Welbourne on Local Philly Radio this A.M. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Welbourne on Local Philly Radio this A.M.

phinphanbill

Practice Squad
Reaction score
John Welbourne was on Philadelphia's local Sports Talk station this morning - WIP (610 AM). He had a lot of information to provide and bashed the Eagle's organization on a lot of fronts. Here's what he said:

1) The Eagles give lots of money to Free Agents (TO, Runyan, Kearse) but do little to take care of their own (not including D. McNabb and B. Dawkins).

2) He's seen a lot of former Eagle's treated like crap at the end of their deals (T. Vincent, B. Taylor, D. Staley, B. Mitchell, H. Douglas, J. Trotter).

3) The front office has only drafted one starter since Andy Reid took over as GM and Tom Modrak was shown the door three years ago. The team is headed in the wrong direction.

4) He signed a long-term deal right after coming off a serious knee injury with the Eagles when nobody else was offering anything. Now he wants to paid commensurate with other All-Pro caliber guards. He mentioned Damien Woody because Woody is coming off a serious knee injury, too.

5) He feels trapped by the Eagles with his current deal...he'll be over the hill in terms of age for an offensive lineman by the time he is a free agent and can cash in.

6) He made it clear that he needs a new deal or be traded.

7) He also offered to be a regular (daily or weekly) on the radio show to give insight into what's going on with the Eagles if a new deal isn't done.

8) He said to call him "Honest John" from now on.

9) He admitted that he spoke to AJ Feeley, but would not comment on their conversation.

He clearly is looking to get out of Philly. And I think the price to acquire him is coming down with his public feud with the FO.

The host of the show, Angelo Cataldi, said "I think we've just been used" after the interview. Meaning Welbourn used the public airwaves to make his point clear to the FO and fans in Philly that they make a new deal or get rid of him.

As someone that "has to" watch Eagle games each week, I can say that Welbourne is a very good guard, while not spectacular (what guard is?). I doubt he will get Woody kind of money, but he is well-deserving of a raise.

I don't think he is a cancer so much as he is bitter. He asked for a payraise and was told under no uncertain terms that it wasn't gonna happen. He's been a good (quiet) soldier up to this point.

He sounds like a guy who played DE on the Dolphins last season, with the only differences being that Welbourn has a long term deal and that Welbourne isn't saying that he will hold out (yet)

This is just a gut feeling, but I think there might be some problems with the Eagles FO and it's players. There could be some dissension within the ranks if they're not careful. That "window of opportunity" that they're constantly talking about might be closing...fast.

Ummmmmmm talked to AJ did he ? Well, I wish I was a "fly on the wall "for that conversation. Anyone here think that the FO but AJ up to that phone call ? I would say yes! So maybe somthing is in the works.

Noodle Arm said:
That "window of opportunity" that they're constantly talking about might be closing...fast.

I don't know so much about that. I'm not a TO fan by any means, but he's a good WR and he will try to be on good behavior for at least the first season. McNabb + TO is a good start. They also have (I believe) the most cap room as of April 18th. I was not a huge fan of the Kearse signing but they have been to the pentultimate game 3x in a row now. I think their window will be open for a few more years.

Let's make our move to get him... ESPN said he was a breakout player last year.

Pay the man and he'll shut up I think. He would be a good addition to the phins IMO. Way better than those scrubs we've been having in and out...Bobbie Williams, Cosey Coleman, Solomon Page, Greg Randall, etc. I wouldn't want to give too much up for him though.

I think this deal would be acceptable:

1. Trade 20 for 28 (Philly) and Welbourne.
2. Trade 28, Ogun for Chicago's 14th, 46th. This is a much better deal for us than 20-->14.
3. Take Shawn Andrews at 14.

Viola, the line is set.

infiltrateib, I don,t think the Eagles make a trade till the Phins are on the clock. This would be the only way they could be sure to get their man (who ever) . So I don,t see us getting the bears pick ,they would have picked before that.

phinphanbill said:
The host of the show, Angelo Cataldi, said "I think we've just been used" after the interview.

Understatement of the century. :roflmao:

phinphanbill said:
4) He signed a long-term deal right after coming off a serious knee injury with the Eagles when nobody else was offering anything. Now he wants to paid commensurate with other All-Pro caliber guards. He mentioned Damien Woody because Woody is coming off a serious knee injury, too..
Did he bring up the fact he has missed 23 games out of a possible 80 during his career and that he has only played in 71% of the Eagles games since being drafted?

Woody injury was not nearly as serious as his was.

Welbourne is a nice OG and is young. I hope we make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom