What did you break ,throw or smash watching fins games? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What did you break ,throw or smash watching fins games?

Well, I was a kid when we lost to SD in the '81 playoffs after being down 24-0 and coming back to lead very late 38-31. When Uwe Van Suckman missed a FG as regulation expired and then again in OT, I put my foot through the wall.

My Dad made me fix the sheet rock and thus I learned how to spackle so something good came out of it I guess.

Well, I was a kid when we lost to SD in the '81 playoffs after being down 24-0 and coming back to lead very late 38-31. When Uwe Van Suckman missed a FG as regulation expired and then again in OT, I put my foot through the wall.

My Dad made me fix the sheet rock and thus I learned how to spackle so something good came out of it I guess.

Watching this game was the first really painful sports moment for me. I was 10. Brutal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_in_Miami

Kellen Winslow was heroic.

I never drink during the games, just a shout, slam on the floor with my hand and then I go for a 5 mile run afterwards.

My story, which I'm not proud of but it makes a good story, was breaking one of those little handheld TV's they used to have by throwing it across the room and smashing into a wall. What makes it interesting was it was during the "clock play" game. I threw the TV after the Jets scored on their first drive in the third quarter and walked out and refused to look up any results or watch any highlight shows. It wasn't until the next day, I got to work and had a message on my phone from my mom saying "wasn't that the most exciting comeback?!" Pretty sure I've never broken anything since then...and when I moved out of that apartment years later, I found a few pieces of that shattered TV as I was cleaning out the room. I guess if I were Robert DeNiro's character in Sliver Linings Playbook, I'd have to sacrifice a little TV every time the Dolphins got behind to make sure they'd comeback. Fortunately, I'm not quite that superstitious.

I usually try to keep my cool, but I am infamous among my immediate family (and constantly reminded by them) for my behavior during the last play of the December 8, 2013 game against the Steelers--you remember, that lateral play that almost won the game for the Steelers. Toward the end of that play (before the out-of-bounds call) I threw the remote and said a few choice words. To end on a happy note, I felt the complete opposite this past December with the joy of watching us win in December in Buffalo!

jb1213

Watching this game was the first really painful sports moment for me. I was 10. Brutal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_in_Miami

Kellen Winslow was heroic.
Wow, yes. I was the same 10 or 11 and like you, it was my first traumatic sports experience too. Winslow blocked both of those FGs I think cause he kicked them so low. Winslow rumbling through our secondary is burned in my mind - whenever someone says "great TE" those images surface.

It's been years but I broke all kinds of **** when I was young and thought the fins had a shot. Back before acceptance of what it meant to be a dolphins fan sunk in. College to be exact ... after what was always already a long weekend ... no excuse but still. Mostly beer bottles and remotes but there were a few other unfortunate victims ... a bong (RIP zong), a few bottles of bourbon, a few DVD players, a lamp, a phone or 2, and I'm sure more. I've also burned fins attire I was currently wearing in effigy and threw one sweatshirt off a balcony into a neighbor's yard so I could watch their dogs tear it apart. This was common behavior for all of us during the college years ... nothing out of the ordinary.

It only happened once since my early 20's when they drafted Dion Jordan at 3 and I threw a marble ashtray through my buddy's tv. We went to a BBQ that day and I was already black out drunk by the time the draft even began ... no excuse but still (no patterns here ...). I ended up finding a bigger, nicer tv for nothin on Craigslist and had it hooked up before he got home from work ... so that was good ... but that was the last time.

Now I just laugh and rationalize terrible play with a better draft pick.

I smashed my lucky "water pipe" after tebow beat the Phins out of nowhere a few years back.

And my dad punched a hole in the wall.....after a win...lol...after the Lamar Smith game winning run in the playoffs vs the Colts.

Imagine all the things we could break if the Phins ever play in a competitive playoff affair! Maybe this year? As hopeful as ever 25 years later.

And my dad punched a hole in the wall.....after a win...lol...after the Lamar Smith game winning run in the playoffs vs the Colts.

I think that might be my favorite Dolphins play ever. Smith was so patient as the blocking took shape, and the play developed so deliberately it felt like it was in slow motion. And after how epic Smith was all day, it was the perfect was to end that game.

You can see after the play that Smith was done, done, done. Wanny used him up. Still, that day Smith had is forever.

Back
Top Bottom