We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO.

The 49ers only drafted 2 Rb’s in the 5 years McDaniel was with the team and both of those RB’s were drafted in the 2021 draft. One in the 3rd round and the other in the 6th round. Mitchell, the 6th round draft pick ended up being the starter and was much more productive than Sermon, the 3rd round pick.

The 49ers have relied more on signing free agent RB’s over the past 5 years than using the draft on that position.
Have they won anything recently?

If you look at San Fran's recent history they didn't use a high pick on a RB. A lot of UDFAs and late round guys (Elijah Mitchell is a 6th rounder, Breida and Raheem Mostert were UDFA). Tevin Coleman was a third rounder for Atlanta who signed a 2/10 million FA deal with San Fran. Hyde was a 2nd rounder but he was already on the roster when Shanahan and MCDaniel got there.

Edit: Forgot Jeff Wilson another UDFA
We are not in San Francisco, nor is a 1 year coordinator going to decide all on his own who he wants in this team.

We are not in San Francisco, nor is a 1 year coordinator going to decide all on his own who he wants in this team.
Yes but you'd have to imagine the guys that hired that 1 year coordinator are going to want to draft to his strengths

There are several former 9ers RBs in free agency this year. Jeff Wilson, Matt Breida and Raheem Mostert who once was a Phin. We will have little issue with adding his "type" of back. I highly doubt they draft one in the drafts first two days.

The evidence of getting a Duke Johnson or Lindsay should be proof that we dont need to use high picks or big cash to get one.
Young players improve and DJ showed how he, as a more veteran, more physically mature player was more able to carry the rock like a boss.
His vision, shiftiness and power showed me a guy who should start in our backfield in September.
If all 4 are healthy, I wouldn't change our January 15th 2022 backfield at all.
Duke Johnson, Lindsay, Gaskin, Ahmed.
I wouldn't go nuts to add to it. Something good could fall into our laps because of how much 'volume of inventory' there is.
I was totally aligned to this thinking. RBs burn out faster than any position in football and although I still wouldn't use a 1st on a RB I would def use a 2nd rounder. Johnathan Taylor was a 2nd rounder and even if he only has one or two more great season before he falls off it was worth it for the Colts.

The evidence of getting a Duke Johnson or Lindsay should be proof that we dont need to use high picks or big cash to get one.
Young players improve and DJ showed how he, as a more veteran, more physically mature player was more able to carry the rock like a boss.
His vision, shiftiness and power showed me a guy who should start in our backfield in September.
If all 4 are healthy, I wouldn't change our January 15th 2022 backfield at all.
Duke Johnson, Lindsay, Gaskin, Ahmed.
I wouldn't go nuts to add to it. Something good could fall into our laps because of how much 'volume of inventory' there is.

The league is a passing league as we speak. I will agree with @Delvin, the statistics have shown that a better running game doesn't mean success in the league. Now there are statistics that we can't break down in one shot. A running game makes it essential for the passing game to have success. Teams like the Bucs, and the Chiefs have had a lot of success with a higher passing ratio, but also run the ball efficiently when they do.

Back
Top Bottom