What has Spielman done Wrong | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What has Spielman done Wrong

If you have to ask this question then you're really in trouble!! It's not so much that he doesn't pick half way decent players. He just doesn't know how to wheel and deal them. When you throw away a second round draft pick for a third stringer quarterback, that's pretty pathetic in my book!! Feeley will NEVER be worth a second round pick in my eyes!! :fire:

The consensus of the board is that rs panics, overeacts, and gets swindled by other more experienced nfl execs. Im not saying he has an eye for talent, but even if he does, to give up something that no other team was willing to give is incredulous. Simply put, the rest of the league would not have given up a 2nd rounder for feeley.
The rest of the league would not have given up a third for gordon. I would have rather kept the picks and gone to battle with a guy like warner or garcia, who we could have had for a song. To spend a fourth round pick to move up one spot is dumb. To blow a third round pick for a 3rd string rb is dumb. To blow a 2nd rd pick for a 3rd string unproven qb is dumb. (Do you think the jags would have taken a 2nd for garrard? Who would you rather have feeley or garrard? The jury is still out on bell, pool, pope, bua.. But we gave away a lot of our future for next to nothing. Would any other team hire spielman as a gm? i think not, pretty sure most would agree. In the end that fact tells the whole story.

You said it all in your orig. post. Thanks for answering your ques. Look at all the players and only 2 have been viable starters for more than 1 year. The rest have been disappointments. At least in some way,shape or form. What team could any of the rest go in and start for. Granted there is future potential. Remember Yatil, Avery, Fletcher, all had potential to. We need production!

We could have had Volek from Tenn for absolutely nothing, he was a FA and ended up back w/Tenn for league min. He threw up some good games filling in for McNair in 03' and proved it last year w/ 3 games w/4-5 TD's an a couple 2 TD games. That is why. How do you trade a 2nd for a guy that did not see the field in 03' If it were a 4th or 5th, OK. Not saying I do not like Feeley, he a has heart! That is like buying a Honda for $60k. You do not do it. W/ salary cap issues and a lack of talent we could have had another player and more$$$$. Wanny figured he would either swing and miss anyway w/ the 2nd, or he knew he would be gone so what the hell!

Speilman is a good talent evaluator (for the most part), but lacks negociation skills.

finfansince72 said:
2nd rounder for Feeley, 3rd rounder for Gordon, both 3rd on the depth chart on their respective teams. Trading a 4th I believe to move up one spot to take a shaky 1st rounder in Carey. That combined with the fact that Saban wants his own talent evaluator makes Speilmans a longshot to stay here longterm.

Agree - we should call Spielman "pre-jack".

Deus Ex Dolphin said:
Well, let me see... I agree with all except

Vernon Carey: Still a question mark right now, and Rick got punked into trading a fourth rounder for him. ...

Lamar Gordon: A desperation trade by Rick. Injury concerns. ...

Feeley: 75% of Ricks grade comes on this move. Should have offered a third rounder to the Eages and held firm. They would have taken it come draft time. If Feeley starts and is solid, all is forgiven.

The Feeley trade is the dagger in the heart. While other teams were offering no more than a CONDITIONAL 4-5 rounder, this guy gives up an UNCONDITIONAL 2nd round pick. He's gone as soon as Nick finds his guy.

Im not going to fully respond to this thread because it would be a 2 page post of what he has done wrong.........

Ill say this, Spielman is a good evaluator of late round talent. He was a good draft guy IMO and got decent players in the latter rounds. Tradewise he is horrible.

finfansince72 said:
2nd rounder for Feeley, 3rd rounder for Gordon, both 3rd on the depth chart on their respective teams. Trading a 4th I believe to move up one spot to take a shaky 1st rounder in Carey. That combined with the fact that Saban wants his own talent evaluator makes Speilmans a longshot to stay here longterm.

He paid to high for Feeley for one thing. Even if feeley turns out to be pretty good the price was still too much for an unproven QB. He panicked and traded up for Carey, he should have just waited. What's the worst that would have happened? Minnesota might have taken Carey, he could have drafted lets say Wilfork and our Dline problem would not have been as bad. I know that he didn't have a crystal ball but I don't think that trade was a good idea. I don't blame him for the Gordon thing.

Geez, some of you guys hold Spielman in even lower estimation than I do. I didn't think that was possible. Keep up the good ridicule...

Back
Top Bottom