We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO.

The reason Fins havent had a good running game for a long time has alot more to do with OL/Scheme than it has to do with RB talent.
Yes but the more talented RBs don't need as good of a line. We didn't have a great line for Ricky or when Ajayi was reeling off 200 yard games. Yes they are outliers but the more talented RBs with vision can make do with average lines (we haven't even had that). Last year we plugged in Duke and Lindsay who actually had some vision and they played better than the players they replaced in the lineup.

The 49ers only drafted 2 Rb’s in the 5 years McDaniel was with the team and both of those RB’s were drafted in the 2021 draft. One in the 3rd round and the other in the 6th round. Mitchell, the 6th round draft pick ended up being the starter and was much more productive than Sermon, the 3rd round pick.

The 49ers have relied more on signing free agent RB’s over the past 5 years than using the draft on that position.

The evidence of getting a Duke Johnson or Lindsay should be proof that we dont need to use high picks or big cash to get one.
Young players improve and DJ showed how he, as a more veteran, more physically mature player was more able to carry the rock like a boss.
His vision, shiftiness and power showed me a guy who should start in our backfield in September.
If all 4 are healthy, I wouldn't change our January 15th 2022 backfield at all.
Duke Johnson, Lindsay, Gaskin, Ahmed.
I wouldn't go nuts to add to it. Something good could fall into our laps because of how much 'volume of inventory' there is.
But we do need some more explosive backs in there. Our guys aren’t going to break big plays / chunk plays. I hope Duke and Lindsay stay. Everyone else, no.

Yes but the more talented RBs don't need as good of a line. We didn't have a great line for Ricky or when Ajayi was reeling off 200 yard games. Yes they are outliers but the more talented RBs with vision can make do with average lines (we haven't even had that). Last year we plugged in Duke and Lindsay who actually had some vision and they played better than the players they replaced in the lineup.

Albert - Tunsil - Pouncey - Bushrod - James was the OL in 2016
the 2021 Dolphins offense would have killed for that

Ajayi was a 5th round pick...

Dixon - Nails - Ruddy - Perry - Wade

again, putting the 2021 OL to shame
Well sure. Every line in NFL history is better than the line we have. However, Duke was a massive improvement over the schlubs we had been using all year. Now we need to add more talent.

Nice knowledge drop. So, just pick RBs that really shouldn't have any real chance of being successful and make them successful should be the plan? I don't know what you're getting at. The percentage of misses at RB after round two is much higher than the percentage of RBs that played to a pro bowl level.
You’re missing my point. Neither old man Shanahan nor Junior Shanahan invested high picks in RBs, but the scheme worked to perfection. McDaniel, by all accounts, is bringing over said scheme from Junior Shanahan (he helped to build it), so I don’t see why investing a high pick in a RB is a necessity.

You’re missing my point. Neither old man Shanahan nor Junior Shanahan invested high picks in RBs, but the scheme worked to perfection. McDaniel, by all accounts, is bringing over said scheme from Junior Shanahan (he helped to build it), so I don’t see why investing a high pick in a RB is a necessity.
Right. I get your point. However, a second-round pick should outperform a later-round pick more often than not right? Why not go get the best talent available as opposed to hoping someone else outperforms their draft status? I get that it's worked but should it have worked?

Right. I get your point. However, a second-round pick should outperform a later-round pick more often than not right? Why not go get the best talent available as opposed to hoping someone else outperforms their draft status? I get that it's worked but should it have worked?
Why take an opportunity cost of another player with a high ceiling when you can get RB talent across the board?

Its not about talent level, its about system fit. Ideally a more talented RB should outplay a less talented running back every day of the week and twice on Sundays...

That isnt the thing here. Say you want Isiah Spiller who is a top 3 runner, should go early day 2 at latest. He has power and is a patient runner. Sort of like young leveon bell, patience, wait for the hole to open and hit.

You can get a guy like Jerome Ford later on in the draft who gets the ball and goes, just explodes from the hand off. Spiller is going to be drafted higher and ranked higher every day. But is he the better back for our team if we want someone who takes the ball and goes.

I preach it every year at draft time SCHEME FIT, SCHEME FIT, SCHEME FIT, and some players can be plugged into multiple schemes, its also why it should be overlooked if you slightly over draft a player that is a scheme fit. If he's the 7th ranked rb on the board and the next best that matches what you are doing is ranked 30th, you might have to overdraft that 7th ranked guy by a round to make sure you dont get stuck with the 30th ranked

Last edited:
Because this isn't a vacuum. There's an opportunity cost to those picks and other positions that need to be filled. Running back isn't a super important position where we need to spend the higher resources compared to something like wide receiver, Oline, etc.

Back
Top Bottom