We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO. | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We're Freakin Out about RBs too much in here, IMO.

Because this isn't a vacuum. There's an opportunity cost to those picks and other positions that need to be filled. Running back isn't a super important position where we need to spend the higher resources compared to something like wide receiver, Oline, etc.
I fundamentally disagree. If we had top shelf RB talent this team would have gone much further even with this line. We have been as one dimensional as possible for a very long time. The D knows we can't run and Gaskin is going to fall down at the LOS most of the time so they just sit on the pass.

When McD sits and starts going throught the game and practice film of last year he is going to conclude two things:

1. How in the heck did Duke bust off those 100 yd games and run like he did behind this line. Theres my guy!!.

2. Why in the hell did llyin' brian keep Solomon Kindley on the bench? What a complete moron!! Thanks for the job chump!!.

The 49ers only drafted 2 Rb’s in the 5 years McDaniel was with the team and both of those RB’s were drafted in the 2021 draft. One in the 3rd round and the other in the 6th round. Mitchell, the 6th round draft pick ended up being the starter and was much more productive than Sermon, the 3rd round pick.

The 49ers have relied more on signing free agent RB’s over the past 5 years than using the draft on that position.
Is there a reason you have decided to go all-in on italics?

What Duke Johnson did is what can be called a 'gift horse'. It was Way beyond expectation. You can call it 'Found Money'. We need to honor that and pay the man a fair deal cuz he's gonna be humble and thankful and not greedy and still be 'a steal'.
Lindsay will demand more money based on where he's been in his career, and wont present anywhere near as much value.

Nice knowledge drop. So, just pick RBs that really shouldn't have any real chance of being successful and make them successful should be the plan? I don't know what you're getting at. The percentage of misses at RB after round two is much higher than the percentage of RBs that played to a pro bowl level.
You trust that guys have a system and can identify the type of player that can be successful in it.

Pearsall I'm thrilled that the system we're importing has shown to work without premium talent. Still not quite sure what the real benefit was of having a defensive head coach whose system only works if you infuse a fair amountbof your high draft picks and almost all your significant free agent dollars to build.

The reason Fins havent had a good running game for a long time has alot more to do with OL/Scheme than it has to do with RB talent.
'81 get it here, fix the line and the RB room becomes much better. You can't have your backs getting hit in the backfield all the time. It would be nice to have a back that can shed a tackle every once in awhile (DJ?) but Baldy's Breakdown showed the backs never getting touched until they had double first down status. BTW, WTF do we have in Doaks, and why didn't we get to see him on the varsity unit a time or two?

'81 get it here, fix the line and the RB room becomes much better. You can't have your backs getting hit in the backfield all the time. It would be nice to have a back that can shed a tackle every once in awhile (DJ?) but Baldy's Breakdown showed the backs never getting touched until they had double first down status. BTW, WTF do we have in Doaks, and why didn't we get to see him on the varsity unit a time or two?
I think Doaks might be a good FB convert project, he's got the size and he loves blocking, at least he said that was his number one thing when they picked him...

The reason Fins havent had a good running game for a long time has alot more to do with OL/Scheme than it has to do with RB talent.
Thank you

I can’t keep up with the idiocy around here of everyone wanting to draft a RB in the first round or trading for someone’s else’s ****
Never take your premier RB on their second contract or trade for one

Thank you

I can’t keep up with the idiocy around here of everyone wanting to draft a RB in the first round or trading for someone’s else’s ****
Never take your premier RB on their second contract or trade for one
I dont mind grabbing a FA running back on his 2nd contract, as long as he's not the top dog FA RB... Now given the the offense McDaniel runs, look out for exactly that, cheap speed FA RBs on their 2nd contract. This is where I expect the Fins to get their next 1-2 RBs... or late round speedsters...

When McD sits and starts going throught the game and practice film of last year he is going to conclude two things:

1. How in the heck did Duke bust off those 100 yd games and run like he did behind this line. Theres my guy!!.

2. Why in the hell did llyin' brian keep Solomon Kindley on the bench? What a complete moron!! Thanks for the job chump!!.

Most of us here have been around long enough to have seen both of the below . . .
A run game so dependent on a specific RB, the run game implodes when he's out
A run game that is successful regardless who the RB is. Yes, it may be more successful with the feature back, but not hurt too bad when the backup comes in. we've all seen games where the talking heads say 'Jim Taylor is now over 100 yds rushing' and think, 'with those holes *I* could have had 100 yds rushing.
My hope is McD somehow gets an OL that can open big holes AND find that feature back

IF Noah Igby wouldve been good, the pick wouldve been Brilliant and given us leverage against Howard's BS. The Idea of Igby was smart but he was either horribly coached or has a mental block or is just extremely Not Talented in certain aspects of DB play. How could Flores-Grier missed his lack of ball-skills so badly? Horrible ball skills.
The idea of Igby was flawed...you don't gamble away 1st round picks. You draft a stud in the 1st round - especially when you have as many needs as the Dolphins have. 1st round picks are gold and to throw one away on a developmental player is a sin. Even when a team had as many as Miami did that year its an absolute mistake.

Back
Top Bottom