What Are Your Opinions On Drew Lock? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Are Your Opinions On Drew Lock?

He came to my attention in the game at Florida this past season, the Gators were flying at that point in time and Mizzou were having a nothing season, looked a home banker. I had heard about the kid from folks saying how you shouldn't trust the stats he posted, he didn't have the "IT" factor and couldn't beat the good teams. Florida were a "good" team last year and ranked in the top 10 when we played Mizzou. Lock tore us a new one in the game, I thought he was easily the best QB we had faced in quiet a few years.

That game had me intrigued, I still heard folks saying he didn't have it. So I watched all of his remaining games last year and the Gators game was no one off, he was pretty much lights out for the rest of the season. I do think a lot of folks that are negative on him are focusing on the older tape and discounting the clear progression he made as he matured. What I saw was a QB who was obviously developing in a new system (he had a new OC for that final year, complete departure from the last guy and it took time for it all to click in place). Someone with an absolute cannon on his arm, someone who was able to read defenses and pick the right option, someone who was more than capable with his legs to hurt you too. All reports are that he's a great kid and he's sitting there right near the top of the all time SEC QB list in terms of TDs and yards. There is a hell of a lot to like about him, I have no doubt in my mind he'll go in the top half of the first round and I would be shocked if he got past Denver.

Oh and I'm not sure what you are watching if you think he's anything like Ryan Tannehill coming out, Tannehill college career was a disaster and he posted no where near the numbers Lock has, the only comparison is arm strength but I think Lock wins that battle too.

This guy will be the best QB of this class. The best pure passer coming out this year. Reminda me more of Phillip Rivers than Ryan Tannehill.

Saw some highlights. You can't take much away from highlights.

The kid seemed to have vision to me. He was usually scanning the field going through progression and not staring down WR. Again, these are higlights so in these he had allllll day to throw.

Saw some dangerous passes but with a well placed ball. Good arm. Can run.

Don't know squat about the kid but he looked solid.

The individual posters advocating for Lock in this thread tell me he should be a hard pass. Oh, and everything in the draft forum.

IMO Lock is the beneficiary of a weak QB class. He has a big arm and that's about it. We shouldn't draft QB in round 1 unless Murray or Haskins fall to 13 or we trade up for one of them.

Daniel Jones is really the only potential 1st rd QB that concerns me.
He has too many similarities to RT, including his demeanor. Potential potential etc etc
Thats what was said about RT.
This team needs a guy with a chip on his shoulder to play QB.

On a Broncos forum, they're mostly unhappy about the Flacco trade but are theorizing that because Flacco, unlike Keenan, is a long ball pocket passer, he will be a more suitable mentor/bridge when Elway who seems to be enamored with Lock, takes him #10

The individual posters advocating for Lock in this thread tell me he should be a hard pass. Oh, and everything in the draft forum.

I'm not advocating for him, I'm merely stating what I witnessed. A good kid with real NFL qualities to play the position and someone who can make it in the pros. He'll go in the first round probably before we pick, if you don't believe that then you have no clue how draft night works and how QBs are drafted. I've been consistent in my stating that I wouldn't trade up for him but also wouldn't be unhappy to take him at 13.

The fact that you are advocating for a hard pass makes me think that perhaps I need to be higher on the kid than I am. :)

I'm not advocating for him, I'm merely stating what I witnessed. A good kid with real NFL qualities to play the position and someone who can make it in the pros. He'll go in the first round probably before we pick, if you don't believe that then you have no clue how draft night works and how QBs are drafted. I've been consistent in my stating that I wouldn't trade up for him but also wouldn't be unhappy to take him at 13.

The fact that you are advocating for a hard pass makes me think that perhaps I need to be higher on the kid than I am. :)

LOL

Thanks for the laugh.

This is more of a Twitter knock than anyone on this board but I’ve never seen so many QB gurus in my life. I had to just start unfollowing anyone who speaks in absolutes. It’s a projection. I’ve been in shock at how serious random blogger dudes are taking themselves these days.

Slow processor with bad instincts, bad feet, and mediocre accuracy to most areas of the field. He has a big arm and good deep accuracy. Think he can start for a while, but he'd need a great supporting group to find any meaningful success. I go back and forth between Cutler meets Flacco and a poor-man's Matt Stafford.

Slow processor with bad instincts, bad feet, and mediocre accuracy to most areas of the field. He has a big arm and good deep accuracy. Think he can start for a while, but he'd need a great supporting group to find any meaningful success. I go back and forth between Cutler meets Flacco and a poor-man's Matt Stafford.

This is the gist of it right there. He has terrific physical tools to flash. But if you watch him snap after snap, game after game - you realize how slow he processes the game and what all is taking place in front of him. He doesn't see the field well or have a knack for knowing where the underneath defenders are. His arm talent and the caliber of skill position talent camoflauges a lot of his issues against weaker competition where most of his success was found. Although he ended up having a few "games of his life" type performances at the end of his career such as the Florida game. They just happen sometimes. But it just didn't happen enough to erase everything you witnessed prior to it.

I watched him pass up wide open slants over and over again in practice at the Senior Bowl. He couldn't pull the trigger because he wasn't processing the play at the speed it was happening. It's why he took a lot of bad sacks on film. It was all already there.

A lot of people like him, but I've seen this type of quarterback too many times. Dolphin fans have seen it for 7 years and many still don't quite know what they saw. Maybe never will. It happens sometimes.

I think he can start in the NFL. The tools are there. But if his career never really matches up with his physical skillset - the mental and instinctive parts will be why.

Many scouts rave about his character and personality. But to me he comes across almost as too nice of a guy. It's why I don't think losing ever really bothered him. To me, he's a spitting image of Ryan Tannehill in terms of his best traits and worst traits. He'll be too reliant on the supporting cast around him to ever excel above what's there for the taking. Similar to RB's who can only gain the yardage that's blocked for 'em.

Special football players are rare. Above average players are more abundant. Average players even more abundant than that. So on and so forth. I just feel like he's an average player at the next level. Based on what is he special? Accuracy - nope. Wins - nope. Competitiveness - nope. Athletic ability - nope. Mental processing - nope. Anticipation - nope. Arm talent - ok.

If he had an average arm, where would you draft him....

This is the gist of it right there. He has terrific physical tools to flash. But if you watch him snap after snap, game after game - you realize how slow he processes the game and what all is taking place in front of him. He doesn't see the field well or have a knack for knowing where the underneath defenders are. His arm talent and the caliber of skill position talent camoflauges a lot of his issues against weaker competition where most of his success was found. Although he ended up having a few "games of his life" type performances at the end of his career such as the Florida game. They just happen sometimes. But it just didn't happen enough to erase everything you witnessed prior to it.

I watched him pass up wide open slants over and over again in practice at the Senior Bowl. He couldn't pull the trigger because he wasn't processing the play at the speed it was happening. It's why he took a lot of bad sacks on film. It was all already there.

A lot of people like him, but I've seen this type of quarterback too many times. Dolphin fans have seen it for 7 years and many still don't quite know what they saw. Maybe never will. It happens sometimes.

I think he can start in the NFL. The tools are there. But if his career never really matches up with his physical skillset - the mental and instinctive parts will be why.

Many scouts rave about his character and personality. But to me he comes across almost as too nice of a guy. It's why I don't think losing ever really bothered him. To me, he's a spitting image of Ryan Tannehill in terms of his best traits and worst traits. He'll be too reliant on the supporting cast around him to ever excel above what's there for the taking. Similar to RB's who can only gain the yardage that's blocked for 'em.

Special football players are rare. Above average players are more abundant. Average players even more abundant than that. So on and so forth. I just feel like he's an average player at the next level. Based on what is he special? Accuracy - nope. Wins - nope. Competitiveness - nope. Athletic ability - nope. Mental processing - nope. Anticipation - nope. Arm talent - ok.

If he had an average arm, where would you draft him....

Show me better passing highlights from this year's class. This guy is hitting dudes deep on the dime. Anticipating long throws, evading dudes in the pocket. Haskins probably has the 2nd pass passing highlights... And Murray is a dual threat more akin to Pat White than Cam Newton. That type of game is limiting and cant last forever.

And for those that think this kid has a "slow processor"... Maybe this kid might just be badly coached or need more seasoning... Which comes with time and betyer coaching which will improve his ability to process the game to be come elite.

The kid had a heisman like season not too long ago. Last year he threw 44 TD's and 13 Picks with 165 passer rating for the season.

Ryan Tannehill wishes he

Back
Top Bottom