What are ESPN Dolfans thinking? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What are ESPN Dolfans thinking?

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Wade Smith may have a lot of potential but he was terrible last season. We also drafted Taylor Whitley in the third round last year, and he wasn't active for a single game.

Offensive line by far is our biggest need. If Shawn Andrews is available at #20, we have to take him. If he isn't, we should trade down a little bit and then draft Smiley or Carey.

I understand what your saying, OL is our top need but like it or not RS will have a BPA approach. I assume that's why he picked Eddie Moore over a WR or OL last year. Either that or Moore's fighting skills. :samurai:

:french:

Originally posted by baccarat

I understand what your saying, OL is our top need but like it or not RS will have a BPA approach. I assume that's why he picked Eddie Moore over a WR or OL last year. Either that or Moore's fighting skills. :samurai:

:french:

i agree with the BPA approach, but moore was picked by wanny not RS.

Ice...you don't draft a OL in the third round and expect him to start his first year, so you can't compare Whitley that way....

Look, I like Vilma and think he will be an exceptional player in this league...He even fits the mold of the type of MLB we cherish (relatively small, 235 pounds, fast, sure tackler) but OL is obviously our greatest need... The biggest problem with Vilma, is if you draft him, you'd have to start him...so who sits ?? Zach, don't think so, Jr. - not Vilmas strong suit (SOLB), Greenwood who played quite well last year ?? We are not starving in that position yet....Yes, the thought of having Greenwood, Vilma, and Moore is exciting but won't help us this year as much as we need help in other areas. Now, if Andrews is gone, and RS can't find a suitor to draft down some an get and extra pick, which is very likely, he may stretch with our need and take a Carey or Smiley, or he may go WR, or even LB, but I would doubt that unless he can get another warm body on the OL between now and the draft (meaning possible S. Page or whoever). IMHO, at a top 15 pick, you go BPA unless you are really player-starved in a particular area. After that, you have to go need first, cause the difference in this draft class, for the most part, between the #16 guy and the #40 guy is pretty close....

After last year where so much was made about all the OL guys in both FAs and draft picks being snatched away before we addressed it, I really think the FO will not get cute. They know we have all the pieces in place to win it all if we can get the OL taken care of. That being said I would not cry too long if we got a Vilma.

Originally posted by saves
BPA

The only problem with that is people like Len Pasquertatetllgiinnrurelli saying that picks 15-40 have essentially the same grade.

WOW...this is a pretty interesting thread. We need to keep a few things in mind when it comes to us drafting from the 20 spot.

1st and probably most important...Wanny MUST WIN NOW!!!!! His coaching career is on life support here so you can bet that only an immediate impact player will be drafted first. That pretty much eliminates WR and QB. They aren't immediate need positions. OL and either Dline or LB are next (Unless by some minor niracle Sean Taylor drops to 20.

2nd...I like Vilma, don't get me wrong but the Hurricanes D was pourous against the run. I watched a few Canes games and Vilma was out of position in a few of the key running plays (WV and VT games). If he is projected to be a MLB, he should rarely be out of position.

3rd...OL is probably the only area of need that we can draft an immediate starter but we know Gallery will be gone. That pretty much leaves Andrews if we stand on 20. I have not seen a lot of him but I understand he has a weight issue but he lost quite a bit already. If he is physically sound and available...he will probably be ours.

I just think that O-line will be the first pick...barring trades up or down, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get someone on D.

Also another thing that seems to have quieted a lot is the possibility of getting the QB Losman...No one thinks he will go in the 1st rd. We don't have a 2nd but if he gets into the 3rd, we could pick him up, or maybe trade into the 2nd to get him.

Just a thought.

Oh...I also forgot to add that we tend to "Historically" draft better in the later rounds and our #1s usually of late amount to nothing...We should just stock pile 3rd, 4th, and 5th rd picks and chuck the rest.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
I agree with what was said about Vilma to the fullest. He has the potential to make Zach Thomas actually LOOK like a 5th-round pick. :tongue:

He has so much potential it's unheard of. The guy is going to be a stud. I'd love him at #20.

There would be a huge problem with taking Vilma.

Zach!!

Originally posted by ZOD

The only problem with that is people like Len Pasquertatetllgiinnrurelli saying that picks 15-40 have essentially the same grade.

Zod, just refer to him as Fat Lenny and we'll all know who you're talking about !!! :D

I've never heard that before but it does make some kind of sense tho.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

I've never heard that before but it does make some kind of sense tho.

He said it on "The Herd" thursday morning just after they discussed an article Len did about Steven Jackson. I couldn't find the article.... :huh:

I'm all for Evans/Vilma/R. Williams in rd one and Max Starks, Kelly Butler, Snee in round three.

Starks has what you look for and that potential to be great. Butler as well.

Snee is the best G with a chance to be there still.

BPA guys, we still have the June 1 cuts and other vets available for a job if we don't end up getting a certain position in the draft that we like.

Every year we have a camp surprise and I suspect this year will be no different so in the end we have no idea how it will actually end up.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
I agree with what was said about Vilma to the fullest. He has the potential to make Zach Thomas actually LOOK like a 5th-round pick. :tongue:

He has so much potential it's unheard of. The guy is going to be a stud. I'd love him at #20.

yep, yoiu have to seriously wonder how much Zach has in the tank after this year and next. i still love zach and think he will last longer than Offerdahl, but we need to get a stud LB for sure sometime and if Vilma falls, i think spielman might have a delemna on his hand and have to go with him.

Well, I would be really glad with taking J. Vilma with the 20th pick. If we took Vilma, we could put Vilma at LOLB inplace of Greenwood since he'll probably leave anyway for a team that won't take him out on passing downs.

Then we can groom Eddie Moore for this year behind Seau since it is essentially Moore's rookie year. Then when Seau retires we could have Moore start there.

And we can have Zach start for a few more years. So our line backing corp. would look like this a year down the road.

Moore/Thomas/Vilma

And when Zach retires, move Vilma inside and draft a LOLB or draft a MLB adn keep Vilma left.

So I wouldn't be upset with taking Vilma at pick #20.

Back
Top Bottom