We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO.

ChitownPhins28

Basement Dweller
Reaction score
The evidence of getting a Duke Johnson or Lindsay should be proof that we dont need to use high picks or big cash to get one.
Young players improve and DJ showed how he, as a more veteran, more physically mature player was more able to carry the rock like a boss.
His vision, shiftiness and power showed me a guy who should start in our backfield in September.
If all 4 are healthy, I wouldn't change our January 15th 2022 backfield at all.
Duke Johnson, Lindsay, Gaskin, Ahmed.
I wouldn't go nuts to add to it. Something good could fall into our laps because of how much 'volume of inventory' there is.

Im just saying Im seeing a lot of posters putting 'RB' as a big need. I dont agree.

I think it's definitely a major need, the RB position didn't produce enough the past 3 seasons.
But I agree; you just don't shell out major bucks for a RB or draft one in the first round, unless maybe you have multiple first round picks, you've traded down, or it's the one missing piece for a super bowl run.
I think in rounds 2-4 is where to look, and it should be a priority to try to snag a keeper in that range.

If you look at San Fran's recent history they didn't use a high pick on a RB. A lot of UDFAs and late round guys (Elijah Mitchell is a 6th rounder, Breida and Raheem Mostert were UDFA). Tevin Coleman was a third rounder for Atlanta who signed a 2/10 million FA deal with San Fran. Hyde was a 2nd rounder but he was already on the roster when Shanahan and MCDaniel got there.

Edit: Forgot Jeff Wilson another UDFA

Last edited:
The evidence of getting a Duke Johnson or Lindsay should be proof that we dont need to use high picks or big cash to get one.
I don't disagree with the premise ... not sold on the backfield though ...

The proof I'm looking for is 4+ yds. per carry with a minimum of 20 per game and 1-2 touchdowns per game ... then IDC who is running the ball ... so if it's RB's, OL, scheme or a combo .... please fix it ... I mean damn these guys are supposed to be able to play and coach at this level with some degree of certainty IMO

Young players improve and DJ showed how he, as a more veteran, more physically mature player was more able to carry the rock like a boss.
His vision, shiftiness and power showed me a guy who should start in our backfield in September.
If all 4 are healthy, I wouldn't change our January 15th 2022 backfield at all.
Duke Johnson, Lindsay, Gaskin, Ahmed.
I wouldn't go nuts to add to it. Something good could fall into our laps because of how much 'volume of inventory' there is.

I'll be surprised if everyone doesn't have RB as a top 3 need though I'm uncertain of "freaking out." Mia DOES need a bell cow. That doesn't mean McD has to sign one of the best FAs nor does it mean a R1 pick. OTOH, I expect a concerted effort to find a RB with the ability to get tough yards, catch passes, and pass block. Whether that's FA or draft, I don't care. Just get the guy

The lack of respect for the running back position pisses me off. You can’t compare duke johnson and Ahmed to emmitt smiths, Ricky Williams, Terrell Buckley , ladanian tomlinson, Fred Taylor , priest Holmes ... there in a class of there own. Spend a 1st and get a damn rb!

The lack of respect for the running back position pisses me off. You can’t compare duke johnson and Ahmed to emmitt smiths, Ricky Williams, Terrell Buckley , ladanian tomlinson, Fred Taylor , priest Holmes ... there in a class of there own. Spend a 1st and get a damn rb!
1. Terrell Buckley was not a RB, he was a CB. Huh?

2. Which of those RBs led their teams to the SB?

psssst Terrell Davis

I fully expect us to take a really fast one in the mid rounds based on Shanahan's history.
This is what I'm talking about. Draft em in the later rounds. Plenty of talent to be had there regarding RBs.

I think we go with Duke, Lindsay, and Gaskin, then draft someone in round 2-4. Although, I am curious to see what McDaniels could do with what we have. I feel like we have a good crew with the right game plan and OL...

Running game in general is overrated. Look at the top 5 teams in running yards. How many went to playoffs? How many went deep?

Screen Shot 2022-02-07 at 10.26.42 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom