What do the Bills, Pats, Jets think of Miami? *NO SMACK* | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What do the Bills, Pats, Jets think of Miami? *NO SMACK*

Well My opinion on Brown is he dances way to much. For his size he should just lower the boom. His vision will get better as the year goes on. He is going to be a fantastic back in the future. Right now O-line doesnt look that bad, Culpepper made it that bad. We need help in WR and LB.

The 2 major problems are lack of a running game(don't be fooled by the 100+ performance by Ronnie against the Jets as any of us could run for 100 yds against the Jet D) and QBs that make poor decisions. Daunte and joey have talent but they always make decisions that will kill a team in the end. you need a less flashy QB that may not give you the spectacular but will make sound decisions and not turn it over in bad spots. On D you need secondary help, you have a good front 7 but the secondary is pretty bad.

Fins: poor o-line, poor QB play, poor play calling, poor secondary play. :tongue:

Bills: poor 0-line play, poor execution of plays, poor run D. :boohoo:

Bad O-Line, Quarterback play, and Mularkey.

Bingo.

The secondary hasn't played all that well and there has been coaching mistakes.

Why the hell a 3rd string CB is covering a team's best WR is beyond me.

nyjunc said:
The 2 major problems are lack of a running game(don't be fooled by the 100+ performance by Ronnie against the Jets as any of us could run for 100 yds against the Jet D) and QBs that make poor decisions. Daunte and joey have talent but they always make decisions that will kill a team in the end. you need a less flashy QB that may not give you the spectacular but will make sound decisions and not turn it over in bad spots. On D you need secondary help, you have a good front 7 but the secondary is pretty bad.

Nice post. Though Ronnie did have his best day against the Jets. I mean he showed more power running that the past 5 weeks. I agree with the QB situation. Gus did it great. Front 7 is great but old. Miami's D wont be the same in 2-3 years :boohoo:

I don't know alot about the Dolphins other than what can be read in any national publication, but there are 2 obvious things.

1a. Culpepper. He's simply not a smart decision maker and NEVER was, even during his best year. This isn't hating on him, it's just a fact that he turns it over 1.8 times on average. That's a bad thing.

1b. Harrington. Culpepper is bad but this guy makes him look like Tom Brady.

2. Mularkey.

What's wrong with the Fins? Tough topic to summarize well but I'll give you 5 points that I think neatly tie together the problems you face.

By the numbers so when you disagree it's clear what you're disagreeing with.

1. Where's the rebuilding in rebuilding?

How come the entire defensive line is over 30? How come the heart of the defense (Zach Thomas) is also over 30? How come so many players on the team elsewhere are 29?

The Dolphins have been an aging mediocre team for half a decade now. When are the kiddie corps gonna be called in to rebuild for the future?

2. Why big name free agents every year to patch holes?

I agreed with the Ricky Williams trade, it was a brilliant one touch to solve the running game. Every other high profile signing or trade over the last half dozen years has left me scratching my head. Why bring in a severely injured QB on the decline to fix the team's QB problem? Why take a total failure of a high round pick as his backup? Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler weren't good enough to trade up for? This relates to problem 1 above also, which is if you never rebuild you'll never be great. No team in NFL history has ever pulled a free agent rabbit out of the hat and become great overnight. It's always the draft that leads to dominance.

3. What's the Dolphins offensive philosophy?

Since Marino retired the Dolphin's offense has been a mish-mash playbook that seems to always fall short at crucial times. When Ricky was around the style was clear for one year: rush to setup the pass. The next year the Dolphins just ran Ricky into the ground, and surprise, surprise he retired.

The Dolphin's probably have the most non-descript offensive personality in the league. I defy anybody to explain what they are doing on a consistent basis to score points. I'll bet the players don't even know what the overall plan is.

4. Arrogance.

I laugh everytime I hear Jason Taylor start on another one of his "We were the better team out there today, we should have crushed them" screes. Knock-knock, Jason, anybody home in there? You're 4-9 against the Jets since 2000. Believe me you have never been the better team during that time. If you were the record would be a bit better.

I think there is a culture of arrogance around the Dolphins that somehow has the team and it's fans seeing themselves as elite, when in fact they have not been an elite team since 1985. This culture then infects anybody associated with the team until they start doing silly things (Saban's bad gamble on Culpepper) that are enormously counter-productive in the long-term. Do Dolphin's fans realize that they missed out on Matt Leinart in order to get Daunte Culpepper? That 2nd round pick plus their first probably would have done the job.

5. A culture of delusions.

Seriously, when was the last time that a Dolphin team had any real shot at going to the Super Bowl? 1990? Ok, now listening to the team, the FO and the fans, how many times has the culture said "Super Bowl this year?" I only follow the Fins culture peripherally but it seems to me that every other year you guys think this is the year. It's not. From the Jet's perspective the Fins haven't been a favorite to win anything in 15 years.

BTW, I'm a lifelong Jet's fan and I wear my colors on my sleeves. That said, none of the above is talking smack. It's telling truth.

I agreed with the Ricky Williams trade, it was a brilliant one touch to solve the running game.

it was brilliant to give up multiple 1st rd picks for an underachieving back in Ricky? They were fleeced in that deal. Not onyl did NO get 2 1st rd picks but they also had the better back on their team in deuce. Ricky was great in '02 but has done nothing since except create headaches- that was a terrible trade.

nyjunc said:
it was brilliant to give up multiple 1st rd picks for an underachieving back in Ricky? They were fleeced in that deal. Not onyl did NO get 2 1st rd picks but they also had the better back on their team in deuce. Ricky was great in '02 but has done nothing since except create headaches- that was a terrible trade.

Took me a few days to respond to this one because I wanted to take a step back and see if maybe you were right for a change.

The trade for Williams was a first in 2002 (the 25 pick) and a conditional third in 2003 (turned into the 18 pick.) This for a 25 year old back with amazing potential. Ricky was THE power back prospect in the NFL when the Dolphins made the trade. This was not a trade for a 27 year old back (like Herschel Walker) who might have 3 years left and out. Ricky had 5 prime seasons in front of him, maybe as many as 6 or 7.

Ok, so on potential it was a sound trade, a first and a third for a 25 year old potential star that would turn into two firsts only if he proved out to BE that star.

What were the results?

In 2002 Ricky Williams had maybe the greatest performance in 25 years out of a power back. He rushed 383 times for 1853 yards and 16 TD's, many of them the bruising power over from the 2 yard line type. He caught 47 passes for 363 more yards and another TD. He did this without the Denver offensive line in front of him. He did this with Jay Fielder as his QB. He did this despite the fact that every team in the league spent the whole season keying on him trying to stop him.

Who was the Dolphin's leading receiver that year? Chris Chambers caught 52 passes for 734 yards. That'll strike terror in a defense, double that guy up and take a man out of the box... Yeah, right.

The trade was a masterpiece of solving the team's offensive weakness.

Then of course the Dolphin's trademark post-Marino ineptitude set in and they just tried to run Ricky every down they could in 2003. That doesn't make the move to get him not a master-stroke it just further indicts the Fins for having no thought go into an entire side of the ball.

MR NFLFAN said:
Too many turn overs kills any momentum the dolphins get going.
QB obviously you need a quality QB which neither Harrington or Culpepper appear to be.
Mularkey needs to be fired his play calls are terrible.

Really most of the problems seem to be basically with the offense. They can't seem to buy a TD and they commit too many turnovers. Your defense seems pretty good with the exception of the secondary.

damn, that was on the money

Dirtywater said:
Wow. HUGE topic, of which I am by no means qualified to answer, but I'll give it a basic shot.

Off the top, you are still transitioning from the previous regime, and the previous regimes personel. I think you underestimate this issue. Saban came here, with a lot of successful baggage, and the majority of your fanbase equated that with instant success. By instant, I mean within 2 or 3 years.

That's a lot to assume and saddle him with. This is not college. You simply can't recruit your personel. And the ones you can (free agency), you're still limited via the salary cap. I think the cap has been overlooked in your total success. If Saban had his way and was able to replace a lot of the old guard with the new guard he would, but alas the NFL in the post-salary cap era is much different than pre-cap. You have to build carefully.

You have also changed a lot of coaches (OC & DC.) I know that you have replaced them with quality individuals, but I would assume that takes time. It is hard in today's NFL to have consistancy, but the more a group plays together, the better they become as a team. It has hurt my Patriots more than some would care to acknowledge.

You guys (please don't flame me!) have also vastly overrated your players. Before this season, the majority (not all) said how good your team was, how they would take the AFC East from the Patriots for sure, and that many of your players (ie. Ronnie Brown, Zach, Taylor, etc.) were the best at their positions. I was even hearing how amazing Traylor was. Hey, they're your team and you are entitled to that opinion, but realistically they are not. Doesn't mean they are not immensly talented though. The point is that your pre-season '06 hype put false expectations on your season. And for the record, there are not many Pats players I would say are the best either.

As for your now infamous "O-Line", they are not nearly as bad as being blamed. Funny how much less pressure is on the QB position with Harrington back there. Culpepper sold a bag of goods that seemed false (as many opposing fans said before he played) about his injury status. It didn't help you fans that reports out of camp said he was "ready to go" and "looks great!".

Part of it is just bad play. Some of your position players need to step up and play better. It is a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL. I too thought you guys would be far better than you are currently playing, and part of me still believes you will start to turn it around this season.

I am not one for trash talking or running my mouth off with smack. I give the Jets a ton of credit for playing far better than I ever thought they would. I also think Buffalo is underacheiving too, I thought they would play better. As for my Pats, well, I think they are overperforming right now and thought they would have been a bit worse so far.

To sum it up, you guys have been so good for so long that I think the modern NFL is forcing you as a fanbase to rethink your team. You can't simply be Super Bowl bound or instantly turned around because you got a talented coach, RB and QB. It takes far more to create a champion, including at times, luck. There have been many talented team in the past who never won the Super Bowl either.

I would end with this. Even though you are not doing well, there are plenty of positives to build on, even if that means next season. You could have Herm Edwards or Mike Tice as your coach, more style than substance.

Now... flame on!

wow, agreeing with the patsies fans. :eek:

BwanaZulia said:
I think it really goes back to the 2005 draft.

They had no QB and Ricky returning, they should have picked up a QB not Ronnie. So in 2005, they ran well, won games with no QB and in 2006 got two QBs, one broken one who is very questionable.

Daunte looked hurt in pre-season. There is a reason he would only play for one down or one series throwing the ball once or twice. He was and is hurt. If they knew that, they should have made it a competition between Joey and Lemon.

That being said, the Dolphins are not being blown out, they are losing by small points and that to me shows they are not able to score (put up over 20 points a game) and they have not won the take away/give away battle. Yesterday was a good example, giving up the ball 3 times in any game is almost sure fire way to lose.

BZ

2005 was a bad year for qb. alex smith was the only stud and he was gone. the only other qb i wanted was charlie frye and the jury's still out on him although i love the guy's heart. walters is iffy right now and rodgers is well i dont know. i heard he's looked alright in preseason. 2006 was the qb draft and we blew it by going on that six game win streak and blowing our chance at Culter

ronnie was fine as draft pick. i realize alot of people who follow other teams just look at his numbers and figure he isnt great but watching him week in and week out the guy gets no holes to run through. for a downhill runner that's gonna stifle your production. we get one or two road graders on the oline and he'll be able to put up monster numbers. as for the qbs i'm not sure we can judge either until the oline, receivers and playcalling improve. this is the nightmare team for a qb to play for right now. defensively, the dline is fine and though old we have youth behind it that we'll find out about next year. lbs we need at least one and secondary we need two players probably

Br4dw4y5ux said:
The trade for Williams was a first in 2002 (the 25 pick) and a conditional third in 2003 (turned into the 18 pick.) This for a 25 year old back with amazing potential. Ricky was THE power back prospect in the NFL when the Dolphins made the trade. This was not a trade for a 27 year old back (like Herschel Walker) who might have 3 years left and out. Ricky had 5 prime seasons in front of him, maybe as many as 6 or 7.

ricky had done noting up to that point in his career. he was a major disappointment in NO after they gave up their draft for him. He obviously had potential and he realized it his first year w/ Miami but after that year he faded back into the NO Ricky. Miami had to realize he a likely going to hit tuhe incentives to turn the pick into a 1st rd pick so they knew they were giving up 2 1st rounders.

Br4dw4y5ux said:
In 2002 Ricky Williams had maybe the greatest performance in 25 years out of a power back. He rushed 383 times for 1853 yards and 16 TD's, many of them the bruising power over from the 2 yard line type. He caught 47 passes for 363 more yards and another TD. He did this without the Denver offensive line in front of him. He did this with Jay Fielder as his QB. He did this despite the fact that every team in the league spent the whole season keying on him trying to stop him.

Absolutely, he had an all-time great season BUT he was acquired to be the msising piece to get them to an AFC title Game and since that trade Miami hasn't even played in a playoff game.

Br4dw4y5ux said:
The trade was a masterpiece of solving the team's offensive weakness.

It was such a great trade that a team that made the playoffs 5 straight years hasn't made it since. they didn't trade for him to provide the dolphins w/ good fantasy #s in1 year, they traded for him to get to the next level and gave up 2 1st rounders for him. it was a HORRIBLE trade.

Br4dw4y5ux said:
Then of course the Dolphin's trademark post-Marino ineptitude set in and they just tried to run Ricky every down they could in 2003.

So ricky was "great" enough to do it "on his own" in '02 but in '03 it was the dolphins trying to run Ricky every down they could? he had just 9 more carries in '03 but he only averaged 3.5 YPC compared to 4.8 in '02. He settled back down to NO Ricky.

Let's recap:

Miami sends 2 1st rd picks to No for Ricky in hopes Ricky is the missing piece for a deep January run. Miami, coming off 5 straight postseason appearances then doesn't make another postseason from '02-'06, they gave up 2 1t rd picks, paid ricky alot of money, Ricky walked out on them a weeek before camp in '04, comes back after suspension in '05 and helps them then gets suspended again. yeah ti was a brilliant move:sidelol:

Back
Top Bottom