end, they CREATED two turnovers and provided opportunities for even more.
ST - did what they were supposed to.

Other thoughts-
I like Brissett doing sneaks, he's a big guy, Tua is a small guy, and I've never like the idea of your QB taking hits from all sides no matter how big they are. I just hated that silly sequence before half where we got the penalty.
The play design early was good, and then tailed off exactly like you'd expect from inexperience coordinators. I like that they found a way to push the ball downfield, and the QB was able to get easy quick completions with off coverage - not sure if that was play call, RPO, or hot route. But man, the third and longs are very concerning. It's not just that we weren't converting them with a weak offensive line - it's that pretty much from the get go the receivers weren't really heading to open space, so when the protection predictably broke down the QB didn't really have an outlet to just get rid of the ball and live another day. Only one time did I see the QB fail to get the rid of the ball to an open guy underneath - other than that, I just didn't see any chances to get rid of the ball at all before having to attempt to bail on the pocket, possibly taking a sack or having to abruptly try to get rid of the ball. That was a huge difference in why Mac Jones was able to avoid sacks while Tua wasn't - there just weren't the same opportunities to safely get rid of the ball in our offense, while Mac almost always had a receiver immediately open that he could hit with impunity if pressure came.
Defense - we subtracted talent in the offseason, and while for some that may not seem a big deal if the role players did well last year, but when the unit has less talent overall, guys who have bigger roles will have to try and impact the game with less fresh legs than before, and the guys giving them a spell may not be as good. This team had a lot of success with guys like Van Ginkle rotating in and impacting the game, and at least until someone like Phillips emerges, we don't have those same chess pieces to rotate in with fresh legs - at least in the front 7.

I agree. We're not to be taken seriously when there's pressure constantly and guys aren't really getting separation.

Wish and Gesicki = 0 catches šŸ˜

I agree. We're not to be taken seriously when there's pressure constantly and guys aren't really getting separation.

Wish and Gesicki = 0 catches šŸ˜
I think the receivers got plenty of "seperation". It was more what was being asked of them. On third and long guys weren't being asked to find soft spots in zones or anything, they all seemed to be running long developing routes which this line just couldn't provide the time for on obvious passing situations. I mean on third and long you're always gonna have some longer routes, but the team has to do more to provide outlet receivers to give the QB a chance. Everytime the pocket broke down, which happened on all but one third and long I can remember (the Waddle drop), the QB bought time but still was pressed to get the ball anywhere that wouldn't draw a penalty - taking some big hits and having that one turnover happen on an attempted throwaway he just couldn't off.

We scored more than the opponent! We beat a well coached division opponent in their house in a hotly contested game! We beat the Pats in Foxborough! We're in first place!

QB - could it have been better? Yeah it could. QB could have handled pressure better still. QB could have made some other throws, not thrown that heave that ended up getting picked. But it was a pretty good effort overall. There was a lot of pressure throughout the game, some bad play designs, and still the QB challenged all levels of coverage and made some throws downfield that forced the defense to play honest off coverage that opened up the easy completions on slants and things that were needed to seal the game.
RBs - They did well with their opportunities. No complaints.
WRS - the difference in the game. How amazing was it to see an explosive DVP after he pretty much played 90 percent of last year on one leg. When DVP has that explosion in his step, which we all know just hasn't been there so many times due to his hamstring issues, he's a game changing player. Waddle, I mean he showed some of the same stuff as DVP. The athletic plays were impressive, and as advertised, but catching a contested ball downfield showed me that he is capable of being more than Albert Wilson. And props to Wilson for challenging them downfield too. The difference in the game may have been that athletic lunge for the end zone by Waddle which only guys with elite physical talent can do - shows you the small differences that elite talent can make in a game.
TE's - None of them including Gesicki were a focal point of the passing game. I'm ok with Gesicki not dominating every game from the TE position, but I do wish that ball being juggled that ended up intercepted would have been brought in.
Offensive line - Can't really say it was an impressive effort, but at the same time I know it could have been worse. We're gonna be compensating for these guys all year long, and that will be most felt on third and long, which was a disaster on all but one play I can remember - and Waddle still dropped that pass.
Defense - not gonna separate into units. It was bend but don't break, and while I know that won't impress some, the reality is that the opponent had a good gameplan, the QB was decisive and accurate, and they got the ball out quickly to receivers on most plays. But when the field was compressed and the lanes were narrow, the opponent only got into the end zone with the help of a penalty that was correct but still a hard one to see and matter of circumstance more than anything. This defense was HUNGRY for the football all game, contesting catches where possible and trying to come up with the ball when the chance was there. In the end, they CREATED two turnovers and provided opportunities for even more.
ST - did what they were supposed to.

