What if Demaryius Thomas runs in the low/mid 4.40s | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Demaryius Thomas runs in the low/mid 4.40s

If he runs in the 4.4's he's a first rounder to me. There are negatives associated with his work in that offense for sure, but also big positives. For one thing due to the triple option, he's probably faced more tight man coverage, press coverage, than any receiver in the draft...and he gets open against it. I realize he hasn't run a variety of routes often, but that alone is worth its weight in gold for a college receiver.

He's the most physical receiver in the draft. He makes physical catches. He stiff-arms defenders and keeps them at bay.

My question really IS speed...because of so many instances where I've seen him get caught by guys that surely run no better than 4.6 in the 40. If he can't crack below the 4.6 range then he won't even be separating from linebackers in the NFL let alone safeties or corners.
This. If he runs in the 4.4's we can probably forget about drafting him in the 2nd. Thomas has a trmendous skillset. Physicality, YAC, goes up and get the ball, has great size, great run blocker.

See I just see a different game when it comes to BeBe. There are three possible reasons he has defenders in his hip pocket whenever he catches a ball. The first is Nesbitt gives a trademark underthrow (when you're not accurate, the underthrow is the best way to give your guy the potential to make the catch without botching it up). The second is the fear we all have which is lack of speed in Demaryius. The third is that DT constantly faces tight man coverage. That's NFL style coverage. You don't see that in college much, everyone plays off and the corners generally aren't that good at it. That's why you see guys have plenty of separation and spacing. If they all had to face tight man coverage then there'd be a shift in appreciation for what "open" is and is not, just like there is in the NFL. In reality, a simple play where Demaryius gets off Chris Chancellor's press, runs a vertical and creates a step and a half of separation so that Nesbitt can throw it high and inside and Bebe will easily catch it...that's a lot harder a route to get open that way than 90% of what you're seeing a lot of other college players do.

What I fear is that he wasn't getting open because of his lack of physical ability in the speed department. But if he's got a great 40 time then that fear is basically gone and I suddenly know why I'm seeing what I'm seeing, and I'd be as bullish on Thomas as just about any WR over the years.

I see what you're trying to say....and I think I know exactly what play you're talking about (although I think it was actually Crezdon Butler pressing him on that play)...but either way...these college corners (especially the smaller ones) aren't really that good at press coverage either...

I'm looking at too many instances where he's not getting pressed and the DB's are giving him a 10 yard cushion (Sam Shields for example) and Shields doesn't even have to flip his hips to keep up with him down field...I know Shields is fast but damn...Nesbit just throws the ball up and Bebe outmuscles and out jumps him for the ball....first and goal!

The play where he stiff arms Vance Cuff to the ground at the LOS after he catches the screen pass vs. Georgia and takes off for a 75 yard touchdown is incredible....Reshad Jones has the angle on him but he just can't get there...

Then there's several instances against Duke where he can't get any seperation against this #7 (whoever he is)...again...Nesbit is throwing the football up for grabs way down field and Thomas comes down with it....he's not pressed and not facing any sort of legitimate tight man coverage...he's just outjumping and highpointing the football against a much, much smaller DB...

There's several instances here against FSU where's he's getting outrun by Dwyer and about 3 or 4 FSU linebackers....(although that Nigel Bradham might be the fastest linebacker in college football period...seriously)...

I really don't think you have to worry about that 4.4 CK....I just really don't see it...I say 4.55 at BEST....but like I said...I would be much more interested in seeing him get seperation on some NFL type routes...

That 4.55 at best has been my prediction. I honestly think a 4.6 could definitely happen. Remember we're talking hypotheticals here. I'm saying that if you were to tell me tomorrow he went out and busted a 4.44, I would look at all that tape and focus on the coverage and the route, and re-adjust my expectations for how "open" the man should have gotten on that route against that style of coverage and in that offense.

Demaryius Thomas NFL Draft scouting report
More photos » John Raoux - AP
2 months ago: Georgia Tech wide receiver Demaryius Thomas (8) outruns Clemson cornerback Marcus Gilchrist (12) to the end zone to score a third-quarter touchdown during an Atlantic Coast Conference Championship NCAA college football game Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/John Raoux)

Browse more photos »

Demaryius Thomas
6'3, 230 pounds | Wide receiver | Georgia Tech

Acceleration/Burst/Quickness: Has long, powerful strides that can get him to top speed in a blink. Does not look explosive because of his long strides but he can get going with the best of them. Lacks short area quickness, struggles when he has to shorten his strides.
Agility/Leaping Ability: Well balanced athlete with strong hips. Does not make the last second short area movement to avoid hits however. Can out leap most if not all defensive backs. Gathers himself and times the leaps well to snatch the ball at the apex of his jump.
Blocking: Top tier blocker. Comes from an offensive system that had him making important blocks countless times week in and week out. Completely takes defensive backs out of a play, very strong from head to toe. Uses proper technique with knee bend and straight arms. Gives good effort and enjoys the physical part of the game.
Body Control/Adjustment: Very balanced that can adjust left, right, and upward very well. Struggles when going down to the ground while trying to make a catch. Was often sent downfield and had the quarterback simply throw it up and Thomas consistently adjusted his body position to make the tough catch.
Concentration/Hands: Rarely drops a ball within his reach, but does have the occasional lapse in concentration when nobody is around him. Has enormous, strong hands that easily control the football. A pure hands catcher, rarely lets it get into his body.
Continued: http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/2/6/1284814/demaryius-thomas-nfl-draft

apparently he has been running under a 4.4 in preparation for the draft prior to the foot injury. this guy will rise up the charts which is fine with me. i have all the faith in the world in our FO and if they see something they like ALOT,they will jump, if not, let other teams jump on the rising talent and grab somebody who has been consistently solid for the D.

Tyshovnytsky

There's no way, he'll be around in the 6th Round
He's a 6'5", 320 lbs. runs a 4.83 and benched 225lbs 37 times ... he's a complete freak. He was 1st team all conference at Fordham, but he only went there because he waited so long to pick a school, he would have gone big time, if he jumped on his first offers. He would be a STEAL in the 5th round.

Back
Top Bottom