Other thoughts-
I like Brissett doing sneaks, he's a big guy, Tua is a small guy, and I've never like the idea of your QB taking hits from all sides no matter how big they are. I just hated that silly sequence before half where we got the penalty.
The play design early was good, and then tailed off exactly like you'd expect from inexperience coordinators. I like that they found a way to push the ball downfield, and the QB was able to get easy quick completions with off coverage - not sure if that was play call, RPO, or hot route. But man, the third and longs are very concerning. It's not just that we weren't converting them with a weak offensive line - it's that pretty much from the get go the receivers weren't really heading to open space, so when the protection predictably broke down the QB didn't really have an outlet to just get rid of the ball and live another day. Only one time did I see the QB fail to get the rid of the ball to an open guy underneath - other than that, I just didn't see any chances to get rid of the ball at all before having to attempt to bail on the pocket, possibly taking a sack or having to abruptly try to get rid of the ball. That was a huge difference in why Mac Jones was able to avoid sacks while Tua wasn't - there just weren't the same opportunities to safely get rid of the ball in our offense, while Mac almost always had a receiver immediately open that he could hit with impunity if pressure came.
Defense - we subtracted talent in the offseason, and while for some that may not seem a big deal if the role players did well last year, but when the unit has less talent overall, guys who have bigger roles will have to try and impact the game with less fresh legs than before, and the guys giving them a spell may not be as good. This team had a lot of success with guys like Van Ginkle rotating in and impacting the game, and at least until someone like Phillips emerges, we don't have those same chess pieces to rotate in with fresh legs - at least in the front 7.
I dont agree that we subtracted talent on defense. We subtracted some experience but we Gained talent. It will show soon. Holland and Philips will be making their talents felt on the field soon, IMO.

The worst position group in the building was the Dolphins O-line, possibly NE's WRs as well.
Yet, if you watch games around the league, Dolphins O line is def not the worst. In almost every game with a lopsided score, the losing team's O-line killed 'em.

I dont agree that we subtracted talent on defense. We subtracted some experience but we Gained talent. It will show soon. Holland and Philips will be making their talents felt on the field soon, IMO.
I mean I think in the long run its possible that both these guys could be good - more likely for Holland than Phillips right now it would see. But in the short term I think its a net loss, and it was an effect for guys like Van Ginkel to be going from role player to starter, without players the caliber of Van Ginkel able to come in.

The one place we probably improved was the secondary - but it is an area that we really didn't have a weak link in last year even if not every guy made game changing plays. But I think being stronger there may have less chance to impact the game than say, being stronger with a lot of situational pass rushers or guys who can't be moved from their lanes in the front 7.

The worst position group in the building was the Dolphins O-line, possibly NE's WRs as well.
Yet, if you watch games around the league, Dolphins O line is def not the worst. In almost every game with a lopsided score, the losing team's O-line killed 'em.

Especially when you consider they're going up a strong Patriots DL and opposing coaches that know them better than anyone.
Miami will dominate some "lesser" teams this year.

I knew we'd beat NE. The real test is going to be against the Bills! That's honestly our litmus test and the bully that's keeping us from our goals.

I mean I think in the long run its possible that both these guys could be good - more likely for Holland than Phillips right now it would see. But in the short term I think its a net loss, and it was an effect for guys like Van Ginkel to be going from role player to starter, without players the caliber of Van Ginkel able to come in.

The one place we probably improved was the secondary - but it is an area that we really didn't have a weak link in last year even if not every guy made game changing plays. But I think being stronger there may have less chance to impact the game than say, being stronger with a lot of situational pass rushers or guys who can't be moved from their lanes in the front 7.
Why are we so down on Philips? He had a slow camp and is playing catchup but athletes of his caliber will 'get there' sooner than later. The only 'flaw' I ever heard about Philips was injury concern.

There were definitely some putrid offensive line performances around the league. I mean Chander Jones alone got 5 sacks, and somehow saying this still doesn't give credence to just how awful that Titans line was. Fitz was just getting crushed on every snap before he got hurt barely a quarter into the new season.

I'm almost encouraged that we weren't putrid because I thinkt he opportunity was there. But I see that same inability to block on third and long that happened so many times throughout Tannehill's tenure, and I feel like I know how this story ends already.
We started a rookie at LT who hadnt played LT all offseason and yet it didnt look like what Tennessee dealt with.
Liam Eichenberg certainly did better than veteran Taylor Lewan of the Titans.
Lewan physically just was not there today. He was coming off a season ended the year before and just was not physically capable of blocking a high caliber pass rusher today.

Why are we so down on Philips? He had a slow camp and is playing catchup but athletes of his caliber will 'get there' sooner than later. The only 'flaw' I ever heard about Philips was injury concern.
I wouldn't say its "down on Phillips" as much as it is saying that he hasn't really done anything so far. I was on vacation for preseason games two and three so didn't see any of them, but it seems like the consensus was after preseason that Phillis hadn't yet really shown much. He's lower on the depth chart than you'd expect our first rounder to be at a position without established players behind our starters anymore, and though I didn't see much of him today it seems like most were indicating he didn't really make much happen.

I'm mostly relying on what has filtered down to me from what he's actually put on the field right now, I haven't been able to personally observe much myself there. It just seems like a lot of guys felt he should have had more of an early impact than what he has shown so far.

Back
Top Bottom